2010-2011 yz450f...is it really a bad bike?

Jmracer
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:40pm
I have been hearing lately that the new yamaha 450 is not a good bike ,but have been told if you spend a time on it its the best bike to own.what your thoughts,i am looking to buy one soon.
|
CrashMaster
12/23/2010 10:57am
They are all good bikes if you do some personal tweeks to your preferences .
SteveS
12/23/2010 11:00am
The guys around here I know that are riding them think they are great.
12/23/2010 11:02am
Check out the latest issue of "MOTOCROSS ACTION" they talk about the Yamaha 450's in detail
nytsmaC
12/23/2010 11:09am
That bike has been known to cause people to want to throw in the towel and give up on riding altogether!

The Shop

bradmx421
12/23/2010 11:48am
everyone that i know says its the best bike ever.......

...GL8 preferred the stock one over a factory Honda
aedwards07
12/23/2010 11:53am
I enjoy mine.Actually as of yesterday both of mine.
CrashMaster
12/23/2010 11:57am
bradmx421 wrote:
everyone that i know says its the best bike ever.......

...GL8 preferred the stock one over a factory Honda
I think if yamaha was paying you, you would say the same. Reed hates it, Stewart is having problems with it, Grant couldn't get comfortable on it, Tedesco didn't like it. I have a buddy who bought one, but sold it after a couple rides because he could not get comfortable on it. I rode it and I don't like how wide they are.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
12/23/2010 12:02pm
If I was going to buy a bike it would obviously be a 2-stroke (150SX), but RMZ looks like it would be the best 450 IMO. Dang, I even feel funny talking about an $8K boat anchor, when you could find a good 2-stroke for half the price. Even so, Yamaha of Troy is offering killer deals right now on left over 4-strokes.
TeamGreen
12/23/2010 12:02pm
It's jus' a bit different than the rest, that'a all.

It takes a bit of work/set-up to make it turn (That's in the words of LaPorte after the Catalina GP).

Me?

I'll know more about them in a few weeks. I'm going top be using one for my track-bike.
nytsmaC
12/23/2010 12:13pm
I think if yamaha was paying you, you would say the same. Reed hates it, Stewart is having problems with it, Grant couldn't get comfortable on...
I think if yamaha was paying you, you would say the same. Reed hates it, Stewart is having problems with it, Grant couldn't get comfortable on it, Tedesco didn't like it. I have a buddy who bought one, but sold it after a couple rides because he could not get comfortable on it. I rode it and I don't like how wide they are.
Where did you obtain this inside info from Reed, Stewart, Grant and Tedesco? You must be connected to know shit like that.
jeffro503
12/23/2010 12:25pm
Highsider wrote:
jeffro503, in 4-3-2-1....Grinning
Well.....to be fair , i had the 2010 YZ450F , and I did really like the bike.....even though it through on my head a couple times. But that was 100% my fault for riding like a dumbass.

When I sold the thing....it wasn't so much that I didn't like it....at that time , I was ready to hang it up for good....sick and tired of getting the shit kicked out of me!

BUT....even before I bought and sold the Yamaha.....I had my eyes on a 2008 CRF450....because i always felt really comfortable on the older Honda's. So....the Yamaha sold......And I went about 2 weeks with no bike , came to my senses ( my balls grew back ) and I went and picked up the last remaining 2008 CRF450.

Haven't ridden it yet....waiting until spring I guess. But for "me"......it just feels right sitting on it. That Yamaha was a good bike for sure. And if I would of taken the time to dial it in , I'm sure I would of loved it.

Bottom line "for me".....I felt 90% comfortable on how the Yamaha felt.......I feel 100% comfortable on the older Hondas. So if I end up hating this machine......I'm going to pick up another sport , like extreme quilt making / sewing or something.
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
12/23/2010 12:28pm
They are all good bikes if you do some personal tweeks to your preferences .
This.
jeffro503
12/23/2010 12:30pm
Highsider wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Well.....to be fair , i had the 2010 YZ450F , and I did really like the bike.....even though it through on my head a couple times...
Well.....to be fair , i had the 2010 YZ450F , and I did really like the bike.....even though it through on my head a couple times. But that was 100% my fault for riding like a dumbass.

When I sold the thing....it wasn't so much that I didn't like it....at that time , I was ready to hang it up for good....sick and tired of getting the shit kicked out of me!

BUT....even before I bought and sold the Yamaha.....I had my eyes on a 2008 CRF450....because i always felt really comfortable on the older Honda's. So....the Yamaha sold......And I went about 2 weeks with no bike , came to my senses ( my balls grew back ) and I went and picked up the last remaining 2008 CRF450.

Haven't ridden it yet....waiting until spring I guess. But for "me"......it just feels right sitting on it. That Yamaha was a good bike for sure. And if I would of taken the time to dial it in , I'm sure I would of loved it.

Bottom line "for me".....I felt 90% comfortable on how the Yamaha felt.......I feel 100% comfortable on the older Hondas. So if I end up hating this machine......I'm going to pick up another sport , like extreme quilt making / sewing or something.
OH....and one more thing. I have talk to Brad Benedict ( National MTN bike dude ) I sold it to....and he LOVES the thing! he said it was the best bike he had ever ridden. It should be.....for the price I sold it to him for! WoohooAngry
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2875th
12/23/2010 12:40pm
I rode and raced one all year. Hears my personal OPINION on the 2010 yzf 450. I raced an earlier model yzf450(07) and the 2010 is way better. Cornering is waaay better and the stock motor felt better to me than my friends 09 mod. Suspension is pretty good if your a 175lb novice but I had to respring and valve mine from fc and loved it after that. Bike does feel kinda different for the first ride or 2 but it's not uncomfortable as people claim.

Now as far as some of the other comments. Does anyone really care what the master class orange helmet wearers say? Here's a hint of what they'll tell you. "bike didn't have enough top end... Put a larger rear sprocket on it... It's undersprung" they say it about every bike it seems.

Now I dunno where the inside line on where the top s. Guys not liking or getting used to it is from but hey you might actually know them and heard from them and not just a vital rumor... But a few things. 1) top riders are very picky and changing very small things can be a world of difference. It9 is a short guy who previously rode a factory bike with a small compartment and went to a bigger bike with pc stuff on it. Just a thought?

Also, is the prospective buyer a top sx guy? Hmm don't know ya personally but I'll just assume not. No offense. So I dunno how going results of the best riders in the world on a well modified bike compares to a normal guy on a stock bike that may have only a few mods done?
These are only opinions of mine so don't take it as fact or that I'm shit talking any one. I liked mine and if your a yamaha guy you should be quite happy with it
Zycki11
12/23/2010 1:04pm
I owned a yamaha and was looking at getting one of the new ones. I had the chance to ride a buddies new kx, a new rmz, and a buddies new yamaha. The kx wasn't for me. Big and bulky, and just didn't handle the way I want a bike to handle. Yamaha handles great now, put a new linkage on the rear. But I chose yellow, that thing feels perfect. Ergos are spot on and the handling is ridiculous. Love hitting corners on that bike.
LB
12/23/2010 1:05pm
It surprises me that people even ask this question or make a comment like that.
James Stewart won Anaheim 1 in 2010 and then was injured the very next weekend only to be sidelined for 8 months.

Josh Hill stood on the podium 6 times at the beginning of the year and would have done much more if he wouldn't have hurt himself.

Ivan Tedesco stood on the podium 3 times (I think 3 times) and at least 5 4th place finishes in 2010.

This is the podiums that the 2010 Yamaha 450 got last year and people say the bike is bad? In 2 weeks everyone is going to be able to see if the 2011 Yamaha is good in Supercross.

I think the bike is just as good outdoors (even thou we didn't make it look very good at the one and only outdoor race we did last year) :-)
But let me tell you now, people are going to have a whole different perspective of the Yamaha 450 coming in 2011.
Hoodie
12/23/2010 1:20pm
So does that mean you will be outdoors or am I reaching?
jeffro503
12/23/2010 1:48pm
LB wrote:
It surprises me that people even ask this question or make a comment like that. James Stewart won Anaheim 1 in 2010 and then was injured...
It surprises me that people even ask this question or make a comment like that.
James Stewart won Anaheim 1 in 2010 and then was injured the very next weekend only to be sidelined for 8 months.

Josh Hill stood on the podium 6 times at the beginning of the year and would have done much more if he wouldn't have hurt himself.

Ivan Tedesco stood on the podium 3 times (I think 3 times) and at least 5 4th place finishes in 2010.

This is the podiums that the 2010 Yamaha 450 got last year and people say the bike is bad? In 2 weeks everyone is going to be able to see if the 2011 Yamaha is good in Supercross.

I think the bike is just as good outdoors (even thou we didn't make it look very good at the one and only outdoor race we did last year) :-)
But let me tell you now, people are going to have a whole different perspective of the Yamaha 450 coming in 2011.
Good points Larry....and well said.

To be totally honest......unless you are getting paid to ride for a certain factory ( or team ) the choice is up to you on what you want to ride. Buy the bike which feels the most comfortable and ride it for all it's worth.

BTW.....good luck to you , James and Kyle this season.
redrider400
12/23/2010 2:39pm
I think that if you are a taller guy that you will love it. I had a 09 CRF450 and couldn't get comfy on it. I then went to a 2010 YZ450 and think its the best bike that I have ever ridden. I am also 6'3, 220 pounds. I can see why someone smaller would not like it though. The same with the Kawi's. If I was smaller, I would be on a honda hands down. I loved that bike, but it didn't love me.
aedwards07
12/23/2010 4:08pm
Highsider wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Well.....to be fair , i had the 2010 YZ450F , and I did really like the bike.....even though it through on my head a couple times...

I actually came from a 2008 Honda crf450.Best bike I ever owned.I loved that bike it did everything just about perfect once I set the suspension up.Thats why I got the yami it reminded me of my 08 crf450 the most when I rode it.If you liked your yz at all you will like the 08 honda 450.
12/23/2010 4:20pm
Other than the fact its ugly, I love my 2010 yz. I had Factory Connection revalve the suspension and it turns great. The brakes could stop a train and it will go through whoops like crazy. I cant wait till after christmas, I get to try it out in Texas sand!!!
Kinetic1
12/23/2010 4:34pm
Jmracer wrote:
I have been hearing lately that the new yamaha 450 is not a good bike ,but have been told if you spend a time on it...
I have been hearing lately that the new yamaha 450 is not a good bike ,but have been told if you spend a time on it its the best bike to own.what your thoughts,i am looking to buy one soon.
All the bikes are good bikes but take time to set up. Buy the orange one and you can thank me when it has some hours on it and still looks feels and runs like it's fresh.Wink
FlaNard
12/23/2010 4:45pm
I think if yamaha was paying you, you would say the same. Reed hates it, Stewart is having problems with it, Grant couldn't get comfortable on...
nytsmaC wrote:
Where did you obtain this inside info from Reed, Stewart, Grant and Tedesco? You must be connected to know shit like that.
The same reason we all knew the Honda 450's were such shit in 09. Because we have eyes and ears.

Post a reply to: 2010-2011 yz450f...is it really a bad bike?

The Latest