1999 RM 125 Clutch help!

vaslak
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2015 1:39pm
Hey guys im new here and any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a 1999 Rm125 and the clutch wasnt disengaging correctly so I replaced the Clutch plates and that didnt do anything. Then I replaced the clutch basket last week and it still is not disengaging. I may have installed the clutch basket incorrectly but im not sure. Is there anything you guys think I may have done wrong that could effect the clutch from not working when installing the clutch basket and clutch plates?

Thanks so much for the feed back!

-Steven
|
RandyS
8/8/2015 8:45am
RM125 clutches don't disengage, you're expecting too much. That's what the front brake is for. If you put another Suzuki basket on it you're going to get the same result, at least that's what I remember from my 3 late 90s/early 2000s. The only one that worked had a Hinson basket.
BurtbaC
8/8/2015 9:59am
I had this same issue back in the day, bike was always in motion. I figured out that I put the flat bearing between the pressure plate and clutch push piece (looking at a clutch schismatic online) in facing the wrong way. At least that is what I can remember, it's been a long time. Hope this helps.
vaslak
8/9/2015 6:35pm
BurtbaC wrote:
I had this same issue back in the day, bike was always in motion. I figured out that I put the flat bearing between the pressure...
I had this same issue back in the day, bike was always in motion. I figured out that I put the flat bearing between the pressure plate and clutch push piece (looking at a clutch schismatic online) in facing the wrong way. At least that is what I can remember, it's been a long time. Hope this helps.
Ill try that!! Thanks for the help!
vaslak
8/9/2015 6:36pm
RandyS wrote:
RM125 clutches don't disengage, you're expecting too much. That's what the front brake is for. If you put another Suzuki basket on it you're going to...
RM125 clutches don't disengage, you're expecting too much. That's what the front brake is for. If you put another Suzuki basket on it you're going to get the same result, at least that's what I remember from my 3 late 90s/early 2000s. The only one that worked had a Hinson basket.
I hope that isnt the case with my bike! I bought a wiseco basket, so hopefully its better!

The Shop

8/9/2015 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2015 9:04pm
BurtbaC wrote:
I had this same issue back in the day, bike was always in motion. I figured out that I put the flat bearing between the pressure...
vaslak wrote:
I did that by mistake and the thrust bearing chewed the inside of the pressure plate out. Could actually be what's wrong with it ATM. Check the Inside of the pressure plate for wear, if there is wear you'll get less throw from the clutch and the thrust bearing will be binding..

Is the thrust bearing in good condition? Push rod worn or bent? Are you using OEM clutch springs? The part the thrust bearing sits on can wear out on the inside causing the clutch to bind up as well. And the obvious, clutch cable adjusted correctly?
BobbyM
8/9/2015 9:27pm
Buy an in depth manual for God's sakes.
vaslak
8/10/2015 11:41am
BurtbaC wrote:
vaslak wrote:
#991 wrote:
I did that by mistake and the thrust bearing chewed the inside of the pressure plate out. Could actually be what's wrong with it ATM. Check...
I did that by mistake and the thrust bearing chewed the inside of the pressure plate out. Could actually be what's wrong with it ATM. Check the Inside of the pressure plate for wear, if there is wear you'll get less throw from the clutch and the thrust bearing will be binding..

Is the thrust bearing in good condition? Push rod worn or bent? Are you using OEM clutch springs? The part the thrust bearing sits on can wear out on the inside causing the clutch to bind up as well. And the obvious, clutch cable adjusted correctly?
yes im using oem clutch springs, would those not work with the after market parts? push rod seems to be good but it defintely is loose and you can move it around. I wasnt sure if that was normal or not! Clutch cable is most definitely good though.
8/10/2015 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2015 1:45pm
vaslak wrote:
#991 wrote:
I did that by mistake and the thrust bearing chewed the inside of the pressure plate out. Could actually be what's wrong with it ATM. Check...

vaslak wrote:
yes im using oem clutch springs, would those not work with the after market parts? push rod seems to be good but it defintely is loose...
yes im using oem clutch springs, would those not work with the after market parts? push rod seems to be good but it defintely is loose and you can move it around. I wasnt sure if that was normal or not! Clutch cable is most definitely good though.
Yeah, that's normal.

I haven't used an after market clutch with OEM springs so couldn't tell you sorry. I know It's highly recommended to use OEM clutches in the RM125's though.

I have a Hinson basket and full OEM clutch. About 12 months old now. It's just started creeping forward once warmed up. I'm putting it down to a worn out clutch. Might be the aftermarket clutch in yours.

The RM125 OEM clutch springs are very HD.

Post a reply to: 1999 RM 125 Clutch help!

The Latest