2 weeks with broken collarbone, second thoughts about surgery?

pilotx253
Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 7:12pm
I broke my right collarbone 2 weeks ago, (right in the middle) and now its overlapping 23mm or almost an inch. I met with the same doctor who plated my left collarbone 5 years ago. The first visit she measures the distance that the bone is displaced and says it will heal fine. On my 2nd visit yesterday she throws a curve ball at me and indicates they she would normally plate it with it being this far displaced/overlapping however, it's very stable and will heal fine the way it is.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about having my shoulder non-symmetrical and out of place. I don't think my shoulder is that out of whack, contrary to my wife calling me crooked. Should I pull the trigger and have surgery? My mind says just let it heal, I just don't want regrets with an active lifestyle of moto and mtb! Even though I am 38, I can hold my own in Vet A, Masters A, and probably get my butt lightly or mostly kicked in any district A class...lol.

Any input? I also remember post surgery being extremely painful last time and invasive. Ugh!
|
Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
10/3/2015 6:22am
Both of mine are lapped over and healed up fine. It seems like that would be stronger than having it butted together? I've also had no shoulder problems from it even though I'm 49 and been riding since I was 5. Good luck.
Roscoe33
10/3/2015 6:39am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 6:40am
if you broke it 2 weeks ago, it's started to heal, if it's still mobile you can get the surgery if it's fused they would have to rebreak it.
it's now the rehab season when you call your ortho guy.
three9zero
10/3/2015 6:39am
My left collar bone has a sweet lightning bolt in it and a gnarly lump. Its been about 20 years since that injury. Now my shoulder is out of alignment(pulled to the front). My back neck are in constant throbbing pain, and the collarbone puts my whole left side of my body out of sorts, causing over compensation with muscles and poor posture. I'd suggest to get it fixed correctly and plated. Out of all my injuries( and I've had lots) this is the only one that really bothers me on a daily basis. Too each their own though.
brocster
10/3/2015 8:27am
Have the old lightning bolt in my right one as well. Right shoulder is definately out of alignment and started giving me pain while sleeping was considering getting it fixed and as fate would have it. I fell on it thursday night and dislocated my shoulder. Its back in but I am going to ortho on Monday to acess the damage...

The Shop

DE262
10/3/2015 8:31am
My right collarbone has a big braking bump in it as well. It's overlapped a bit, but not bad.
I did mine last December, so far no problems. Been back riding/surfing since Feb...
10/3/2015 8:58am
I'd get it fixed. My left shoulder is shorter as in not as wide as my right because of that.
When I do power cleans and squat cleans the bar sometimes hits it.
10/3/2015 9:23am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 9:35am
Just do it. I wish my doc would fix mine. I got my right fixed at 15. And now my new ortho keeps saying its a money grab procedure. Which I disagree. My shoulders shorter and the xray looks no better 30 days after my break.

Get it fixed. No questions. You'll be healed in 3-4 weeks after its plated. No more monkeying around. My plated collarbone has never given me an issue outside a slight ache on rainy days. But my strength has never Been compromised and my shoulders were out to the right length until my left snapped on August 30th.

Im getting a third opinion Thursday outside of my insurance. (My old ortho that did my right side) Not happy but I think it's politics playing a part why they won't fix it. It's driving me nuts. If they offered to fix it. Do it.

Here's mine. What's your look like ?

Grizz
10/3/2015 9:30am
Surgery if you can! I did this 2 weeks ago and I already feel like I could ride lightly. Only thing holding me back is healing from the concussion I also received.

I was lucky and was able to have surgery the very next day. The first time I broke my left collarbone they made me wait a week to have surgery.
10/3/2015 9:32am
Right. I'm in that boat now. Not as bad as yours clearly but still this injury does suck.
yz763
10/3/2015 10:22am
Trust me, if you have any thought about having it plated....do it. I broke mine in 3 places mountain biking. I let heal for 6 weeks and it was still week. It only hurt lifting but felt fine pushing it back together. Come to find out, it had calcified(?) on the top but was not healing on the bottom. I went in for surgery and had it rebroke and plated. When I wheeled out of the doctors office it felt like nothing had ever happened to it and was 100% immediately.
holverson34
10/3/2015 10:39am
Mine overlaps. Doc said I could get it fixed or let it heal either way should be fine. Wish I got it fixed because it feels like it catches a nerve when I do a pushup motion and feels like a shock goes down my arm.
hillbilly
10/3/2015 10:45am
If you ride long enuff you'll probably become symmetrical again, I did.
Frodad78
10/3/2015 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 12:17pm
Buddy of mine broke his in a crash, it wasn't healing so he had it plated. Months later he had to have the plate removed because it was causing him all kinds of issues. Guess he needed the plate to have it heal right but then the plate had to go. Good luck man!
pilotx253
10/3/2015 1:30pm
Hillbilly is probably right! Thanks for all the comments.
Any horror stories of breaking a clavicle with a plate on it?
yz763
10/3/2015 1:50pm
Frodad78 wrote:
Buddy of mine broke his in a crash, it wasn't healing so he had it plated. Months later he had to have the plate removed because...
Buddy of mine broke his in a crash, it wasn't healing so he had it plated. Months later he had to have the plate removed because it was causing him all kinds of issues. Guess he needed the plate to have it heal right but then the plate had to go. Good luck man!
Mine healed great! What we didn't know at the time was I broke it so bad I also broke my top rib which caused a ton of problems. Doc ended up taking out my top rib and keeping the hardware in and things are great.
bvm111
10/3/2015 1:56pm
You know you are allowed to get a second opinion right?

Call another doctor
hillbilly
10/3/2015 2:11pm
bvm111 wrote:
You know you are allowed to get a second opinion right?

Call another doctor
No need after coming here,we know everything.
10/3/2015 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 3:00pm
Wish I had plated mine, as it's overlapped and has caused many problems over the years. The skeletal misalignment puts your whole upper back in a bind and limits much of what you can do, in terms of sports and exercise. Muscle spasms are the norm.

Here's some good info:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/this-much-we-know-everything-you-nee…
olds cool
10/3/2015 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 3:39pm
Have broken each of mine on different occasions. First one was when I was 40 and I was getting back into riding/racing after getting a family started. Last one was about 4 years ago . That one came with 3 broken ribs and a collapsed and punctured lung (lol). Neither Dr offered to plate either one, though I did have more pressing issues with the last one. Now at 54 I have two good size knots that stand out like a sore thumb but at my age I don't really care! I went to a chiropractor this summer and being a new patient, he took a complete set of upper body x-rays and the first thing he asked when he came back in the room was "what kind of fights have you been in and lost?" As hillbilly would say, "Good times!" Smile
mxjeff575
10/3/2015 3:33pm
I would definitely get it plated. I can't see how having something an inch out of place (shoulder, etc) wouldn't cause other issues. I remember it hurting the first day or two after surgery, but pain pills took care of that. 7 days later i had no pain and felt like a normal person (other than not riding) in day to day life.
10/3/2015 5:53pm
Just do it. I wish my doc would fix mine. I got my right fixed at 15. And now my new ortho keeps saying its a...
Just do it. I wish my doc would fix mine. I got my right fixed at 15. And now my new ortho keeps saying its a money grab procedure. Which I disagree. My shoulders shorter and the xray looks no better 30 days after my break.

Get it fixed. No questions. You'll be healed in 3-4 weeks after its plated. No more monkeying around. My plated collarbone has never given me an issue outside a slight ache on rainy days. But my strength has never Been compromised and my shoulders were out to the right length until my left snapped on August 30th.

Im getting a third opinion Thursday outside of my insurance. (My old ortho that did my right side) Not happy but I think it's politics playing a part why they won't fix it. It's driving me nuts. If they offered to fix it. Do it.

Here's mine. What's your look like ?

That needs plated. Find another dr.
10/3/2015 6:51pm

Get it plated its not that bad. Did mine last march i am 56 2 weeks in a sling at 6 weeks back to work at 8 weeks i was riding.

10/3/2015 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 7:13pm
Broke my left collarbone 20 years ago and it sticks up about 2 inches. Never did anything with it, hasn't caused any problems that I know of.
The only disturbing thing is that the doctor in the ER that I stopped at on the way home didn't speak much English so there was a communication barrier. To this day I'm not sure if I was supposed to do anything else with it.

Post a reply to: 2 weeks with broken collarbone, second thoughts about surgery?

The Latest