2014 Kawi 450 or yzf 450??

NESC98
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 12:49pm
Which one would you guys go with???
|
DTHA70
7/22/2014 11:39am
what bike will you get better dealer support from?

in my area its all red green and orange because those dealers give the best bike and parts deals to the riders.
NESC98
7/22/2014 11:40am
I have the Kawi 450 now thinking of going to yzf...
Ardfarkl
7/22/2014 11:42am
I have the YZ and I think they both rock. Love my YZ though.
TeamGreen
7/22/2014 11:46am
NESC98 wrote:
I have the Kawi 450 now thinking of going to yzf...
I'm on the KXF w/ all the PC goodies; yet I can't think of a reason not to ride the new YZ450...

I'd ride whatever makes you happiest.

The Shop

NESC98
7/22/2014 11:49am
I've been on the Kawi went to high point regional for seal was leaking had pr2 do it which may have been some of the problem haven't ridden bike since do to fracturing my wrist there took it off stand sun to ride fork seals blown again
mxb2
7/22/2014 11:49am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 12:04pm
NESC98 wrote:
Which one would you guys go with???
Both great bikes, one has air forks, one doesnt , some like the spring forks only. imo., price the same?,
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
7/22/2014 12:03pm
Between those two, I would go with the Yamaha simply for the reliability of the blue steed. They are nearly indestructible.
7/22/2014 12:17pm
I have just made the transition from riding blue almost 20+ years to the 2014 KX450. like everyone has said, both great bikes, but both also have their distinct plusses and minuses. as mentioned above, the fork seals are shit on my kawi, have blown 3-4 since january. the overall craftsmanship and reliabilty of the simple small parts on the kawi are junk compared to the YZ (ie. chain sliders, guards, plastics, bolts and hardware, all the normal replaceble parts). everything on the YZ except the motor and handling are exceptional compared to the KX. The YZ ran like a john deere tractor and i never had any maintenance issues and hardly ever had to replace the small parts like on the kawi. The KX stock, with the GREEN CHIP installed, feels night and day faster, stronger pulling from the bottom, and has waaay better handling and responsiveness. simply put the YZ feels like a sluggish dinosaur compared to the KX, when compared stock to stock, atleast for me. so just depends what youre loking for from the bike and how you plan on using it, whether its racing or trail riding or just for fun. just my 2 cents and OPINION
RF219
7/22/2014 12:45pm
I have just made the transition from riding blue almost 20+ years to the 2014 KX450. like everyone has said, both great bikes, but both also...
I have just made the transition from riding blue almost 20+ years to the 2014 KX450. like everyone has said, both great bikes, but both also have their distinct plusses and minuses. as mentioned above, the fork seals are shit on my kawi, have blown 3-4 since january. the overall craftsmanship and reliabilty of the simple small parts on the kawi are junk compared to the YZ (ie. chain sliders, guards, plastics, bolts and hardware, all the normal replaceble parts). everything on the YZ except the motor and handling are exceptional compared to the KX. The YZ ran like a john deere tractor and i never had any maintenance issues and hardly ever had to replace the small parts like on the kawi. The KX stock, with the GREEN CHIP installed, feels night and day faster, stronger pulling from the bottom, and has waaay better handling and responsiveness. simply put the YZ feels like a sluggish dinosaur compared to the KX, when compared stock to stock, atleast for me. so just depends what youre loking for from the bike and how you plan on using it, whether its racing or trail riding or just for fun. just my 2 cents and OPINION
what year yz450 did you have? I have rode both and the yz was a lot faster to me
IWreckALot
7/22/2014 12:51pm
mx510 wrote:
Between those two, I would go with the Yamaha simply for the reliability of the blue steed. They are nearly indestructible.
I have no complaints about Yamaha's. . . I think I'll be on Yamaha for awhile. I have a few buddies with green bikes and it always seems to be something just a bit off with them. Enough to deter me from changing from Yamaha.
bvm111
7/22/2014 1:09pm
I bleed Green..... however Air Forks just make me nervous.

For this reason alone I will probably end up with a standard fork other than Kawasaki model next... more than likely orange.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
7/22/2014 1:48pm
mx510 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I have no complaints about Yamaha's. . . I think I'll be on Yamaha for awhile. I have a few buddies with green bikes and it...
I have no complaints about Yamaha's. . . I think I'll be on Yamaha for awhile. I have a few buddies with green bikes and it always seems to be something just a bit off with them. Enough to deter me from changing from Yamaha.
I have a few buddies that have KX450s and they have been great. However I have also heard of a few having "issues" and that scares me. Super fun bikes to ride though.
ChrisB10
7/22/2014 4:04pm
YZ450 because I'm big on reliability.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/22/2014 5:35pm
I have just made the transition from riding blue almost 20+ years to the 2014 KX450. like everyone has said, both great bikes, but both also...
The Yamaha tuning tool is really handy and easy to use and relatively reasonably priced. An exhaust and loading a new map with the tool turns the YZ450F into a very fast bike.
BobPA
7/22/2014 6:55pm
Yamaha's, to me, are like trying to steer a bulldozer....They are just sluggish and bulky feeling. The 14 Yami engine is pretty good stock, just a bit flat on top for me, but nothing a pipe and ecu tune wouldn't fix. Two of my friends have 14 Kawasaki's, engine is superb right out of the box, I am still not sold on the air fork though.

Out of the box I feel the Kawasaki is a better platform, but they are both very good. Take a few for a ride before you make a decision. Internet opinions are just that...opinions,
7/23/2014 7:32am
FGR01 wrote:
The Yamaha tuning tool is really handy and easy to use and relatively reasonably priced. An exhaust and loading a new map with the tool turns...
The Yamaha tuning tool is really handy and easy to use and relatively reasonably priced. An exhaust and loading a new map with the tool turns the YZ450F into a very fast bike.
Ive had every generation of the "new" YZ450 since 2010, and have had pipes/silencers and aftermarket hop-ups on them as well as used the tuning tool extensively. with all that said, IMO with the bikes compared back-to-back, the KX is much more aggressive, nimble, stronger off the bottom but NOT the top, and the motor was night and day better than the YZ. now of course with the right amount of testing, aftermarket parts, and adjustment you can make any bike competitive and suitable for your riding style and skill.
7/23/2014 7:43am
BobPA wrote:
Yamaha's, to me, are like trying to steer a bulldozer....They are just sluggish and bulky feeling. The 14 Yami engine is pretty good stock, just a...
Yamaha's, to me, are like trying to steer a bulldozer....They are just sluggish and bulky feeling. The 14 Yami engine is pretty good stock, just a bit flat on top for me, but nothing a pipe and ecu tune wouldn't fix. Two of my friends have 14 Kawasaki's, engine is superb right out of the box, I am still not sold on the air fork though.

Out of the box I feel the Kawasaki is a better platform, but they are both very good. Take a few for a ride before you make a decision. Internet opinions are just that...opinions,
^^ this is exactly how i felt after riding the two bikes side by side for a while. i grew up on the YZs and thought the world of them with power and handling, UNTIL i got on the 14'KX. WOW is that bike fast right out of the box, and only gets faster the more you adjust. The only aggravating issue with the air forks, is initially getting them set up and finding a good stock setting, and then a range of settings to use that best fit you for differing tracks and conditions. once youve put in the time on the bike and have found these out for yourself, all you have to do is make sure you check the PSI every time you ride. i feel the air forks are much more forgiving, plush, and give me better control, i feel more planted in ruts and have more front end traction and control. when trying to ride the YZ after being on the KX, it felt like i was steering a tug boat and i couldnt get over the wideness of the shrouds and radiators (even though previously i never had a problem with the width before i got the KX). idk like ppl have said, you really should try to ride them yourself to see what you would want
Jimfunn
7/23/2014 8:05am
Stock 14 YZ450 is a very fast bike (as are all 450's). There aren't many people who are going to be needing more HP!

Fork and shock on Yama are night & day better than KXF. Build quality is better on yam.

Ride both and unless you really like the kawi I'd be getting a yam.
Ardfarkl
7/23/2014 8:10am
If you want to know the truth, when I bouight mine (YZ), I was looking at the KTM, Yammy and Kawi. I picked the Yammy because it's exhaust stuck out from the fender the least. I have had issues in the pst where a bike flippin gend over end crushed the exhaust. This seemed like a decent wat to try to alliviate that.And I got a white one which is totally tits!
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/23/2014 8:14am
Ive had every generation of the "new" YZ450 since 2010, and have had pipes/silencers and aftermarket hop-ups on them as well as used the tuning tool...
Ive had every generation of the "new" YZ450 since 2010, and have had pipes/silencers and aftermarket hop-ups on them as well as used the tuning tool extensively. with all that said, IMO with the bikes compared back-to-back, the KX is much more aggressive, nimble, stronger off the bottom but NOT the top, and the motor was night and day better than the YZ. now of course with the right amount of testing, aftermarket parts, and adjustment you can make any bike competitive and suitable for your riding style and skill.
Good info. Yep, the Yamaha is definitely more of a top-end, hold it on forever style of power where the Kawi is a blast and rip motor. That was what I liked about the Yamaha. It had enough bottom and mid to get the job done and not wear you out but then you could hold it on forever and avoid shifting to 4th on many straights.

Never thought I'd see the day when a Kawi felt more nimble or outcornered anything. They traditionally were always the big tank bikes that couldn't corner or stop. I'm interested to see how the new Braking brakes are on the 15's. Should be good.

One thing I don't like about either the Kawi or Yamaha is they are both too big for my short self. That's why I stick to Honda.
mxb2
7/23/2014 8:18am
BobPA wrote:
Yamaha's, to me, are like trying to steer a bulldozer....They are just sluggish and bulky feeling. The 14 Yami engine is pretty good stock, just a...

^^ this is exactly how i felt after riding the two bikes side by side for a while. i grew up on the YZs and thought...
^^ this is exactly how i felt after riding the two bikes side by side for a while. i grew up on the YZs and thought the world of them with power and handling, UNTIL i got on the 14'KX. WOW is that bike fast right out of the box, and only gets faster the more you adjust. The only aggravating issue with the air forks, is initially getting them set up and finding a good stock setting, and then a range of settings to use that best fit you for differing tracks and conditions. once youve put in the time on the bike and have found these out for yourself, all you have to do is make sure you check the PSI every time you ride. i feel the air forks are much more forgiving, plush, and give me better control, i feel more planted in ruts and have more front end traction and control. when trying to ride the YZ after being on the KX, it felt like i was steering a tug boat and i couldnt get over the wideness of the shrouds and radiators (even though previously i never had a problem with the width before i got the KX). idk like ppl have said, you really should try to ride them yourself to see what you would want
My 12 kawy w full fmf and moto tassini airbox and remap will walk all over the 14 kawy,450, i need to ride a 14-15 yzf 450, still, but have ridden all 14 450 s, except the new yzf. , both great bikes imo.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
7/23/2014 8:23am
I would go with the Kawi cause the green looks better than the blue IMO. Plus, Kawi's front fender looks 100% better than the Yami. I would also switch out the white fender for a green one.
prozach
7/23/2014 8:36am
I have a 14 KX and for what it is worth the air forks are the best stock forks I have ever ridden with. Awesome bottoming resistance yet still plush. I ride the a class, and see absolutely no need to put one aftermarket part other than my normal steering stabilizer on the bike. The chain slider sucks, but I find the 18$ polis port ones actually work pretty good.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
7/23/2014 8:41am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 8:42am
I repeat - better front fender Cool
bvm111
7/23/2014 10:55am
prozach wrote:
I have a 14 KX and for what it is worth the air forks are the best stock forks I have ever ridden with. Awesome bottoming...
I have a 14 KX and for what it is worth the air forks are the best stock forks I have ever ridden with. Awesome bottoming resistance yet still plush. I ride the a class, and see absolutely no need to put one aftermarket part other than my normal steering stabilizer on the bike. The chain slider sucks, but I find the 18$ polis port ones actually work pretty good.
How have your seals held up?

I can do them myself so it isn't a supper big deal, but, it seems they blow at alarming regularity
Mr Bean
7/23/2014 11:35am
Not trying to hijack this thread but perhaps the answer will add to the discussion.

How does the newer KX450 compare to the 2007 model in the handling dept?

I had a 2007, and while the motor was impressive, I could never come to terms with the chassis. It felt big, thick and heavy while in motion and when trying to corner it felt like the frame was hinged - it would knife in very quickly (reminded me of a KTM 2T I had ) but then try to stand up after the initial oversteer. It never felt fluid, smooth or neutral in the corners. Add the bulky feeling and I decided it wasn't for me.

How does the new one feel and corner?
mxb2
7/23/2014 11:58am
Mr Bean wrote:
Not trying to hijack this thread but perhaps the answer will add to the discussion. How does the newer KX450 compare to the 2007 model in...
Not trying to hijack this thread but perhaps the answer will add to the discussion.

How does the newer KX450 compare to the 2007 model in the handling dept?

I had a 2007, and while the motor was impressive, I could never come to terms with the chassis. It felt big, thick and heavy while in motion and when trying to corner it felt like the frame was hinged - it would knife in very quickly (reminded me of a KTM 2T I had ) but then try to stand up after the initial oversteer. It never felt fluid, smooth or neutral in the corners. Add the bulky feeling and I decided it wasn't for me.

How does the new one feel and corner?
not even a close comparison, the 12,and newer kawys are night and day better bikes.

Post a reply to: 2014 Kawi 450 or yzf 450??

The Latest