19" vs 18" rear

IWreckALot
7/22/2014 7:44am
You're going to switch back to the 18" for the woods? I thought the 19" would be better for the woods.
RPM68
7/22/2014 7:48am
IWreckALot wrote:
You're going to switch back to the 18" for the woods? I thought the 19" would be better for the woods.
nah the 18" comes stock on it, and flex's a little more, and makes it more cushiony for roots.
agn5009
7/22/2014 8:01am
IWreckALot wrote:
18" in the woods all the way. But yeah, first time I switched back from an 18 to 19 I wad amazed too. It's the little things that really baffle us sometimes!
IWreckALot
7/22/2014 8:05am
Hmm. Just out of curiosity, why 18"? I'm converting mountain bike logic to woods racing. It's much more comfortable to go over roots and rocks on the 29 than a 26. Are you weaving through more trees or does that not translate from a mtn bike to a dirt bike?

The Shop

Ebs
7/22/2014 8:10am
I would still think the 18" has better straight line traction, but the 19" would handle way better, and is lighter.
MtnBoy
7/22/2014 8:13am
IWreckALot wrote:
Hmm. Just out of curiosity, why 18"? I'm converting mountain bike logic to woods racing. It's much more comfortable to go over roots and rocks on...
Hmm. Just out of curiosity, why 18"? I'm converting mountain bike logic to woods racing. It's much more comfortable to go over roots and rocks on the 29 than a 26. Are you weaving through more trees or does that not translate from a mtn bike to a dirt bike?
19" & 18" have the same outside diameter, size refers to the wheel itself. So the 18" has a bigger sidewall with more flex.

18" is also popular for Offroad because they get less pinch flats.

I'm an 18" everywhere guy myself. But I'm also a bib mousse guy everywhere as well....I'm ok with being a little weird.
IWreckALot
7/22/2014 8:14am
MtnBoy wrote:
19" & 18" have the same outside diameter, size refers to the wheel itself. So the 18" has a bigger sidewall with more flex. 18" is...
19" & 18" have the same outside diameter, size refers to the wheel itself. So the 18" has a bigger sidewall with more flex.

I'm an 18" everywhere guy myself. But I'm also a bib mousse guy everywhere as well....I'm ok with being a little weird.
Gotcha. Makes all the sense in the world now.
newmann
7/22/2014 8:52am
Needs a 17" rear ala Husqvarna and a 23 " front with a Claw Action tire courtesy of Honda.Smile
peelout
7/22/2014 8:59am
IWreckALot wrote:
Hmm. Just out of curiosity, why 18"? I'm converting mountain bike logic to woods racing. It's much more comfortable to go over roots and rocks on...
MtnBoy wrote:
19" & 18" have the same outside diameter, size refers to the wheel itself. So the 18" has a bigger sidewall with more flex. 18" is...

haven't tried the BiB setup yet but think i will when my current Bridgestone Ultra Heavy gets a flat. those tubes coupled with the extra sidewall are virtually impossible to flat, unless it's a nail. picked up 2 nails on my favorite multi-use trail a couple weeks ago. people are dicks.

when i bought my bike is was still way into moto and i was thinking about getting a small tank and 19" wheel. but after owning it and switching solely to offroad i have ditched that idea. my bike rips on the moto track as it is.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
7/22/2014 9:26am
Peelout, you'll like the bib set up. It does take a little bit to get used to, as the tires do not have the same feel as a conventional tube. I've noticed that line selection in the rough stuff isn't near as important with a bib since the bib cannot be flattened.

They are a little bit harder to mount than even the ultra heavy tubes, but not terrible with the right tools.

Best of all, no more flats due to nails!
TeamGreen
7/22/2014 10:05am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 10:09am
Peelout, you'll like the bib set up. It does take a little bit to get used to, as the tires do not have the same feel...
Peelout, you'll like the bib set up. It does take a little bit to get used to, as the tires do not have the same feel as a conventional tube. I've noticed that line selection in the rough stuff isn't near as important with a bib since the bib cannot be flattened.

They are a little bit harder to mount than even the ultra heavy tubes, but not terrible with the right tools.

Yup

Peely, I just saw a Baja-By-Law that said: "Don't come back without Bibs".

I'm jus' sayin'...

Btw, #bajabeachbash2014
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
7/22/2014 10:10am
newmann wrote:
Needs a 17" rear ala Husqvarna and a 23 " front with a Claw Action tire courtesy of Honda.Smile
Nice, not many can pull those type of references out. Cool
The Rock
7/22/2014 10:30am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 10:31am
Forgot the bibs go with something WAY more advanced plus you can adjust the tire pressure with Nuetech Both the Stealth 450 and the Stealth Pro 250 were Nuetech equipped and I could tell a difference big time when I lowered the tire pressure down to around ten pounds in the back....yes ten PSI. For woods riding you can go 2 to 3 PSI less!

Once you mount the Nuetech 2.0 tire changes in the future are much easier as well.
peelout
7/22/2014 11:13am
Peelout, you'll like the bib set up. It does take a little bit to get used to, as the tires do not have the same feel...

TeamGreen wrote:
Yup

Peely, I just saw a Baja-By-Law that said: "Don't come back without Bibs".

I'm jus' sayin'...

Btw, #bajabeachbash2014
i got two rear flats from nails on Day 6 this year... no fun changing a tire in the middle of the fuckin' desert with no shade in 103 degree weather.

my next trip i'll have a Bib setup for sure
7/22/2014 11:59am
newmann wrote:
Can you still find 17 inch Trelleborgs?
tprice07
7/22/2014 7:24pm
I have an 18 in rear, mainly because I found a deal on some excel/talos with new tires for $400 shipped in mint condition. That being said, I ride dry hard packed tracks and can tell very little difference honestly. One thing to consider is a lot of shops have limited selection for tires in stock for 18 in rear.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
7/22/2014 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 9:41pm
The Rock wrote:
Forgot the bibs go with something WAY more advanced plus you can adjust the tire pressure with [url=http://nuetech.com/]Nuetech[/url] Both the Stealth 450 and the Stealth Pro...
Forgot the bibs go with something WAY more advanced plus you can adjust the tire pressure with Nuetech Both the Stealth 450 and the Stealth Pro 250 were Nuetech equipped and I could tell a difference big time when I lowered the tire pressure down to around ten pounds in the back....yes ten PSI. For woods riding you can go 2 to 3 PSI less!

Once you mount the Nuetech 2.0 tire changes in the future are much easier as well.
Still has a chance to flat, which is not something I liked to risk.

That being said, Nuetech does have a cool product, but it doesn't resist puncture damage from a nail/thorn like a bib does. Being able to adjust the PSI would be nice, but honestly a bib has a pretty good feel for a while.
enketchum
7/22/2014 9:40pm
What tires are made in 18 still?
mxdude105
7/23/2014 5:19am
IWreckALot wrote:
MtnBoy wrote:

peelout wrote:
haven't tried the BiB setup yet but think i will when my current Bridgestone Ultra Heavy gets a flat. those tubes coupled with the extra sidewall...
haven't tried the BiB setup yet but think i will when my current Bridgestone Ultra Heavy gets a flat. those tubes coupled with the extra sidewall are virtually impossible to flat, unless it's a nail. picked up 2 nails on my favorite multi-use trail a couple weeks ago. people are dicks.

when i bought my bike is was still way into moto and i was thinking about getting a small tank and 19" wheel. but after owning it and switching solely to offroad i have ditched that idea. my bike rips on the moto track as it is.
There's a fire road near my house that we take to get to an old rock quarry that we ride at. Kept getting flats on the fire road and couldn't figure out why. Turns out one of the locals was dumping screws, nails and other sharp things into the gravel near where the road narrows over a RR crossing. Asshole must owe me at least a dozen tubes.
TX24
7/23/2014 5:48am
Another good thing about Nuetech, if you get a puncture you can plug it or just ride it out. The tire usually won't come off the rim.

Also makes tire changing easier, if you were never good at it.
Ebs
7/23/2014 6:09am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 6:10am
What ever happened to the bib style insert that was hollowed out for a small tube allowing for pressure changes? Are those still around? Did they work well?
OldYZRider1
7/23/2014 6:14am
Still has a chance to flat, which is not something I liked to risk. That being said, Nuetech does have a cool product, but it doesn't...
Still has a chance to flat, which is not something I liked to risk.

That being said, Nuetech does have a cool product, but it doesn't resist puncture damage from a nail/thorn like a bib does. Being able to adjust the PSI would be nice, but honestly a bib has a pretty good feel for a while.
I changed over my 200XC from its 18" and liked the difference. I also run a Tubliss system in the rear.

Nuetech Tubliss works pretty good and is lightweight.. They claim you can just pull a plug into the tire if you get a flat without having to break it down. I don't see why that wouldn't work but I've never tried it. You do have to rely on the tire carcass itself to be fairly air tight to properly hold air.

Due to the tires porosity it'll leak down some (even overnight) so you really need to check air pressure (two chambers) every time you ride. I imagine if your running very low tire pressures (like you might for off road use) it may break the tire carcass down quicker and leak worse such that you may need to replace your tires sooner. I tried mounting a used tire with mine when I got it and it wouldn't hold air very well. I mounted a new tire and it was fine. Some tires may work better than others too. I've noticed due to its reduced weight and less inertia the rear wheel will "spin up" a little quicker on my 200; gets the dirt shooting off my tire soonerSmile

Post a reply to: 19" vs 18" rear

The Latest