2006 YZ125 Project - Build Log

Edited Date/Time 11/3/2015 3:32am
Howdy!

Purchased an 06 YZ125 a couple of months back for a cheap price and decided to make it a project bike for the track. Here it was when I brought it home.

Plan is to tidy it up with 2014 shroud graphics, standard number plates and restyle front and rear fenders. Rebuild of the motor as well. Maybe throwing in a Pro Circuit pipe/silencer and V Force reeds.

|
Crush
8/25/2014 11:35pm
Nice dude!

Looks like you have a pretty dang good starting point! Few scratches to some blue plastics but pretty clean otherwise.
8/25/2014 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 11:43pm
Thanks, Crush. About a month after purchasing the bike, I found out about the shift stopper problem. I pulled the clutch out to discover the shift stopper bearing was non-existent, so decided to split the cases to see how bad the damage was. Turns out all bearings, seals, 3 gears and a gear shaft are needed. While I have the cases split I'm going to put a new crank and piston in it. Lucky enough that the entire rebuild comes in at a round $650, which is great for basically a fresh motor!

8/26/2014 2:46am
Great start! Looks sweet. I like the aluminum tray idea: I'll have to steal that for my next project. Keep 'em comin'!

The Shop

8/26/2014 3:02am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 3:03am
Great start! Looks sweet. I like the aluminum tray idea: I'll have to steal that for my next project. Keep 'em comin'!
Thanks, mate. Yeah it's the first time I've used the trays after having the idea (though I'm sure I can't be the first to use it) and they worked out really well. I recommend using one large one for disassembling and then transfer the parts to clean trays after degreasing. One thing is that they flex when you put too much weight in them, so you have to pick them up with care.
HazemG
8/27/2014 8:06am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 8:08am
Thanks, Crush. About a month after purchasing the bike, I found out about the shift stopper problem. I pulled the clutch out to discover the shift...
Thanks, Crush. About a month after purchasing the bike, I found out about the shift stopper problem. I pulled the clutch out to discover the shift stopper bearing was non-existent, so decided to split the cases to see how bad the damage was. Turns out all bearings, seals, 3 gears and a gear shaft are needed. While I have the cases split I'm going to put a new crank and piston in it. Lucky enough that the entire rebuild comes in at a round $650, which is great for basically a fresh motor!

Is that 650 including the transmission parts needed? I replaced my shift stopper and the bearings were non-existant as well so I am a bit scared to find out what will be wrong in the tranny.. I hit false neutral when shifting in between 1st and second (I'm stabbing hard with my left foot when shifting and never hit neutral on my other bike so I know it's not user error).
8/27/2014 8:11am
HazemG wrote:
Is that 650 including the transmission parts needed? I replaced my shift stopper and the bearings were non-existant as well so I am a bit scared...
Is that 650 including the transmission parts needed? I replaced my shift stopper and the bearings were non-existant as well so I am a bit scared to find out what will be wrong in the tranny.. I hit false neutral when shifting in between 1st and second (I'm stabbing hard with my left foot when shifting and never hit neutral on my other bike so I know it's not user error).
That's for the bearings, seals, gaskets, 3 gears, 1 gear shaft, crank and piston. There are some other items I'm also going to add in which might take it to $700 - $750. For instance, you will probably find shavings at the clutch push rod and gear shift shaft that grids it out. You really can't tell until you open it up.
VicDaMoan03
8/27/2014 8:41am
Personally I would have left it as is, that bike is sweet and has the clean stock look. Good luck and looking forward to the pics.
8/27/2014 8:48am
Personally I would have left it as is, that bike is sweet and has the clean stock look. Good luck and looking forward to the pics.
Yeah it's a good point. That's why I'm pretty keen on using 2014 stock graphics on stock shrouds, stock number plates and only upgrading the front and rear fenders to restyle. The pics make the plastics look better than what they are, but they are original plastic and in awesome condition for a 2006.
HazemG
9/2/2014 6:43am
How's the project going?
rcannon
9/2/2014 6:46am
If you find a bunch of spare money, the 2009 swingarm is a nice mod for our older bikes.
9/2/2014 6:53am
rcannon wrote:
If you find a bunch of spare money, the 2009 swingarm is a nice mod for our older bikes.
Interesting! Got any further detail?
9/2/2014 6:55am
HazemG wrote:
How's the project going?
Going slowly. Need to make my parts order but I'm still planning some other parts of the build first.
9/2/2014 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2015 6:28pm
rcannon wrote:
rcannon
9/3/2014 6:18am
rcannon wrote:
Details? There are not many, to be honest....

Rip off stock arm and throw it away..recycle it.

Bolt on 09 arm, larger rear axle, and anything the axle touches. The linkage can be swapped over, or the 09 parts will bolt on. The brake carrier, too, as th e09 is larger to fit over the axle.

It saves a few pounds, seriously, pounds. The bike for sure handles better, and at my "special" level, I need all the help I can get. I did my yz 250 back in 2010 using all brand new take off parts. I believe it was 500.00 including my building up the new rim and hub.

9/3/2014 6:29am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 6:29am
rcannon wrote:
Details? There are not many, to be honest.... Rip off stock arm and throw it away..recycle it. Bolt on 09 arm, larger rear axle, and anything...
Details? There are not many, to be honest....

Rip off stock arm and throw it away..recycle it.

Bolt on 09 arm, larger rear axle, and anything the axle touches. The linkage can be swapped over, or the 09 parts will bolt on. The brake carrier, too, as th e09 is larger to fit over the axle.

It saves a few pounds, seriously, pounds. The bike for sure handles better, and at my "special" level, I need all the help I can get. I did my yz 250 back in 2010 using all brand new take off parts. I believe it was 500.00 including my building up the new rim and hub.

Cool!

Might consider something like that later. First suspension job is to get the forks recoated, new seals and fresh oil.

Thanks for the info. Great looking bike too!
9/6/2014 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2014 8:53pm
Started cleaning up the cases for the rebuild (ordering parts today :D). Achieved this result using Coles brand steel wool soap pads $1.40/box, 50/50 mix of CT-18/Water, and sprays of WD-40. I tried using a non-acid alloy wheel cleaner but it didn't have enough power to lift the stains, however I may use it to do a final clean up. I have been avoiding using harsh acid based cleaners, and this is turning out to work quite well.

Before:

After:

Items used:
Crush
9/6/2014 9:26pm
Glad to see some more Aussies getting involved!
9/6/2014 11:20pm
Crush wrote:
Glad to see some more Aussies getting involved!
Yeah, there needs to be more Aussie builds!
Crush
9/7/2014 3:09am
Have you seen DDMX18's YZs? He's got quite the stable. Worth a look
9/7/2014 4:35am
Crush wrote:
Can't say I have. I will have a search.
mxracer317
9/7/2014 9:45am
Crush wrote:
I've even trying to figure out who makes DDMX18's graphics. They look like Factory Effex but I can't find them on the website. Any help?
DDMX18
9/7/2014 2:22pm
Crush wrote:
mxracer317 wrote:
I've even trying to figure out who makes DDMX18's graphics. They look like Factory Effex but I can't find them on the website. Any help?
Hey mxracer317, good luck with the rebuilt, looks like its coming along nicely. Nothing better than a sweet looking 125. The graphics on my 125 were done by MX Graphics. Check then out at mxgraphics.co or contact Eric on mxgraphics@Live.com. They will do pretty much anything you want and ​have great service. Looking forward to the finished result! Cheers DDMX18.
mxracer317
9/7/2014 2:41pm
Crush wrote:
mxracer317 wrote:
DDMX18 wrote:
Hey mxracer317, good luck with the rebuilt, looks like its coming along nicely. Nothing better than a sweet looking 125. The graphics on my 125 were...
Hey mxracer317, good luck with the rebuilt, looks like its coming along nicely. Nothing better than a sweet looking 125. The graphics on my 125 were done by MX Graphics. Check then out at mxgraphics.co or contact Eric on mxgraphics@Live.com. They will do pretty much anything you want and ​have great service. Looking forward to the finished result! Cheers DDMX18.
Hey thanks for the reply! I'm actually not doing the original build in this post… I'm just another proud YZ250 owner!
dedi684
9/7/2014 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2014 3:01pm
I got some nice yz parts for sale. Rg3 top clamp and a pro taper billet throttle tube with bearing. A complete seat. Also a mint works connection pro perch. I Just got a ktm.
Crush
9/7/2014 5:33pm
You guys should check out SKDesigns down here. Sammy printed up mine and has some really nice original stuff, quite different to what's out there... And it's really really good vinyl. Trust me, I know vinyl! I spend most of my time with it!

www.skda.com.au
9/7/2014 5:50pm
Crush wrote:
You guys should check out SKDesigns down here. Sammy printed up mine and has some really nice original stuff, quite different to what's out there... And...
You guys should check out SKDesigns down here. Sammy printed up mine and has some really nice original stuff, quite different to what's out there... And it's really really good vinyl. Trust me, I know vinyl! I spend most of my time with it!

www.skda.com.au
Nice stuff! I love the "RAZOR - ORANGE" kit.
Crush
9/7/2014 6:02pm
Yeah he's got a few really really good ones there. I just like em mostly because they're quite different to the usual shit you see out there.
9/15/2014 6:41am
Well, I just made the two orders for the parts and some other tidy up bits for the bike. Got everything through BTO and International Moto Parts. All the parts together will give me a fresh motor, minus some of the gears and the clutch side stuff. Also throwing in new swingarm and rear shock bearing kits. I will update progress on the motor when the orders arrive and the fun begins. Planning on using my soldering reflow oven to heat up the cases for sweating in the bearings, which should make life easy.

I threw in some white Acerbis X-Force handguards and white BTO Race Series backgrounds into the BTO order as well. Decided to do the rest of the plastics after my next trip to Louee Station. When that time comes, I'm going to go for a blue restyled front fender, white restyled rear fender, standard rad shrouds and 2014 shroud graphics. Should look mint. Also purchased a Factory Connection KYB fork and shock sticker set on eBay Smile

Spent a few hours on Sunday cleaning up the frame with the soap pads and it's looking sweet. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Found this link on stripping the paint off the stock silencer to give it a "works" look. I tried using paint stripper but it only softened the paint slightly. I will have to sand it back by hand but it's a great result if you have some elbow grease and a blow torch Smilehttp://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/976425-stripping-paint-on-expansion-ch…

9/15/2014 7:20am
Why not just spend $300 and get yourself a factory fatty fmf that comes to your door with that works look without finish?

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ125 Project - Build Log

The Latest