2015.5 KTM Factory Edition Feedback

kiwifan
4/6/2015 4:27pm
ginger969 wrote:
Let's remove price and talk about the best base platform bike? I want to buy a bike and ride it (adjusting suspension of course) and that's...
Let's remove price and talk about the best base platform bike? I want to buy a bike and ride it (adjusting suspension of course) and that's it. Does the KTM 450 FE blow the others out of the water in stock form like the reviews say or is it just a little bit better? I imagine the 10lbs is noticeable and the 4hp w/ weight reduction is def noticeable?

I'm not really brand loyal, I just like what is most fun and suits me best for riding.
SLO1667 wrote:
I read on the internet that It's "game changing" so it must be.
its a very good bike stock, not super great (it has flaws like most bikes have) but very good....most riders will be very happy with it
kiwifan
4/6/2015 4:39pm
kiwifan wrote:
Do you even ride? The stuff on the Honda (exhaust, cam and suspension tuning) came to around $1500 (and that was a very good deal). The...
Do you even ride?

The stuff on the Honda (exhaust, cam and suspension tuning) came to around $1500 (and that was a very good deal). The FE is $1600 dearer than the Honda....most fast riders will at least get a exhaust and suspension tuning no matter what the bike. Now I would not expect to spend a cent on a limited edition model, but you will need to (suspension). A good kit for the FE is around $2500 (or is it more?...there is a post above about the cost).
WP Cone Valve forks can run around $3,000 with the TRAX shock being close to another $2,000. It's on par (maybe even a little cheaper) than...
WP Cone Valve forks can run around $3,000 with the TRAX shock being close to another $2,000. It's on par (maybe even a little cheaper) than available A-Kit stuff for every other brand of bike. So the costs when comparing is about the same on either side.

You can always have your stock stuff revalved and not spend the money on the kit stuff. Nobody has said you have to do that. There are tuners out there claiming good results with the stock 4CS stuff and their mods. That price would fall in line with a revalve to any other bike brand.

Suspension costs are about the same across the board depending on what level you want to take it to.

As far as pipes go, they're the same across the board as well. Not any more expensive because you're on an FE. And once again, nobody says you have to put one on. The bike makes plenty of power as it is. You admit you got a "very good" deal on your mods. Good on you, but for comparison sake you should compare MSRP dollars. Not everyone gets the good deal hook-up. Some are luckier than others.

Shane
You need a pipe on the FE as well? Seemed to go pretty good to me without a pipe. And to be fair I did not say the FE needed a pipe, it does need suspension work at my level.

As for comparising on MSRP prices sure my mods are therefore slightly more than a FE, then again at my level I would need suspensions changes on the FE...so yeah still be more expensive to have the FE not that that was the reason for my ride on it.

Most riders who race have budgets, I certainly do for all the travel, accomodation, fuel, parts, etc etc etc etc....so yeah I look for deals and savings where I can. And I win (most times lol) on the bike I have, so I dont need to pay more for another bike to do the same job.

I think we both agree that the FE is a very good bike, I just honestly compared it to my current ride like a poster asked for.
PRM31
4/6/2015 4:42pm
I'm pretty sure people think there is more that needs changed on a new bike in 2015 than they did in 1981. It's an interesting phenomenon.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/6/2015 7:06pm
PRM31 wrote:
I'm pretty sure people think there is more that needs changed on a new bike in 2015 than they did in 1981. It's an interesting phenomenon.
Great point.
I rode a stock, and I mean bone stock, 1978 Suzuki RM 80 for 2 years. I did a set of brake "shoes" and a few Flanders replacement levers and maybe a tank cover. Lol

Got a 1980 Suzuki RM125 and put a set of Works Performance shocks and Cycle-Am fenders on it, once the stock ones fell off. Lol

The Shop

Moto3731
4/7/2015 4:47am
Just wondering if anyone has any news on the second shipment? I spoke to a pretty reputable dude at the wick this weekend and he said def not untill a couple weeks into may. I'm seriously hoping otherwise.
KTMShane699
4/7/2015 6:38am
Moto3731 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any news on the second shipment? I spoke to a pretty reputable dude at the wick this weekend and he said...
Just wondering if anyone has any news on the second shipment? I spoke to a pretty reputable dude at the wick this weekend and he said def not untill a couple weeks into may. I'm seriously hoping otherwise.
I've heard April. And I've heard May. So at this point, nobody really knows.

Shane
Moto3731
4/7/2015 7:49am
Thanks bud. This wait is terrible huh? But yeah as soon as I get a reputable answer I'll post it here. I'm sure once the shipment goes out we should be getting them around the same time. Kyle..
KTMShane699
4/7/2015 7:57am
Moto3731 wrote:
Thanks bud. This wait is terrible huh? But yeah as soon as I get a reputable answer I'll post it here. I'm sure once the shipment...
Thanks bud. This wait is terrible huh? But yeah as soon as I get a reputable answer I'll post it here. I'm sure once the shipment goes out we should be getting them around the same time. Kyle..
I will admit that the closer it gets to summer, the better it looks to simply wait for the 2016 to come out. The two shipment thing isn't really ideal from a marketing point of view.

Shane
Motoman35
4/7/2015 8:03am
like I have pointed out on other blogs the 2 shipment thing might have worked if the west received them first since most in the east are buried in snow staring at their new rides
4/7/2015 8:17am
Motoman35 wrote:
like I have pointed out on other blogs the 2 shipment thing might have worked if the west received them first since most in the east...
like I have pointed out on other blogs the 2 shipment thing might have worked if the west received them first since most in the east are buried in snow staring at their new rides
Great call. Going further, we may have a reasoning for all of these MODIFICATION posts...

Dudes are staring at their new bike and can't ride it. Making their heads spin.

Laughing
Motoman35
4/7/2015 8:22am
with all of KTM's technology you would think they have access to the weather channel
Suns_PSD
4/7/2015 8:29am
Some of us just enjoy messing with our bikes whether the bikes need it or not.
Moto3731
4/8/2015 10:21am
Great news to anyone waiting on the second shipment!!! Mine was released today from the factory and delete said it'll be there within a week. So all of you patiently waiting, you'll most likely have yours very soon!!
Motoman35
4/8/2015 11:56am
be there as in at the dealer?
KTMShane699
4/8/2015 12:55pm
Moto3731 wrote:
Great news to anyone waiting on the second shipment!!! Mine was released today from the factory and delete said it'll be there within a week. So...
Great news to anyone waiting on the second shipment!!! Mine was released today from the factory and delete said it'll be there within a week. So all of you patiently waiting, you'll most likely have yours very soon!!
Is that from the second shipment? That would be awesome to have mine next week.

Shane
Moto3731
4/8/2015 12:59pm
Yep second shipment my rep told me there all just leaving the factory. I can't wait I'm pumped I thought it was definitely gonna be halfway into may. I'm sure you'll definitely get yours before the end of the month most likely sooner.
Moto3731
4/8/2015 1:01pm
He seemed pretty positive I'll have my bike within a week. He said they already got invoiced with the vin number
Moto3731
4/8/2015 2:11pm
Motoman35 wrote:
be there as in at the dealer?
Yes be there at the dealer
Moto3731
4/9/2015 4:20am
One question.... Does anyone know of anyone that can do the same number plate pattern as the stock ones buy with my numbers. I've checked all the bigger name company's and they don't have anything that matches the stock one.
KTMShane699
4/9/2015 4:41am
Moto3731 wrote:
One question.... Does anyone know of anyone that can do the same number plate pattern as the stock ones buy with my numbers. I've checked all...
One question.... Does anyone know of anyone that can do the same number plate pattern as the stock ones buy with my numbers. I've checked all the bigger name company's and they don't have anything that matches the stock one.
Where are you located? Your best best will probably be to find a local graphic guy that can copy the template for you and give you exactly what you need. The guy I use is in Westfield, MA and the guy my buddy uses is in Vermont. Both do excellent work and can give you exactly what you want if they have the side panel to make a template. 139 in Vermont has templates for the FE, and my buddy in Westfield, MA is waiting on my bike to make the template for it. But any good graphic guy can do it for you.

Shane
Moto3731
4/9/2015 4:48am
I live literally two min from westfield. I live in south wick ma. Is there anyway your guy would do mine for me? Also I don't know if you heard of dcs cycle in westfield but he's been doing my suspension and it's been the best I've ridden and I've tried all the major company's. I don't know if he has any experience with the 4cs but I sure hope so.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/9/2015 5:11am
The graphics 139 did for Digger look great, but I have emailed him twice with no response.... :-(
KTMShane699
4/9/2015 5:32am
Moto3731 wrote:
I live literally two min from westfield. I live in south wick ma. Is there anyway your guy would do mine for me? Also I don't...
I live literally two min from westfield. I live in south wick ma. Is there anyway your guy would do mine for me? Also I don't know if you heard of dcs cycle in westfield but he's been doing my suspension and it's been the best I've ridden and I've tried all the major company's. I don't know if he has any experience with the 4cs but I sure hope so.
Yup. He'd take care of you. Jeff Anton of Squid Decals. His number is 413-519-0808. Give him a call and tell him I sent you over. Great dude and still gets around good on a dirt scooter after taking years off to go race Busch cars. He's still got his cars in the shop which are always awesome to check out. Very small operation, but great work.

I haven't heard of DCS cycle. With all of the 4CS horror stories out there, I'd be curious what their fix is for them since everyone has a different idea.

Shane
KTMShane699
4/9/2015 5:38am
Moto3731 wrote:
I live literally two min from westfield. I live in south wick ma. Is there anyway your guy would do mine for me? Also I don't...
And if you don't mind me asking, what dealer is your bike coming from? Last I checked with my dealer (and the shop I work for part time), they knew nothing. Hoping your info is way better than mine. And if they have a VIN it sounds like it is.

Shane
KTMShane699
4/9/2015 5:39am
The graphics 139 did for Digger look great, but I have emailed him twice with no response.... :-(
139 can be a challenge to get in touch with...by phone and by email. He's super busy. Not making excuses since I'm not sure it's the best way to run a business or to grow one. Hopefully he can get you dialed in!

Shane
Digger29
4/9/2015 6:20am
I'm writing him an text right now about your number plates Joe. I know he's super super busy but he should at least respond to you. He just responded and said he's got over a 100 emails to return and over a 100 orders to get out and he'll try and get to you today. It's just him and his sister doing everything. Sorry
Moto3731
4/9/2015 7:04am
The bike is coming from valley motor sports in Northampton ma. And thanks dude for the info. What dealer is your coming from? You work their right? I'm actually looking for some VP t4 my dealers out, do you guys carry any where your at? I got the day off today and if you do I'd take a ride and pick some up. Kyle
KTMShane699
4/9/2015 7:06am
Moto3731 wrote:
The bike is coming from valley motor sports in Northampton ma. And thanks dude for the info. What dealer is your coming from? You work their...
The bike is coming from valley motor sports in Northampton ma. And thanks dude for the info. What dealer is your coming from? You work their right? I'm actually looking for some VP t4 my dealers out, do you guys carry any where your at? I got the day off today and if you do I'd take a ride and pick some up. Kyle
Text me 860-539-7464

Shane
Bry145
4/9/2015 7:52pm
Let me give you some honest feedback. I rode my dad's bike last Sunday at my home track where I have tested countless bikes. He loves...
Let me give you some honest feedback. I rode my dad's bike last Sunday at my home track where I have tested countless bikes. He loves big horsepower and at 54 he won't be riding this thing super super hard, but he gets around pretty good.

I'm 29, raced since 2000. 5'8. 160lbs. I get around the track decently, but haven't ridden much in the last few years.

I've ridden the latest generation of every 450 except the Honda (noone I know here has one, I owned an 09 and 11 though.)

The 450 FE is RIDICULOUSLY GREAT.

Let's start with:

Cornering- Does it have front wheel drive or something? How is the front tire hooking up so hard and why won't it push out of the rut right when you don't want it to like Every 450 I've ever ridden? Inside lines are suddenly doable at the last second. Which is great when you are racing dirt bikes, just not something I've ever been able to do well on a 450.
It stays in the rut, it doesn't want to high side, it carves, yet feels neutral. A+ 100.
This thing turns like Dianna Dahlgren just walked by topless.

Starting- You push a button. It works. When you are 5'8 you despise starting something as tall as a 450 with a long kick starter and short legs. Magic button for sure, bros. A+

Brakes- Better than me. A+

Clutch- I overuse the clutch in general. Unnecessary on this motorcycle, because of the power characteristics. I have had many issues with Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki clutches in the past. (The Honda was the kind of relationship with a bike where you have to adjust a knob on the handlebars in the air multiple times in a moto. I don't miss that shizz.)
As a side plus, the lever pull is super light and stays consistent. A+

Suspension- Ride-able. Which is nice to say about a stock 450 for me. First one I've been able to say that about (although I'm sure a yz450 with stock SSS would be close and probably better) It didn't kick or deflect or do anything "bad", it's just that the suspension was lukewarm at best. Definitely felt some harshness in the forks. B

Engine- When thinking about the powerband, close your eyes and picture a big open field. You can lug it around in 3rd. You can hit the upper rpms and rev it. It wants to go really really fast. And it hooks up. A+

Negatives?

This thing made me want to go warp speed everywhere.
How do I say it's TOO Good? How is that possible?

Let me be clear- If you want/need a 450, get this one. Hands down game-changing shit.

Let me be more clear- Do some push ups, take a riding class, stretch, eat your Wheaties, and for 7lb 9oz baby Jesus''s sake DO NOT Attempt to ride this motorcycle as hard as it will go. I could not even get CLOSE to that limit and I never got close to 4th gear.

The future of 450 motocross is going to be people going insanely way too fast, insanely way too comfortably.

And apparently, the future is now. I felt it all over my taint when I hit third gear.
We asked for this, and now it's here.

I'm sure the bike is great, but is it worth double the cost of a different brand 450? I have seen 13, 14, and 15 450s in the 7K range.

Post a reply to: 2015.5 KTM Factory Edition Feedback

The Latest