2015 CRF450R

mxb2
1/22/2014 8:52pm
Crush wrote:
Really? Fuck you're right, just checked the Suzuki america website. So I guess Strang was racing a RMZ in GNCC? Suzuki is weird about what they...
Really?

Fuck you're right, just checked the Suzuki america website. So I guess Strang was racing a RMZ in GNCC?

Suzuki is weird about what they put where etc.
Yep, rmz with oversize tank.Strang also got a top 25 at red bud national in 2011 i think..
bents
Fantasy
694th
1/22/2014 8:54pm
07/08 Honda 450, pretty fast bikes. Much more powerful than the 09 to current, no? I would classify those as fire breathers right out of the crate.
kibby
1/22/2014 8:55pm
I can't find the post since ive been a long time lurker but I swear I saw GuyB say that Geico or one of the Honda...
I can't find the post since ive been a long time lurker but I swear I saw GuyB say that Geico or one of the Honda teams had one of their riders test a stock bike and they said they fell in love with it because it was easy to ride..

I also read that Tomacs motor is pretty stock too..I mean im sure it has all the bits and goodies to make it "Factory" but its power delivery is pretty close to stock, if not stock.
Ahh........no.
slipdog
1/22/2014 9:09pm
bents wrote:
07/08 Honda 450, pretty fast bikes. Much more powerful than the 09 to current, no? I would classify those as fire breathers right out of the...
07/08 Honda 450, pretty fast bikes. Much more powerful than the 09 to current, no? I would classify those as fire breathers right out of the crate.
'The 07's were fast, '08's were turds.

The Shop

slipdog
1/22/2014 9:10pm
kibby wrote:
Ahh........no.
STFU NOOB!
JB 19
1/22/2014 10:07pm
Who knows how true it is, but didn't Short say that last year when he rode the Honda that he had modified that the motor was stock even down to the piston? Just exhaust and remap?

And I would'nt look for Honda to sell any top fuel 450's.......getting a 450cc motor to make big power isn't rocket science.....they are selling them with a mellow motor because it fits their overall philosophy of what they want the bike to be.
JW381
1/22/2014 10:13pm
JB 19 wrote:
Who knows how true it is, but didn't Short say that last year when he rode the Honda that he had modified that the motor was...
Who knows how true it is, but didn't Short say that last year when he rode the Honda that he had modified that the motor was stock even down to the piston? Just exhaust and remap?

And I would'nt look for Honda to sell any top fuel 450's.......getting a 450cc motor to make big power isn't rocket science.....they are selling them with a mellow motor because it fits their overall philosophy of what they want the bike to be.
Yes, Short's was stock.

And yes, I agree, and your first point even proves that point in a lot of ways.
kiwifan
1/22/2014 11:17pm
JW381 wrote:
For sure, I'm all about a smooth rideable motor. Hell, when you read factory bike tests in mags they always talk about how RV or James...
For sure, I'm all about a smooth rideable motor. Hell, when you read factory bike tests in mags they always talk about how RV or James likes a "smooth broad power curve". Obviously their bikes have more power at each stage of the curve but still, same theory applies.

And Kiwi, it's an interesting question (why the mags focus on HP) so not a dumb inquiry or anything. I just think it has more to do with the obsession with power versus it's actual usefulness.
I agree 100% :-)
kiwifan
1/22/2014 11:19pm
JB 19 wrote:
Who knows how true it is, but didn't Short say that last year when he rode the Honda that he had modified that the motor was...

JW381 wrote:
Yes, Short's was stock.

And yes, I agree, and your first point even proves that point in a lot of ways.
Good point, and he got a very good result too
HenryA
1/22/2014 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2014 11:45pm
I doubt it, Honda makes changes to their bikes every fourth year. It will stay the same for 2015. Probably some minor changes to the suspension setup and the linkage. And honestly, I do think that they will squeeze out a few more ponies in 2015 if it turns out that the new Yamaha is as reliable as the old one but still puts out 58hp.
1/23/2014 12:02am
they will stay the same Honda makes bikes that are easy to ride fast..unless you're a national level pro or 300+ lbs you dont need a...
they will stay the same

Honda makes bikes that are easy to ride fast..unless you're a national level pro or 300+ lbs you dont need a faster 450

A certain Geico Honda rider actually prefers his 450 stock over the factory bike..food for thought
barcia has also said that he likes riding the stock 450 (maybe not better but he enjoys it) because he can rev it harder lol.
Jimfunn
1/23/2014 2:15am
For MX a stock CRF 450 is fast enough for 90% of riders. I have a '13 Euro spec (fully enclosed airbox with lid etc) and rode it for the first time in the deep sand of Dunkirk in France - only when the track was flat and fully graded did I think it could possibly do with more on top...but then I shifted and problem solved.

You're all dreaming if you think you need more power & if you read magazine shootouts to decide which bike to buy then god help you...
1/23/2014 5:16am
kibby wrote:
Ahh........no.
slipdog wrote:
STFU NOOB!
I think you should take that man's reply as................FINAL ANSWER!
msp138
1/23/2014 6:18am
I can't find the post since ive been a long time lurker but I swear I saw GuyB say that Geico or one of the Honda...
I can't find the post since ive been a long time lurker but I swear I saw GuyB say that Geico or one of the Honda teams had one of their riders test a stock bike and they said they fell in love with it because it was easy to ride..

I also read that Tomacs motor is pretty stock too..I mean im sure it has all the bits and goodies to make it "Factory" but its power delivery is pretty close to stock, if not stock.
TeamGreen wrote:
Ok...let me take a stab at this... Geico builds there own "In-House" version of a CRF450R race bike...and then there's Honda's (American Honda) version of their...
Ok...let me take a stab at this...

Geico builds there own "In-House" version of a CRF450R race bike...and then there's Honda's (American Honda) version of their pseudo RC450/CR450R built with their collection of HRC goodies and their "Concept" of what it should be..."pseudo" implies that we (AMA) can't really run the Japanese RC stuff; 'cause, that pretty much implies "Works" as in Narita and his new frame, swing-arm and other Exotica...Because: THAT AIN'T PRODUCTION by a Damn-Sight! (Humor)

BUT...calling the Geico bike "stock"...? That's almost an insult (More humor). Also, I'm pretty sure whatever Geico wants is avail should they want it (Honda-HRC...etc).

Watching them practice/test at their track, I can promise you: their bike's have got the goods...their way. Their bikes make a Nice Looooooong pull from Waaaaaaaay down low...their chassis appears to be set up firm/stiff enough to make their Guys happy...or so it seems.

Geico (FC) has a history of doing things "their way".

And, it works. Really well.
dont shoot the messenger dood maybe i read that the bike was more "stock"-ish compared to their fully blown "works" bike or watever reiteration they can...
dont shoot the messenger dood

maybe i read that the bike was more "stock"-ish compared to their fully blown "works" bike or watever reiteration they can run in the AMA series
I think what you are referring too was last year when Tomac raced a selected few rounds on a 450 for factory honda. It was said he didnt like the race engine platform and went back to more of a stock motor. I do though doubt highly it was anywhere near stock, but i could be wrong on both accounts.
slipdog
1/23/2014 6:42am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 6:44am
kibby wrote:
Ahh........no.
slipdog wrote:
STFU NOOB!
I think you should take that man's reply as................FINAL ANSWER!
HAR! I'm surprised anyone caught his response, too busy arguing amongst themselves...
MX558
1/23/2014 7:56am
they will stay the same Honda makes bikes that are easy to ride fast..unless you're a national level pro or 300+ lbs you dont need a...
they will stay the same

Honda makes bikes that are easy to ride fast..unless you're a national level pro or 300+ lbs you dont need a faster 450

A certain Geico Honda rider actually prefers his 450 stock over the factory bike..food for thought
BobPA wrote:
I truly doubt this unnamed Geico ride runs a completely stock motor. I've ridden a stock '13 Honda 450 and they are absolutely pathetic up top...
I truly doubt this unnamed Geico ride runs a completely stock motor. I've ridden a stock '13 Honda 450 and they are absolutely pathetic up top, I am just a yocal A rider and I wanted more power out of it.... At least more overrev. I rode one with a pipe and remap and it was much better, but still weak IMO. People who make the claim that you can't ride a 450 to it's potential have a point...but if the power is not where you need it, then it is useless.

My slightly modded KTM 350 is honestly faster and has more usable power than a stock 2013 Honda. My bro who owns the Honda admits to it, shamefully haha.
I rode a 13 350 and it was faster than my 12 Honda for sure and easier to ride.
TeamGreen
1/23/2014 8:02am

TeamGreen wrote:
Ok...let me take a stab at this... Geico builds there own "In-House" version of a CRF450R race bike...and then there's Honda's (American Honda) version of their...
Ok...let me take a stab at this...

Geico builds there own "In-House" version of a CRF450R race bike...and then there's Honda's (American Honda) version of their pseudo RC450/CR450R built with their collection of HRC goodies and their "Concept" of what it should be..."pseudo" implies that we (AMA) can't really run the Japanese RC stuff; 'cause, that pretty much implies "Works" as in Narita and his new frame, swing-arm and other Exotica...Because: THAT AIN'T PRODUCTION by a Damn-Sight! (Humor)

BUT...calling the Geico bike "stock"...? That's almost an insult (More humor). Also, I'm pretty sure whatever Geico wants is avail should they want it (Honda-HRC...etc).

Watching them practice/test at their track, I can promise you: their bike's have got the goods...their way. Their bikes make a Nice Looooooong pull from Waaaaaaaay down low...their chassis appears to be set up firm/stiff enough to make their Guys happy...or so it seems.

Geico (FC) has a history of doing things "their way".

And, it works. Really well.
dont shoot the messenger dood maybe i read that the bike was more "stock"-ish compared to their fully blown "works" bike or watever reiteration they can...
dont shoot the messenger dood

maybe i read that the bike was more "stock"-ish compared to their fully blown "works" bike or watever reiteration they can run in the AMA series
See specific notes (humor).

I was having fun with it.

On the other-hand, Shorty's bike was awfully "stock" motor-wise. His suspension was some really nice stuff by Enzo and Chris ("Roadie") had that bike working and looking better than any other Honda (to me).

Honda, in '15 is gonna be like Honda in '80: I expect the bikes to look a lot like they do now....but...in the words of Gwen Stefani..."Underneath it All"...things WILL be different.
Huckster
1/23/2014 10:25am
TeamGreen wrote:
See specific notes (humor). I was having fun with it. On the other-hand, Shorty's bike was awfully "stock" motor-wise. His suspension was some really nice stuff...
See specific notes (humor).

I was having fun with it.

On the other-hand, Shorty's bike was awfully "stock" motor-wise. His suspension was some really nice stuff by Enzo and Chris ("Roadie") had that bike working and looking better than any other Honda (to me).

Honda, in '15 is gonna be like Honda in '80: I expect the bikes to look a lot like they do now....but...in the words of Gwen Stefani..."Underneath it All"...things WILL be different.
I don't speak code. are you saying there will be significant changes to the '15? Same bike with different motor? totally new platform and motor? just looking for a little clarity....
1/23/2014 10:39am

kibby wrote:
Ahh........no.
So fill us in dude!!
1/23/2014 10:40am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2014 10:41am
JB 19 wrote:

i think it had a high comp piston, cams and a remap....basically something any of us could buy..which is super impressive if you ask me.

even if you went and bought a new CBR streetbike it'd cost alot to get it ready to race...
kawasa84
1/23/2014 11:20am
ihatemotocross, Audubon Iowa!!!!! Thats where that real big statue of a bull is on the south side of town, just off Highway 71.
You're definitely from Audubon, cause you're definitely full of bullshit!!
Do have some nice mountain bike trails up there, going from south of town down to I-80 though.
Socket946
1/23/2014 12:40pm
i think it had a high comp piston, cams and a remap....basically something any of us could buy..which is super impressive if you ask me. even...
i think it had a high comp piston, cams and a remap....basically something any of us could buy..which is super impressive if you ask me.

even if you went and bought a new CBR streetbike it'd cost alot to get it ready to race...
The last sentence, you just went off the deep end.

The cost to prep a sport bike for racing is VASTLY different, and NOT comparable across the two sports. Unlike SX/MX, there are different classes for the same size bike, and they change depending on mods.
jbollinger0
2/15/2014 8:13pm
1% of the worlds population is good enough to qualify for a national or a GP..and that excludes most local pros/A racers , depending on the...
1% of the worlds population is good enough to qualify for a national or a GP..and that excludes most local pros/A racers , depending on the region of course. That 1% of riders doesnt care what the magazines say because the way they ride and setup their bikes is alien to mortals like us

Even when magazines refer to a bike being better for pro riders, they're referring to local A guys..most of which couldn't even qualify for the C class at Lorettas.

Magazines in America give advice to the lowest common denominator of motocross rider..the weekend warrior who rides practice or the occasional racer
BobPA wrote:
1% of 7.139 billion is 71,390,000....that's a lot of national caliber bros.
That would be 1% of america not world wide lol and even then thats still not a lot. No one has tracks like we have in america well for now anyways.
jbollinger0
2/15/2014 8:17pm
I ride a crf450 2013 and I love the smooth power band. your better off investing in your suspension than your motor anyways. thats what puts the power to the ground. Plus just buy pipe n programmer and their ya go more hp pretty simple really. and if you go through tight woods you might not want all that hp. everything has its pluses and minus. if you have to slip your clutch more because of to much hp then you burn through clutches more. you have to find the happy medium thats suits all riders.
bullpen658
2/15/2014 8:18pm
99% of the posters on here can't use all the power of a CRF 80. Why would they need more power?
jbollinger0
2/15/2014 8:21pm
bullpen658 wrote:
99% of the posters on here can't use all the power of a CRF 80. Why would they need more power?
Exactly! Alot of pros ride the 110's to for practice for corner speed. if you mess up on those you can notice it. a 450 you do what ever you want lol

Post a reply to: 2015 CRF450R

The Latest