kiwifan
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 12:31pm
ah....the track, the crowd, the works bikes....sigh....please enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=629791447150159&fref=nf
|
kiwifan
3/16/2015 4:43pm
Wonder what sort of lock down they had on Lechien over there
I think his 'offence' happened after then?
PressPassP
3/16/2015 8:59pm
Wonder what sort of lock down they had on Lechien over there
I think I read somewhere that the plane journeys got a bit loose

The Shop

Bearuno
3/17/2015 5:34am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2015 4:27pm
Check on robkinuk (probably wrong name on my part), a poster here's details - you'll find a link to an article covering Rob Andrews involvement as a member of the UK team that year, Although, I may have that wrong and Rob Andrews himself may post here, and he has links to his own site / various mag articles / bike tests he did. He did pretty well riding a second hand KX125. Thorpe went 1,1,2 in the three motos that year - Kees Van Der Ven getting the one moto he didn't win.

No tilled / ripped / rotovated track - and most of the time spent was spent on the ground. That hard, slick surface, required real throttle control, especially on a 500. Yet, most now, would call that track a POS. Sad indeed - we need that sort of course, back, I feel.
husky125
3/17/2015 5:46am
I agree about the track Bearuno, how about the skill of Lechien making that inside line stick coming down the hill? Smooth.
Everts72
3/18/2015 6:50am
Bearuno wrote:
Check on robkinuk (probably wrong name on my part), a poster here's details - you'll find a link to an article covering Rob Andrews involvement as...
Check on robkinuk (probably wrong name on my part), a poster here's details - you'll find a link to an article covering Rob Andrews involvement as a member of the UK team that year, Although, I may have that wrong and Rob Andrews himself may post here, and he has links to his own site / various mag articles / bike tests he did. He did pretty well riding a second hand KX125. Thorpe went 1,1,2 in the three motos that year - Kees Van Der Ven getting the one moto he didn't win.

No tilled / ripped / rotovated track - and most of the time spent was spent on the ground. That hard, slick surface, required real throttle control, especially on a 500. Yet, most now, would call that track a POS. Sad indeed - we need that sort of course, back, I feel.
Dave Thorpe, quoted by the American press as being 'The worst 500cc world champ ever' handing the golden boys of US motocross their arses.
Jefro98
3/18/2015 7:05am
Bearuno wrote:
Check on robkinuk (probably wrong name on my part), a poster here's details - you'll find a link to an article covering Rob Andrews involvement as...

Same track Roczen became MX2 worldchampion in 2011.
Track looks a bit different tho, opposite direction.

https://youtu.be/RF7s_qS-_QU
Randy Savage
3/18/2015 7:21am
Everts72 wrote:
Dave Thorpe, quoted by the American press as being 'The worst 500cc world champ ever' handing the golden boys of US motocross their arses.
Gosh with that dominating performance, and the awesomeness of Robgvx Andrews to boot, certainly the Brits won the trophy that year at the MXdN, right?
Uncle Tony
3/18/2015 8:21am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 8:22am
Bearuno wrote:

Everts72 wrote:
I believe it was the worlds fastest novice, because of his style on the bike
PressPassP
3/18/2015 8:25am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 8:26am
Everts72 wrote:
Gosh with that dominating performance, and the awesomeness of Robgvx Andrews to boot, certainly the Brits won the trophy that year at the MXdN, right?
Who said it was dominating? With Kurt Nicholl having 2 dnf's I wouldn't say that,Rob did well though,he got 3rd in class on a stocker
3/18/2015 9:14am
Everts72 wrote:
I always hated the lack of respect that MXA gave to Thorpe. It wasnt "the american press" that slagged Thorpe, it was Jody Weisel. MXA also called Thorpe a "spode" numerous times. Any American not named 'Jody Weisel' knew that Dave Thorpe was a legit champ. Thorpe and Jobe were my heroes as a young kid.
3/18/2015 9:16am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 9:17am
I was always a Rob Andrews fan.as well. The Brits had class in those days (and nowadays generally), even when the American riders made them look bad. To be fair, those days are long gone to an extent.
edub
3/18/2015 9:16am
Visited the event. Really a great weekend. Until now, my only MXDN visit

Still remember Ron Lechien at that day. He was really killing it on his 125 and
faster as almost all 500cc except Thorpe
Never saw somenbody on a 125 as fast as The Dogger
Hut
3/18/2015 9:31am
In that era it was very easy to spot the Americans on the track due to their style of riding. 'nuff said
Tbteam
3/18/2015 12:23pm
I know first hand the great amount of respect that David Bailey AND Johnny O'mara have for Thorpe. It was David, RJ and Johnny, of course, who caused Jodi to make such an asinine remark a year later (mostly Johnny's ride on the 125)
Robgvx
3/18/2015 12:31pm
PressPassP wrote:
Who said it was dominating? With Kurt Nicholl having 2 dnf's I wouldn't say that,Rob did well though,he got 3rd in class on a stocker
David won the overall. Kurt broke his leg on Saturday. GB came fifth with two riders.

Post a reply to: 1985 MXDN race

The Latest