2001 CR250 $pecial restoration

1/14/2017 8:00am
brocster wrote:
I had one of those 2001 cr's and someone at the time was making power valve cover spacers intended to increase power valve volume for better...
I had one of those 2001 cr's and someone at the time was making power valve cover spacers intended to increase power valve volume for better low end. I fabricated my own and I would recommend trying to find find one if you are going to be riding it and want a little more bottom.
If you look at the last pics, you will see I have a special Boyesen power valve cover on with increased volume. It does work. It smooths out and widens the power.
1/14/2017 8:15am
JWACK wrote:
Awesome build! I had a brand new 00 model. I also regret getting rid of it. Couple years ago I built my hybrid, it's the best...
Awesome build! I had a brand new 00 model. I also regret getting rid of it. Couple years ago I built my hybrid, it's the best of both late generations. I'll looking forward to the finished product! Here is a shot of mine.

That's awesome.. do you have a few more pics.. I was going to do a similar build. I like the newer generation frame a tiny bit more, but I don't like the start of Honda's pointy plastic trend, especially on the side panels. Here is the pic of HRC's all time ultimate 250 2T build.. they only built one prototype.

JWACK
1/14/2017 8:23am
JWACK wrote:
Awesome build! I had a brand new 00 model. I also regret getting rid of it. Couple years ago I built my hybrid, it's the best...
Awesome build! I had a brand new 00 model. I also regret getting rid of it. Couple years ago I built my hybrid, it's the best of both late generations. I'll looking forward to the finished product! Here is a shot of mine.

That's awesome.. do you have a few more pics.. I was going to do a similar build. I like the newer generation frame a tiny bit...
That's awesome.. do you have a few more pics.. I was going to do a similar build. I like the newer generation frame a tiny bit more, but I don't like the start of Honda's pointy plastic trend, especially on the side panels. Here is the pic of HRC's all time ultimate 250 2T build.. they only built one prototype.

I agree with the side panels. The 00-01 was just right in a lot of ways. That works hybrid is trick! I have a few more pics.

tp4
1/14/2017 8:31am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 2:22pm
sweet all the way

The Shop

1/14/2017 8:35am
brocster wrote:
I had one of those 2001 cr's and someone at the time was making power valve cover spacers intended to increase power valve volume for better...
I had one of those 2001 cr's and someone at the time was making power valve cover spacers intended to increase power valve volume for better low end. I fabricated my own and I would recommend trying to find find one if you are going to be riding it and want a little more bottom.
Here is a better pic of the Boyesen exhaust valve cover with bigger volume.. not sure if they sell them anymore. I also polished up the water pump cover.

On the other side of the exhaust valve, I just have a plain red anodized cover, but I also have a red anodized cover with a glass bubble on it so you can see the action of the exhaust valve. I got it in Japan and still have it. Works good until it gets splashed with oil and you cant see anymore, but it drew a lot of questions.. with people asking "what the heck is that on the cylinder"?

1/14/2017 8:45am
JWACK wrote:

That's awesome.. do you have a few more pics.. I was going to do a similar build. I like the newer generation frame a tiny bit...

JWACK wrote:
I agree with the side panels. The 00-01 was just right in a lot of ways. That works hybrid is trick! I have a few more...
I agree with the side panels. The 00-01 was just right in a lot of ways. That works hybrid is trick! I have a few more pics.

Beautiful bike, there Jwack.. I see you have a works Showa rear shock on it, too. Is that DLC coated lowers on the fork sliders, too?

What I should have done is try to build a copy of that one-off works bike.. that would be really cool.
JWACK
1/14/2017 8:53am

JWACK wrote:
I agree with the side panels. The 00-01 was just right in a lot of ways. That works hybrid is trick! I have a few more...

Beautiful bike, there Jwack.. I see you have a works Showa rear shock on it, too. Is that DLC coated lowers on the fork sliders, too...
Beautiful bike, there Jwack.. I see you have a works Showa rear shock on it, too. Is that DLC coated lowers on the fork sliders, too?

What I should have done is try to build a copy of that one-off works bike.. that would be really cool.
Yes it is dlc. They are B kit forks. They work very well.! The shock is more impressive than the forks though. Absolute magic. I really dig that your keeping it original but trick. Plus it's got a great story.!
1/14/2017 9:06am
I never figured out what was a Showa B-kit fork. Does it have any works parts in it? I have seen the Kayaba B-kits from Technical Touch, but not a Showa "B-kit". The A-kit, B-kit stuff and nomenclature is something more recent than 2001 era.

What do you like about the shock? Unlike the stock forks, I never had much complaint with shock. I probably should look around for a works shock.
1/14/2017 9:22am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 9:25am
Here is the original 2001 CR brochure.. The Japan models came with a different silencer. I still have it.. brand new as I never used it.

JWACK
1/14/2017 9:28am
I never figured out what was a Showa B-kit fork. Does it have any works parts in it? I have seen the Kayaba B-kits from Technical...
I never figured out what was a Showa B-kit fork. Does it have any works parts in it? I have seen the Kayaba B-kits from Technical Touch, but not a Showa "B-kit". The A-kit, B-kit stuff and nomenclature is something more recent than 2001 era.

What do you like about the shock? Unlike the stock forks, I never had much complaint with shock. I probably should look around for a works shock.
B kit is just stock stuff coated. No unobtainable parts. Just a good set up. The shock is the cats meow. Much better in the chop while on the gas, It will not kick or do anything weird at all. Most places you would stand up in fear you can sit down and not worry one bit. Super plush and will not bottom. Best money I've ever spent!
Lightning78
1/14/2017 10:44am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 10:56am
JWACK wrote:

You couldn't accomplish this with a custom built you'll tank and the subframe off at 2001? Seems to me that it's entirely possible to use the newer chassis and the 2001 bodywork if you did those things someone correct me if I'm wrong? And I'm not necessarily convinced that you even need a custom built tank I think you could put those shroud on the newer bike and I know from seeing many projects that the motor can be easily made to fit in the newer chassis well maybe it's worth looking into maybe when i have the money someday I'll build one ha ha
Harry_Gray
1/14/2017 11:59am
Off topic Newmann ;) but the car in the background is a 1973 RS Z28. I built the car from the frame up and the 772hp...
Off topic Newmann Wink but the car in the background is a 1973 RS Z28. I built the car from the frame up and the 772hp (6350 rpm) and 705 ft lbs tq (4200 rpm) engine. That car too has a lot of NOS GM parts including an almost complete NOS interior. The engine is a 401ci Dart Little M block and 8-71 Littlefield blower at 14 lbs of boost. I am old school, I guess.

Badass. Seriously Badass.
1/14/2017 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2017 2:00pm
I am searching for a set of these...They are HRC circa 2000-2001..

1/14/2017 2:11pm
Awesome build! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Here's my 00 that I just finished a few months ago...

1/14/2017 2:39pm
mxracer618 wrote:
Awesome build! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Here's my 00 that I just finished a few months ago... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/01/14/169161/s1200_IMG_1852.jpg[/img]
Awesome build! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Here's my 00 that I just finished a few months ago...

Wow.. another stellar build.. I didn't think there were that many nicely restored 00-01 CR250's out there.. you usually see people restoring the last generation CR250s. Reminds me what nice looking bikes these were when kept simple.

Are those RG3 triple clamps? Are they A-kit forks?.. I see the black fork lugs.

More pics please!
1/16/2017 6:14pm
Wow.. another stellar build.. I didn't think there were that many nicely restored 00-01 CR250's out there.. you usually see people restoring the last generation CR250s...
Wow.. another stellar build.. I didn't think there were that many nicely restored 00-01 CR250's out there.. you usually see people restoring the last generation CR250s. Reminds me what nice looking bikes these were when kept simple.

More pics please!
Thanks man! Got a little carried away on this one, there's a thread on it in the bike builds section...
A-kit suspension, rg3 clamps... went through every other part of it...

jeffro503
1/16/2017 7:19pm
Oh my god man , you are doing such an awesome build on this thing. That is starting to look incredible! I'm not loyal to any color as long as the bike looks good , and yours looks pretty dang incredible so far. Keep up the good work and post more pics when you can please.

1/16/2017 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2017 10:50pm
Wow.. another stellar build.. I didn't think there were that many nicely restored 00-01 CR250's out there.. you usually see people restoring the last generation CR250s...

More pics please!
mxracer618 wrote:
Thanks man! Got a little carried away on this one, there's a thread on it in the bike builds section... A-kit suspension, rg3 clamps... went through...
Thanks man! Got a little carried away on this one, there's a thread on it in the bike builds section...
A-kit suspension, rg3 clamps... went through every other part of it...

You did a nice job.. I like the gold fork sliders, the polish on the outside of the footpegs and the alternative carb vent hose routing.. nice detail. What was your motivation to invest so much in this old scoot?
1/17/2017 3:38am
You did a nice job.. I like the gold fork sliders, the polish on the outside of the footpegs and the alternative carb vent hose routing...
You did a nice job.. I like the gold fork sliders, the polish on the outside of the footpegs and the alternative carb vent hose routing.. nice detail. What was your motivation to invest so much in this old scoot?
Well, i inherited the bike from my uncle who had recently passed away. He was always a huge fan of CR250's and would buy a new one every few years. At first I just wanted to get it ready to race, but as I got into it, I got a little obsessed with making it as perfect of a factory replica as I could. One thing kinda led to another and this is how it turned out. I got lucky on eBay a few times and found some pretty rare parts. I also updated a few things and now this bike is good enough to be reasonably competitive with anything current (at least for a 35 year old amateur nobody like me) and I'm having a ton of fun on it.

22nd overall in the Coup De Grace...

Here's the part that will make you cry.... check out what that mud did... I guess my personal rule about never pussing out due to bad weather kinda bit me in the ass this time..... total bill from that race: graphics, chain, sprockets, front & rear brake pads, and new lower fork tubes..... ouch

1/17/2017 5:58am
Your uncle would be please with what you did with the bike. Ouch on the mud damage. I no longer ride in mud unless I have a beater to use.
mjr119
1/17/2017 6:04am
Yeah I would've pussed out with the A-kit in that mud lol.
1/17/2017 6:35am
mjr119 wrote:
Yeah I would've pussed out with the A-kit in that mud lol.
I never would have thought it would be that bad, I've done a few gnarly mudders in the past and not had that problem... I wouldn't have been surprised to see the fork seals go, but I didn't expect to ruin the tubes..... I guess when Glen Helen gets that wet it's like liquid sandpaper.... Travis at TBT said he's seen 4 other guys besides me that had this happen that day....
1/19/2017 4:59pm
I spent quite a bit of money on just new OEM Honda hardware in the past week or 2.. here are all the little Honda packets with bolts, washers and other parts as I try to keep tack of them. The original parts were fine, but the new hardware is what makes the build look so much nicer in person.

There were few parts that Honda changed as replacement parts that weren't up to the quality of the original items, for example, the replacement carb boot clamps were too flimsy and the tabs bent even before I got tension on the clamps. I chucked these new parts and used the original parts. The fenders and radiator guards are still available and plentiful. Side panels and radiator shrouds available but in short supply. Fuel tanks available but getting scarcer. Air box is no longer available and impossible to find. The fork guards and front disc cover are available from Honda, but no longer in the original white color.. it is now a kind of translucent white which is different than original. Some of the rear brake line guides/ rear brake covers are available, but a few are no longer available from Honda, but I could find them on ebay. It was a good time to do the restoration as the right parts are starting to disappear.

Bike should be finished in about a week or so, but there are a few things that I have had to redo. I mistakenly used aluminum cleaner on the HRC cast magnesium ignition cover and it turned it almost black. I found out later that you should use scrub less bathroom cleaner that has bleach or some other oxidizer in it to clean magnesium. I used the bathroom cleaner after the screw up and it lightened it back up quite a bit.
1/21/2017 1:01pm
Bike is nearly finished and I started her up today. It started on the 2nd kick and I wasn't expecting it to start so easy since the carb and cylinder were bone dry and I just gave it a few half hearted kicks to prime the engine with gas. She certainly wants to run... it starts just halfway through the first kick when she is warm. I am just waiting on a few more parts coming in next Monday or Tuesday, need to put on the remainder of the plastic, and will do some more detailing. Not sure if I should use the NOS OEM front rotor cover or a carbon fiber one I have had sitting around. I was not satisfied with some of the replacement Honda OEM parts, so I tracked down some more original NOS stock. I spent as much time searching for the original Honda parts as I did working on the bike.

1/21/2017 1:10pm
Here you can see how much lighter I got the magnesium ignition cover using bathroom clear with bleach. The aluminum cleaner had turned the magnesium almost black and thought I ruined it.

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
1/21/2017 1:18pm
Drool worthy. Even just the look of the new tank. Tough to decide when to run the NOS OEM parts and when to keep them new I'm sure. Great work.
Lastander
1/21/2017 1:36pm
I hope you have another exhaust for it, putting a platinum pipe on such a great looking bike should be punishable by death Sick
No offense though, great work so far, i bought a -06 250R 2 months ago, as soon as i get my -17 crf450 im gonna tear her down and get every piece as good as new Cheerful

It was a bit pricey getting that TJ kit to sweden but it was so worth itWoohoo

Post a reply to: 2001 CR250 $pecial restoration

The Latest