4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

2015 KX 250F / 450F - All New Models?

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 1:33 PM

I have read the RMZ 450 will be all new in 2015 but what about the KXF models?

The motor on the KX 450 is great but overall the bike feels big to me. In my opinion the perfect bike would be the KXF 450 motor in the CRF layout.

I would really like to get a new bike but the Honda requires some motor work to enhance the top-end and though like I said the Kawasaki's motor is great it's just a big bike for me at 5"10 185lbs.

I really don't want to buy a bike and in a few months the latest and greatest model is out and all of a sudden my bike is old or dated. I'm in no hurry because my son races and keeps me busy but I still have the fever to ride. I guess it never goes away!

MxKing809

C100_vital_1408978156

Posts: 1490

Joined: 10/13/2013

Location: Big Sand Whoops, MI USA

1/15/2014 2:11 PM

Wait till the 15's are out. You'll hear chatter if the 16's will change. With Yamaha making waves with their new bike I can see Kawi doing a over haul. Considering the Honda is fairly new and the Suzuki being new in 15 it makes sense that KX and KTM put something new out in 15 or 16. I'm getting a 14 KTM with full intentions of getting a 16 when they are new.

Stephan Evretts was interviewed in Cali a while ago and he was testing the new production model.... So it's coming

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"

TeamGreen

C100_rip_beach_shot

Posts: 12366

Joined: 11/25/2008

Location: Redding, CA USA

1/15/2014 2:12 PM

You're gonna see plenty of new stuff in '15; however, your New-Model-Dilemna happens all the time.

Go get whatever bike makes you smile!

For me? It's currently a 450SXF (13-14)

Good Luck

Dave "Ozzy" Osterman quote..."You finish in the Top Ten -OR- You Don't Eat!"
I heard him say it. He can't deny it.

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 2:20 PM

Yes you will hear chatter about the 16's when the 15's come out but we can expect the Honda and Yamaha to have little changes where the Suzuki for sure and the Kawasaki (hopefully) will be all new. Honda will probably be the only manufacturer to make a lot of changes in 16 (normal 3 year run) but the rest of the bikes will probably have small changes.

I'm a vet rider (for fun - race days are over) but I really miss riding and I would like to ride with my 11yr old while I still can. Whatever I buy i will ride for a few years since my son races and takes all of the disposable income.

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 2:28 PM

Speaking of chatter... I'm hearing the air forks will be gone in 2015.

downard254

C100_barnett_1401713166

Posts: 723

Joined: 12/10/2012

Location: Bremen, OH USA

1/15/2014 2:36 PM

Save your money and put more time into improving your riding skills. More gains to be had in that area then what a newer model can produce.

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 2:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2014 2:41 PM

I'm not racing anymore so that isn't a bid concern. I just don't want to drop $8K on a bike and next year the new model comes out.

My son is in training mode with Loretta's as the goal.

motoarmageddon

C100_133995930_1287203169

Posts: 421

Joined: 10/15/2010

Location: Murrieta, CA USA

1/15/2014 2:47 PM

brocsdad wrote: Speaking of chatter... I'm hearing the air forks will be gone in 2015.

have you ever rode with air forks? they are so good. they feel like A kit stuff

mmcmx

C100_steve_mcqueen_1388835718

Posts: 1399

Joined: 8/31/2008

Location: Perafita, AND

1/15/2014 2:52 PM

brocsdad wrote: Speaking of chatter... I'm hearing the air forks will be gone in 2015.

motoarmageddon wrote: have you ever rode with air forks? they are so good. they feel like A kit stuff

I was really skeptical at first, but since the kawi is 1 grand cheaper than any other model over here I decided to give it a go. It's been 4 months and I'm really happy with them.

seth505

C100_palajumpav

Posts: 2509

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: SD, CA USA

1/15/2014 3:12 PM

brocsdad wrote: Yes you will hear chatter about the 16's when the 15's come out but we can expect the Honda and Yamaha to have little changes where the Suzuki for sure and the Kawasaki (hopefully) will be all new. Honda will probably be the only manufacturer to make a lot of changes in 16 (normal 3 year run) but the rest of the bikes will probably have small changes.

I'm a vet rider (for fun - race days are over) but I really miss riding and I would like to ride with my 11yr old while I still can. Whatever I buy i will ride for a few years since my son races and takes all of the disposable income.

I have to ask, if you're a vet riding (even racing) for fun then why the hell would you need to enhance the CRF motor? It might not be the strongest available but it's still a 450!

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 6:09 PM

I'm not offended and I figured someone would ask.

It's just the "way" I prefer to ride. I don't really like to short shift a bike. I prefer a powerband that will rev. I would probably be better off with a 250F but the maintenance would be more costly$$$

downard254

C100_barnett_1401713166

Posts: 723

Joined: 12/10/2012

Location: Bremen, OH USA

1/15/2014 6:14 PM

I have an 06 RM 250 and love it. Still more motor than I'll ever need. I'm 46 now but used to race A, but I just really enjoy riding my two smoker. And it is so lite to boot. I'd love to get my hands on a nice 125 too, but it's just not in the cards right now.

nytsmaC

C100_136313130_1287336398

Posts: 3047

Joined: 8/10/2009

Location: middle of nowhere, CAN

1/15/2014 7:04 PM

brocsdad wrote: I'm not offended and I figured someone would ask.

It's just the "way" I prefer to ride. I don't really like to short shift a bike. I prefer a powerband that will rev. I would probably be better off with a 250F but the maintenance would be more costly$$$

You're overthinking it broski. Get a 13 Honda and put a pipe, cam and mapping on it.

JM485

C100_img_9851_1407635013

Posts: 1426

Joined: 10/1/2013

Location: Antioch, CA USA

1/15/2014 7:16 PM

downard254 wrote: I have an 06 RM 250 and love it. Still more motor than I'll ever need. I'm 46 now but used to race A, but I just really enjoy riding my two smoker. And it is so lite to boot. I'd love to get my hands on a nice 125 too, but it's just not in the cards right now.

I'm with you, I have the 06 RC edition and love it. Plenty of power and a ton of fun! They even make awesome offroad bikes, I can ride technical trails one weekend and hop on the track next weekend with no issues.

Bro, do you even fork swag???

Ratbeach Racing

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/15/2014 7:17 PM

brocsdad wrote: I'm not offended and I figured someone would ask.

It's just the "way" I prefer to ride. I don't really like to short shift a bike. I prefer a powerband that will rev. I would probably be better off with a 250F but the maintenance would be more costly$$$

nytsmaC wrote: You're overthinking it broski. Get a 13 Honda and put a pipe, cam and mapping on it.

Maybe but it would be nice to buy it off the showroom floor and setup the suspension and ride it without dumping money in the motor. That's why I'm thinking about a 15 model. Whatever I buy I will keep for a a few years.

seth505

C100_palajumpav

Posts: 2509

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: SD, CA USA

1/16/2014 12:42 AM

I think I'd side toward the Kawi then, but I have no insight on 2015 updates. Another option is something like the 250sx I got. Starts out cheaper and you could always throw the 300 kit on it if you felt like it.

rocketsocks26

C100

Posts: 1033

Joined: 2/26/2013

Location: Jackson, NJ USA

1/16/2014 4:49 AM

brocs dad how about the ktm 450? motor for days e start? I absolutely love ktm ever since I bought my 1st 1 in 2011

thephoenix

C100_100_5629

Posts: 401

Joined: 2/13/2012

Location: TX, USA

1/16/2014 5:08 AM

downard254 wrote: Save your money and put more time into improving your riding skills. More gains to be had in that area then what a newer model can produce.

hell yeah. Most local guys could go to a ten year old two stroke, that is mechanically sound and dialed in, and they would do just as well.

I am a 6'3" guy, and I was just as fast (except starts) on my 250F as I was on my 450F. In fact, at the end of a moto or in late motos, when the track was nasty, I was faster, and faster longer, on the 250F.

Now if I just had a nitrous button for the starts :-)

Ironman Texas, May 17th, 2014, I became an IRONMAN.

mx317

C100_rem4_1396312138

Posts: 1179

Joined: 4/1/2008

Location: TN, USA

1/16/2014 6:03 AM

Kawasaki usually makes changes in 3 year cycles. They have done this since the 90s with the 2-strokes. 2006-2008 KX450Fs were close, same basic chassis and plastic, 2009-2011 were basically the same, and 2012 -2014 are close. So if they stick to their normal mode, we will get a revamped model in 2015.

ML512

C100_me700_1407277217

Posts: 2021

Joined: 12/28/2008

Location: Wildomar, CA USA

Administrator

1/16/2014 7:25 AM

brocsdad wrote: Speaking of chatter... I'm hearing the air forks will be gone in 2015.

Think the opposite, it should be expanding across more models/brands for 15

Markee

C100_cornershot_1394977186

Posts: 545

Joined: 4/15/2013

Location: Suffolk, VA USA

1/16/2014 12:00 PM

brocsdad wrote: I'm not racing anymore so that isn't a bid concern. I just don't want to drop $8K on a bike and next year the new model comes out.

My son is in training mode with Loretta's as the goal.

If you don't want that to happen:

Moens_Andy

C100_s1200_mxdbarciasavc_1379269561

Posts: 319

Joined: 3/7/2011

Location: BEL

1/16/2014 12:03 PM

KTM is working on their first Aluminium frame or so ive been told; it whas not on point yet thats why its delayed for 2015

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/16/2014 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2014 12:06 PM

brocsdad wrote: I'm not racing anymore so that isn't a bid concern. I just don't want to drop $8K on a bike and next year the new model comes out.

My son is in training mode with Loretta's as the goal.

Markee wrote: If you don't want that to happen:

It's just a KTM with white plastic and rumor is an all new 450 for 2015. I like KTM (son had 4 65's) and have seriously considered the 2-stroke SX 250 but overall the KTM 4-stroke is more expensive to buy and maintain.

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/16/2014 12:10 PM

hmmm. I have heard through some friends in the industry that Dungey does not like the 450? I know Decoster is a fan of the chromoly frame but the KTM looks cumbersome and lacks the modern look of the jap bikes.

Time will tell....

Markee

C100_cornershot_1394977186

Posts: 545

Joined: 4/15/2013

Location: Suffolk, VA USA

1/16/2014 1:06 PM

brocsdad wrote: hmmm. I have heard through some friends in the industry that Dungey does not like the 450? I know Decoster is a fan of the chromoly frame but the KTM looks cumbersome and lacks the modern look of the jap bikes.

Time will tell....

Well the bike is not cumbersome. If you were considering a 13 250 sx, then i would say go for it if you can find one. Just sold my 13 450 sxf 2 days ago, my 250 sx is awesome motorcycle.

Trav138

C100_image_1391386653

Posts: 605

Joined: 3/8/2012

Location: PA, USA

1/16/2014 1:23 PM

I keep hearing about an all new RMZ 450. Anyone have any insight on this? Will it be an all new design or a continuation of what they did in 13?
Sorry about the thread jack but figured some of you would have some info. Thanks

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/16/2014 1:40 PM

I would expect a new bike.

At least that is what I have read in transworld and general buzz on the net.

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/16/2014 1:41 PM

brocsdad wrote: hmmm. I have heard through some friends in the industry that Dungey does not like the 450? I know Decoster is a fan of the chromoly frame but the KTM looks cumbersome and lacks the modern look of the jap bikes.

Time will tell....

Markee wrote: Well the bike is not cumbersome. If you were considering a 13 250 sx, then i would say go for it if you can find one. Just sold my 13 450 sxf 2 days ago, my 250 sx is awesome motorcycle.

It looks big and bulky compared to jap bikes.

Moens_Andy

C100_s1200_mxdbarciasavc_1379269561

Posts: 319

Joined: 3/7/2011

Location: BEL

1/16/2014 1:51 PM

Trav138 wrote: I keep hearing about an all new RMZ 450. Anyone have any insight on this? Will it be an all new design or a continuation of what they did in 13?
Sorry about the thread jack but figured some of you would have some info. Thanks

well keep an eye out for the Jap series thats the place where they test them first in racing

brocsdad

C100

Posts: 131

Joined: 8/9/2010

Location: Thompsons Station, TN USA

1/16/2014 2:02 PM

Yeah by April or May we should start seeing some pics. There is a website that shows pics of the factory bikes but I cannot find it.
Post a Reply to: 2015 KX 250F / 450F - All New Models?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm