2009 USGP - Englishtown NJ

bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:29am
All right, it's a long shot, but here are some reasons why it would be a great venue.

1) The track is located near several major metropolitan areas, the closest being New York City and Philadelphia. Both are within less than a one hour drive.

2) Excellent facility. Englishtown (Old Bridge Township) Raceway Park remains one of the most professionally run and cleanest looking motocross facilities I have ever been to, and this includes most of the AMA National track.

3) Track layout. While the track has some excellent features and superb soil, it also has plenty of space for expansion within the infield, or possible extension beyond the fence in the back section of the track.

4) Potential viewing. The track has long had a bleacher section near the scoring tower, but with a possible crowd of 30,000 or more, additional bleacher sections could be added around the entirety of the track. The facility is mostly flat, with a very slight upgrade heading towards the back section. Bleachers could provide excellent viewing around the track.

The compact but ample facility would provide a supercross like atmosphere that presents a more impressive air of professionalism than most outdoor motocross facilities.

5) Infield. There are plenty of places on the track where tunnels could be added to allow infield spectator viewing for the motos.

6) Excellent pit area. Flat and spacious enough to allow for plenty 18-wheelers. If this was not enough space, the pits could be moved over near the practice track, with parking in that area plus by the drag strip.

Like I said, it's a long shot, and I'm sure there are already some tracks bidding on the USGP round, but I think Englishtown's central location, track, and facility would make for an excellent event.

|
Highsider
10/26/2008 12:12pm
Heck, the rv's can park on the dragstrip...seems like a short walk to spectator areas.

Sounds like a good proposal.

Rebuttals, please? Aside from being in New JerseyWhistling

JJ
Camp332
10/26/2008 1:00pm
I love Raceway Park, but I think the lap times are too short for a GP. Like you said, utilizing other space to increase the track size is a good option. In the past, Nationals, and GP's like to have a natural landscape. Englishtown is all flat and man made. I would be all for it, since it will bring revenue to my home track, meaning it will stay around for a while and I can still ride there. NJ is a bitch to keep motocross alive and well.
babba boey
10/26/2008 1:03pm
Does Englishtown want to put on a charity race. I do not know why any one would want a GP at there track, unless someone else was going to foot the bill.

The Shop

crowe176
10/26/2008 1:29pm
Why don't we hold it at the Hampton Coliseum! Plenty of seats and parking, close to the airports!
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
10/26/2008 1:52pm
Camp332 wrote:
I love Raceway Park, but I think the lap times are too short for a GP. Like you said, utilizing other space to increase the track...
I love Raceway Park, but I think the lap times are too short for a GP. Like you said, utilizing other space to increase the track size is a good option. In the past, Nationals, and GP's like to have a natural landscape. Englishtown is all flat and man made. I would be all for it, since it will bring revenue to my home track, meaning it will stay around for a while and I can still ride there. NJ is a bitch to keep motocross alive and well.
E-town may be man-made, but it is far from being flat. It has some of the largest man-made obstacles in the country.

I actually could not tell you what the lap times are like, I never really paid attention on that track because I was either racing or having to much fun on practice days. However, if you look at this year's MXoN at Donington Park, the lap times were not that long, and aside from the one massive finish line table-top and a few tiny slopes, the facility was pretty flat, if not for the man-made obstacles. When South Africa hosted GPs at Sun City, that facility was completely flat and not very big, but offered some decent spectating. Same goes for Lierop and Vaalkensward.

babba boey- Youthstream and the GPs have sponsors that could help foot some of the bill, plus bring in Monster or Red Bull or another big company with deep pockets, and I think that could go a long way. The promise of good TV coverage would only add to the benefit of hosting a race like this.

Raceway Park has an excellent crew that I know would be up for the task as long the benefit out-weighed the costs, which is always the challenge. Get some input from some top guys, like Lawrence, Carsten, RC, or Everts, and they could have an excellent race.

BTW- I no longer live in NJ but it is still by far my favorite place to ride and race, even though I only get to do it once a year at best.
Devil1nNj
10/26/2008 6:07pm
I actually posted E-town as a joke in a diff venue thread. haha
I think lap times are way too short.
But from what Ive read about the fim it would seem like they would consider it based on the fact it is facility, and closest to several international airports.

I say budds, or Dilla! Natural terrain, and great spectating.
MaxPower
10/26/2008 6:21pm
they have their hands full at the KROC, never mind a World Class event

It would be cool if they could combine both sides of the property as one track
Motodude
10/26/2008 6:39pm
USGP wont happen anywhere, anytime soon.
super rat
10/26/2008 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:59pm
New Jersey is the arm pit of the world. I would only hope that we could find a great track in this beautiful country that is not in that state.

Go big Blue!
eddie
10/26/2008 7:36pm
Motodude wrote:
USGP wont happen anywhere, anytime soon.
its already announced skippy .
eddie
10/26/2008 7:52pm
I got two words for you

Davey Coombs and High Point.

Pick which 2.
it mostly definately wont be at a current mxsports track .
BobbyM
10/26/2008 8:09pm
bayodome wrote:
All right, it's a long shot, but here are some reasons why it would be a great venue. 1) The track is located near several major...
All right, it's a long shot, but here are some reasons why it would be a great venue.

1) The track is located near several major metropolitan areas, the closest being New York City and Philadelphia. Both are within less than a one hour drive.

2) Excellent facility. Englishtown (Old Bridge Township) Raceway Park remains one of the most professionally run and cleanest looking motocross facilities I have ever been to, and this includes most of the AMA National track.

3) Track layout. While the track has some excellent features and superb soil, it also has plenty of space for expansion within the infield, or possible extension beyond the fence in the back section of the track.

4) Potential viewing. The track has long had a bleacher section near the scoring tower, but with a possible crowd of 30,000 or more, additional bleacher sections could be added around the entirety of the track. The facility is mostly flat, with a very slight upgrade heading towards the back section. Bleachers could provide excellent viewing around the track.

The compact but ample facility would provide a supercross like atmosphere that presents a more impressive air of professionalism than most outdoor motocross facilities.

5) Infield. There are plenty of places on the track where tunnels could be added to allow infield spectator viewing for the motos.

6) Excellent pit area. Flat and spacious enough to allow for plenty 18-wheelers. If this was not enough space, the pits could be moved over near the practice track, with parking in that area plus by the drag strip.

Like I said, it's a long shot, and I'm sure there are already some tracks bidding on the USGP round, but I think Englishtown's central location, track, and facility would make for an excellent event.

yer fucking nuts. get a clue
Motodude
10/26/2008 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2008 8:23pm
I got two letters for why it wont happen... DC.
BobbyM
10/26/2008 8:48pm
Motodude wrote:
get off DC's nutz for fucks sake

there are many tracks that can kick ass. there are only a few regions that can kick ass. NJ ain't one of em.
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
10/26/2008 9:09pm
Wow! Some strong opinions here! For one thing, if you have ever been outside of Newark, or the Newark airport, NJ is actually a pretty nice place, but whatever, I know I'm not going to convince anybody of that here. And honestly, hold onto your negativity, and keep it out of NJ.

As far as the venue, don't you think it would be nice to show the rest of the world that motocross in America doesn't just consist of SoCal, the 12 National tracks, and Loretta Lynn's? Open up a new place that has proven its worth...spread the wealth. Just trying to think outside of the very small MX box.
trick121
10/26/2008 9:19pm
If E-town is an option then Starwest in California should be too.
BobbyM
10/26/2008 9:35pm
bayodome wrote:
Wow! Some strong opinions here! For one thing, if you have ever been outside of Newark, or the Newark airport, NJ is actually a pretty nice...
Wow! Some strong opinions here! For one thing, if you have ever been outside of Newark, or the Newark airport, NJ is actually a pretty nice place, but whatever, I know I'm not going to convince anybody of that here. And honestly, hold onto your negativity, and keep it out of NJ.

As far as the venue, don't you think it would be nice to show the rest of the world that motocross in America doesn't just consist of SoCal, the 12 National tracks, and Loretta Lynn's? Open up a new place that has proven its worth...spread the wealth. Just trying to think outside of the very small MX box.
so yer here to bag on DC's nutz too eh?
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
10/26/2008 9:47pm
Any track is an option. Starwest is a great place to ride, but it is not a premier facility when you look at other tracks around the country. The issue is which one would be best suited for an event like a USGP.

I believe the last time the US hosted one was in 1999 at Budds Creek, which Kevin Windham won. But it had a poor turn out and with both fans and riders. Motocross has grown by leaps and bounds since then, the World GPs and the Nationals have far better sponsorship and media recognition (well, the Nationals will finally this year thanks to MX Sports) and the final round of the World Championship needs a venue that will be easily accessible, and draw both US riders along with the riders that will be battling for a championship.

Think of this race as a prelude to next year's MXoN, as it will occur only a few weeks afterward. It could really show which series has the better riders overall. As Englishtown is a track that has never hosted a national, all of the racers would be on an even playing field for the most part (save for the few laps the Kawi guys take there every year for their demo at the KROC and J-Law, who grew up riding there).

Motodude
10/26/2008 11:30pm
Motodude wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
get off DC's nutz for fucks sake there are many tracks that can kick ass. there are only a few regions that can kick ass. NJ...
get off DC's nutz for fucks sake

there are many tracks that can kick ass. there are only a few regions that can kick ass. NJ ain't one of em.
Got nothing to do with track locations.
MX72
10/27/2008 2:31am
Bayo, You have a better chance at having it at Hawkin's pit, But, I'd love to see it happen.
KGA
10/27/2008 6:56am
"If E-town is an option then Starwest in California should be too."

I hope you're saying that to try to make a point, or reinforce your opinion that Etown would not be a good pick (I've never been there, so I can't really judge). But, Starwest, Perris, Elsinore, etc etc - all those local SoCal tracks you always hear and read about, are really pathetic in the grand scheme of American Motocross.

I was floored when I saw and rode those tracks (as in unbelievably disappointed). Flat ground = boring. So boring. I've been to "backyard" tracks in the rolling hills of the Midwest (matter of fact two of them off the top of my head turned into AMA-sanctioned venues) that would embarrass most West coast facilities. But beside the point - carry on.
10/27/2008 9:03am

Why worry about which track should host the proposed 2009 USGP?

Luongo isn't worrying about the track, all he cares about is his $250,000 sanction fee and a foothold in America. Don't forget that the FIM gave the MX des to a flat field in California a few years ago. It didn't have any amenities except that someone was willing to write a check. When it fell through, they got someone in Italy to write another check.
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
10/27/2008 11:46am
Why worry about which track should host the proposed 2009 USGP? Luongo isn't worrying about the track, all he cares about is his $250,000 sanction fee...

Luongo isn't worrying about the track, all he cares about is his $250,000 sanction fee and a foothold in America. Don't forget that the FIM gave the MX des to a flat field in California a few years ago. It didn't have any amenities except that someone was willing to write a check. When it fell through, they got someone in Italy to write another check.
Exactly! IT FELL THROUGH! So it does actually matter what track they choose. If they want to keep having events in the US, they cannot just go to the highest bidder. Budds Creek was a great venue for the MXoN, but like I said before, let's open the USGP up to tracks other than the 12 AMA National venues.
Jefro98
10/27/2008 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:00pm
Why worry about which track should host the proposed 2009 USGP? Luongo isn't worrying about the track, all he cares about is his $250,000 sanction fee...

Luongo is worried about the track, he wants a good USGP 'cause he indeed wants a foothold in the US.

FYI:

Luongo had nothing to do with the Comp Park fiasco.

FIM didn't give that MXdN to a flat field in Cali, that was Dorna. Dorna is no FIM and is no Luongo. Dorna does MotoGP and almost screwed up MX GP's and sold it back to Luongo(Youthsteam).

Post a reply to: 2009 USGP - Englishtown NJ

The Latest