2011 Kawasakis are up

RACEGUY
5/25/2010 1:21pm
GuyB wrote:
Check the homepage and photo section
Wash out that crack-pipe, dude.

There are obviously fumes that are causing you some brain damage.

What were you looking for?...plasma-projection for propulsion and super-conductive magnetics for suspension???
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
5/25/2010 1:22pm
DL wrote:
Marzochi (sp?) has been doing that for a long time.... It's not even June yet and the 2011 new product info is hitting already.... wonder when...
Marzochi (sp?) has been doing that for a long time.... It's not even June yet and the 2011 new product info is hitting already.... wonder when the 2012 info will hit LOL.
newmann wrote:
If it was a set of zokes, there would be all kinds of crazy ass comments about the dual leg design throwing off the handling and...
If it was a set of zokes, there would be all kinds of crazy ass comments about the dual leg design throwing off the handling and balance of the bike though. And on a Honda, it would throw off the pitch, roll and yaw. Looks to have potential from a lighter weight viewpoint, and that's something I can appreciate. Still though, 232.7 lbs "curb weight" for a bike designed to be raced in a class where the minimum weight limit, wet with no fuel is 194 lbs? Take off a full load of fuel and that bike is 25 pounds over the 125 class weight limit. And 12 year olds coming off 85's are riding these things. Yet no one can understand the increase in injuries.

The 450, they are too damned embarrased to even list the weight of the overweight pig. Too funny.
Newmann,

Curb weight is a wet bike. Which means gas, oil and fluids are added into the weight. Most MFG's do dry weight which on a Kawasaki dirtbike would be 10-15 pounds less than their curb weight.

I wish all MFG's did curb weight instead of dry weight!
RACEGUY
5/25/2010 1:28pm
DL wrote:
Marzochi (sp?) has been doing that for a long time.... It's not even June yet and the 2011 new product info is hitting already.... wonder when...
Marzochi (sp?) has been doing that for a long time.... It's not even June yet and the 2011 new product info is hitting already.... wonder when the 2012 info will hit LOL.
newmann wrote:
If it was a set of zokes, there would be all kinds of crazy ass comments about the dual leg design throwing off the handling and...
If it was a set of zokes, there would be all kinds of crazy ass comments about the dual leg design throwing off the handling and balance of the bike though. And on a Honda, it would throw off the pitch, roll and yaw. Looks to have potential from a lighter weight viewpoint, and that's something I can appreciate. Still though, 232.7 lbs "curb weight" for a bike designed to be raced in a class where the minimum weight limit, wet with no fuel is 194 lbs? Take off a full load of fuel and that bike is 25 pounds over the 125 class weight limit. And 12 year olds coming off 85's are riding these things. Yet no one can understand the increase in injuries.

The 450, they are too damned embarrased to even list the weight of the overweight pig. Too funny.
tcannon521 wrote:
Newmann, Curb weight is a wet bike. Which means gas, oil and fluids are added into the weight. Most MFG's do dry weight which on a...
Newmann,

Curb weight is a wet bike. Which means gas, oil and fluids are added into the weight. Most MFG's do dry weight which on a Kawasaki dirtbike would be 10-15 pounds less than their curb weight.

Actually, it would just be so much easier if race-bikes were weighed in "race trim". That would mean all fluids on board including a full tank of fuel.

Not that this has anything to do with this subject, but, the majority of auto racing series weigh EVERYTHING - driver, gear, car, fuel...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/25/2010 1:31pm
Right. I always think its funny when the guys who could stand to lose a few lbs. spend tons o' dough trying to trim weight from their bikes.

The Shop

TeamGreen
5/25/2010 2:10pm
GuyB wrote:
Right. I always think its funny when the guys who could stand to lose a few lbs. spend tons o' dough trying to trim weight from...
Right. I always think its funny when the guys who could stand to lose a few lbs. spend tons o' dough trying to trim weight from their bikes.
SO, the bike that rolls out on the track weighting 220 isn't any better than the bike that rolls out on the track weighing 245? (Those are fair numbers, btw)

Take into consideration WHERE the mass is removed from...
RACEGUY
5/25/2010 2:19pm
GuyB wrote:
Right. I always think its funny when the guys who could stand to lose a few lbs. spend tons o' dough trying to trim weight from...
TeamGreen wrote:
SO, the bike that rolls out on the track weighting 220 isn't any better than the bike that rolls out on the track weighing 245? (Those...
SO, the bike that rolls out on the track weighting 220 isn't any better than the bike that rolls out on the track weighing 245? (Those are fair numbers, btw)

Take into consideration WHERE the mass is removed from...
Sounds like you are making the Danika Patrick argument.. (Geez...I'm a tub'o'shit. How dare that physically fit little individual challenge me?).

As for the "mass centralization argument"... I am on record as saying it's not about gross weight, it's where you put it.
Gardner37
5/25/2010 2:19pm
My 170lb Dad spent 8K making his '06 CRF 250 11lbs lighter.

For '07 he said fuck it and lost 15lbs.

Just a funny story.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/25/2010 2:23pm
Gardner37 wrote:
My 170lb Dad spent 8K making his '06 CRF 250 11lbs lighter.

For '07 he said fuck it and lost 15lbs.

Just a funny story.
Bingo.

And for the record, I know Newmann is fairly trim. Smile
Brent
5/25/2010 2:26pm
GuyB wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
Wash out that crack-pipe, dude. There are obviously fumes that are causing you some brain damage. What were you looking for?...plasma-projection for propulsion and super-conductive magnetics...

What were you looking for?...plasma-projection for propulsion and super-conductive magnetics for suspension???
Maybe you mis-understood my post.

I'm just thinking that adding all new forks and a new EFI in one year will make this bike take a step backwards, cause the current 2010 model is close to perfect.

I've owned too many first year bikes that were not nearly as good as the prior year's "less technically advanced" model, but who knows until they are released, right?
TeamGreen
5/25/2010 2:44pm
GuyB wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
Wash out that crack-pipe, dude. There are obviously fumes that are causing you some brain damage. What were you looking for?...plasma-projection for propulsion and super-conductive magnetics...

Brent wrote:
Maybe you mis-understood my post. I'm just thinking that adding all new forks and a new EFI in one year will make this bike take a...
Maybe you mis-understood my post.

I'm just thinking that adding all new forks and a new EFI in one year will make this bike take a step backwards, cause the current 2010 model is close to perfect.

I've owned too many first year bikes that were not nearly as good as the prior year's "less technically advanced" model, but who knows until they are released, right?
You know...

I watched as everybody and their brother threw the '09 Honda UNDER the Bus; yet, it was the best SX-450 when it came out.

Then, the Ol'Honda school bitched and whined and moaned like a bunch of old Greek Gran'mas at a re-union...

When, at the end of the day...it was...Different. Period. (I'm not gonna trash Honda for the de-comp pin...EVERYONE's had issues...)

The point: Most of the "1st Year" arguments come down to people resisting ANY REAL changes...especially the Big Red Fan Club...

Kawi? Slipping-Backward?

We'll see; however, that bike isn't a total revamp...and...the 250F game seems real tight over at KHI.
Lightning78
5/25/2010 3:03pm
I asked this in annother thread but anyone remember the foam racers and avg guys were putting in their gast tanks to stop "fuel sloshing" it worked well (I guess) but im concerned about the fuel pump having complications from using the foam since the pump uses a negative perssure to suck the fuel in, could the fuel pump cause problems witht he foam being sucked into the pump or even sucked against the filter screen thus blocking it?
ATKpilot99
5/25/2010 3:23pm
Want a heavy overpriced thumper ? Here it is...
freeh
5/25/2010 3:59pm
Knowing Showa, that fork is probably just a cost reduction idea with good marketing. Although, any weight savings would be a good thing.
Crush
5/25/2010 5:17pm
GuyB wrote:
That is funny... It's even funnier when people spend that much on their bike full stop!

Unless you a national pro, there's no need for anything more than sorting your suspension for your weight and anything that makes the bike comfortable!
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
5/25/2010 5:36pm
GuyB wrote:
Newmann's a good guy, and loves some moto, but he gets set off easily on that topic. Smile
Yeah. Unlike anyone else on this well-mannered board. Whistling
newmann
5/25/2010 7:21pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Newmann, Curb weight is a wet bike. Which means gas, oil and fluids are added into the weight. Most MFG's do dry weight which on a...
Newmann,

And that still puts it at 25 pounds over the minimum weight limit for the class it was designed to be raced in. I understand curb weight, you noticed I said take off the full load of fuel ,correct? It wasn't until later when the the mistake of allowing the double the displacement advantage for four strokes became apparent that they raised the weights for the four strokes. Race weight is all fluids, no fuel. Considering different bikes have different fuel tank capacities I think that is the best measure of weight.
2T42
5/25/2010 7:28pm
newmann wrote:
Yeah yeah, and those helicopters are red, not black. Smile
Yep, They're red. Newman is right again.

They wont even list the weight! LOL

newmann
5/25/2010 7:35pm
GuyB wrote:
Crush wrote:
That is funny... It's even funnier when people spend that much on their bike full stop! Unless you a national pro, there's no need for anything...
That is funny... It's even funnier when people spend that much on their bike full stop!

Unless you a national pro, there's no need for anything more than sorting your suspension for your weight and anything that makes the bike comfortable!
Funny thing, over the last nine years while I gained an extra twenty pounds, the YZ250F that I knocked twenty pounds off of still weighs twenty pounds less. And Crush, being a national level pro has nothing to do with wanting to build a lightweight race bike. We all have our hobbies.....or addictions.
level
5/25/2010 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:07pm
That was a badass video of the 250f. Very nice work.

wow123
5/25/2010 11:04pm
freeh wrote:
Knowing Showa, that fork is probably just a cost reduction idea with good marketing. Although, any weight savings would be a good thing.
zactly!

cost cutting only

are the factory guys running these atm?

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
5/25/2010 11:21pm
Who do you think is doing the riding in that video? Reed?

I am guessing because of the thor gear.
Lightning78
5/25/2010 11:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:07pm
Aside from the cost cutting idea which I highly doubt was the motive one thought did come to mind.....How much weight did Kawasaki save by going to this setup? I mean, they didn't highlite the weight savings by going to one fork spring and one valving stack. Judging from the weight saved by having dampening in only one fork and only one fork spring in the other the weight reduction should be significant right?

Anyone know if the factory guys have been running this setup at all in the past?

Im sure the idea works but if you send your forks off for a revalve does this (and it should) cut in half the cost of having your suspension revalved by a company like Enzo or RG3?.........They only have to work with one valving stack and you only have to pay for one fork spring so they are doing half the work ....theoretically the cost to have a revalve and spring setup done should be cut in half right?

One last thing .....what is the weight/rate of the spring I wonder.....with it handling the duty of 2 springs is it double the weight in spring rate? Or is it the same rate as usual....thanks for the answers in advance Tongue
CASH476
5/26/2010 4:38am
Does anyone else think that having one fork spring will put excess load on the fork legs /axle and contribute to all kinds of binding and flexing? Seems like a bad idea to me.
ando
5/26/2010 6:03am
Yeah, my 1996 KTM had Marzocchi 45's with separate rebound and compression adjustment, although I think they still had springs in both legs. Still the best offroad suspension I've ever used (and definitely at least as good as anything KTM has produced in the intervening 14 years), although they were "old-fashioned" right-way-up forks.
Brent
5/26/2010 9:06am
CASH476 wrote:
Does anyone else think that having one fork spring will put excess load on the fork legs /axle and contribute to all kinds of binding and...
Does anyone else think that having one fork spring will put excess load on the fork legs /axle and contribute to all kinds of binding and flexing? Seems like a bad idea to me.
Bingo.

The spring- side fork seal, won't it have a lot of lateral force on it too?

Adam43
5/26/2010 9:31am
Of course people could lose weight, but the fact remains that its the heaviest 450 in the class by a healthy margin.

Post a reply to: 2011 Kawasakis are up

The Latest