2006 YZ125 Project - Build Log

9/15/2014 7:28am
Why not just spend $300 and get yourself a factory fatty fmf that comes to your door with that works look without finish?
Trying to keep a lid on the cost.
Crush
9/15/2014 7:51am
Gumtree. Saw one the other day!
9/15/2014 7:56am
Crush wrote:
Gumtree. Saw one the other day!
Nice! If it is cheaper than some sanding pads I'm keen to see a link.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/15/2014 10:56am
Well, I just made the two orders for the parts and some other tidy up bits for the bike. Got everything through BTO and International Moto...
Well, I just made the two orders for the parts and some other tidy up bits for the bike. Got everything through BTO and International Moto Parts. All the parts together will give me a fresh motor, minus some of the gears and the clutch side stuff. Also throwing in new swingarm and rear shock bearing kits. I will update progress on the motor when the orders arrive and the fun begins. Planning on using my soldering reflow oven to heat up the cases for sweating in the bearings, which should make life easy.

I threw in some white Acerbis X-Force handguards and white BTO Race Series backgrounds into the BTO order as well. Decided to do the rest of the plastics after my next trip to Louee Station. When that time comes, I'm going to go for a blue restyled front fender, white restyled rear fender, standard rad shrouds and 2014 shroud graphics. Should look mint. Also purchased a Factory Connection KYB fork and shock sticker set on eBay Smile

Spent a few hours on Sunday cleaning up the frame with the soap pads and it's looking sweet. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Found this link on stripping the paint off the stock silencer to give it a "works" look. I tried using paint stripper but it only softened the paint slightly. I will have to sand it back by hand but it's a great result if you have some elbow grease and a blow torch Smilehttp://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/976425-stripping-paint-on-expansion-ch…

I stripped the paint off my stock pipe on my 2006 YZ125 also. Like you said, paint stripper barely helped. I broke out the drill with a small wire wheel on it and made short work of that paint. Afterwards, I used progressively finer and finer sandpaper with WD-40 to get a nice finish.

The Shop

9/15/2014 5:27pm
FGR01 wrote:
I stripped the paint off my stock pipe on my 2006 YZ125 also. Like you said, paint stripper barely helped. I broke out the drill with...
I stripped the paint off my stock pipe on my 2006 YZ125 also. Like you said, paint stripper barely helped. I broke out the drill with a small wire wheel on it and made short work of that paint. Afterwards, I used progressively finer and finer sandpaper with WD-40 to get a nice finish.

Cool stuff. I might try a wire wheel as well. Thanks
Tonycar107
9/15/2014 7:46pm
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I am going tomorrow to pick up the same bike.
9/15/2014 8:37pm
Tonycar107 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I am going tomorrow to pick up the same bike.
I paid $2,000 AUD. Which is the cheapest I found for a 2006. I'm going to end up having about $3,500 in her by the time she is done, so make sure you get one without the shift stopper issue or get a 2007+.
11/3/2014 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2014 4:07pm
UPDATE:

Bottom end rebuild has been completed. A few gears, gear shaft, all seals and bearings, crank and shift shaft have all been replaced. Time permitting the engine will be back in the frame this week :D

Also cleaned up the frame and swingarm etc. New shock and swingarm bearings are being installed. Applied new BTO number backgrounds, factory connection fork protectors, grips, levers and Acerbis handguards.

I used this sealant for the cases. Service manual recommended Yamabond 1215, so I assumed ThreeBond 1215 is a match.

smezmx
1/12/2015 3:57am
So clean.any updates?
1/12/2015 5:30am
smezmx wrote:
So clean.any updates?
Thanks, man.

Yeh rebuild is complete and motor is back in the frame. Just need to put the clutch back in and replace the swing arm bearings.

Got a bunch of photos to add, but I will do a big update when I fire her up for the first time. Not a lot of time on my hands the last couple of months but itching to get on it for a ride!
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
10/6/2015 5:48pm
Keen to see the finished product!
11/3/2015 3:21am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2015 3:35am
Been a long time since I have done an update. I lost some photos from an SD card failure but this is where the bike is up to at the moment.

It's done about 6.5 hours and going great! Still got a number of things to do to finish it but loving every minute of riding this thing. Added Renthal Twin Wall 999 bars, Renthal bar clamps, Pirelli Scorpion's and a Acerbis X-Brake front disc guard.

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ125 Project - Build Log

The Latest