17' Honda CRF450R - Review after a few rides...

ginger969
|
Justin345
12/27/2016 6:00pm
Great write up, thanks for taking the time to put it together. My Honda buddies have been drooling over info on the new model so I'll point them to this thread.

I have one comment - that dirt looks absolutely amazing!
TeamGreen
12/27/2016 6:00pm
I concur with everything but the fork: the Yamaha dives less and provides a little bit better "tracking" in the rough. In-fact, for me, the Yamaha provides better "fast-laps" than the Honda. What I like best about the Honda is that it feels "easy". It's a lot like the Husky in that it's just easy to ride around the track.

When we rode the RX a few weeks later, I actually liked it better than the R. Doh!

Manny
Moto810
12/27/2016 6:18pm
Thanks for the info! Nice work.
ginger969
12/27/2016 8:14pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I concur with everything but the fork: the Yamaha dives less and provides a little bit better "tracking" in the rough. In-fact, for me, the Yamaha...
I concur with everything but the fork: the Yamaha dives less and provides a little bit better "tracking" in the rough. In-fact, for me, the Yamaha provides better "fast-laps" than the Honda. What I like best about the Honda is that it feels "easy". It's a lot like the Husky in that it's just easy to ride around the track.

When we rode the RX a few weeks later, I actually liked it better than the R. Doh!

Manny
Did you play with the compression clicks because I was experiencing the same diving feeling a bit under heavy braking sections and one click in the compression made all the difference for me

The Shop

TeamGreen
12/27/2016 8:23pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I concur with everything but the fork: the Yamaha dives less and provides a little bit better "tracking" in the rough. In-fact, for me, the Yamaha...

Manny
ginger969 wrote:
Did you play with the compression clicks because I was experiencing the same diving feeling a bit under heavy braking sections and one click in the...
Did you play with the compression clicks because I was experiencing the same diving feeling a bit under heavy braking sections and one click in the compression made all the difference for me
When I added compression I lost the silky-smooth feel I'm the small-chatter. I dropped the rear-end a little bit for the best result...and added a little rear-rebound as you mentioned.
ginger969
12/27/2016 8:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Manny
ginger969 wrote:
Did you play with the compression clicks because I was experiencing the same diving feeling a bit under heavy braking sections and one click in the...
TeamGreen wrote:
When I added compression I lost the silky-smooth feel I'm the small-chatter. I dropped the rear-end a little bit for the best result...and added a little...
When I added compression I lost the silky-smooth feel I'm the small-chatter. I dropped the rear-end a little bit for the best result...and added a little rear-rebound as you mentioned.
Aww gotcha, yeah I could see that potentially too! I'll be on a more tacky track again Thursday to see the small chatter feedback too Smile
GPrider
12/27/2016 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 8:31pm
keep in mind this is 'stock' settings. If it is one click away from making everyone happy, just imagine what a little valving or spring change can do?

oh wait, I forgot. It's going to blow up anyway, haha
ginger969
12/27/2016 8:35pm
GPrider wrote:
keep in mind this is 'stock' settings. If it is one click away from making everyone happy, just imagine what a little valving or spring change...
keep in mind this is 'stock' settings. If it is one click away from making everyone happy, just imagine what a little valving or spring change can do?

oh wait, I forgot. It's going to blow up anyway, haha
Noooo don't jinx it hahaha
jeffro503
12/27/2016 8:45pm
Haven't read your full report Kawi. But besides that , how you digging Idaho? Boise is one cool town. Always liked it there.
ginger969
12/27/2016 8:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Haven't read your full report Kawi. But besides that , how you digging Idaho? Boise is one cool town. Always liked it there.
It's been epic man! It's crazy how big the differences are when I visit San Jose again ha recently I was down south in Temecula and that was pretty rad too!
rcarrico
12/27/2016 11:16pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ginger969 wrote:
It's been epic man! It's crazy how big the differences are when I visit San Jose again ha recently I was down south in Temecula and...
It's been epic man! It's crazy how big the differences are when I visit San Jose again ha recently I was down south in Temecula and that was pretty rad too!
Enjoying the above normal snow we're having this year in the Boise area?
Presley155
12/28/2016 8:27am
@kawi008 thanks for the write up. What sag did you run? And you only went one click on the compression? Everything else you left stock? I am exactly your weight and intermediate speed as well. Curious about a good starting point on this bike.
mxb2
12/28/2016 8:49am
Good review, thanks.
ginger969
12/28/2016 8:55am
Presley155 wrote:
@kawi008 thanks for the write up. What sag did you run? And you only went one click on the compression? Everything else you left stock? I...
@kawi008 thanks for the write up. What sag did you run? And you only went one click on the compression? Everything else you left stock? I am exactly your weight and intermediate speed as well. Curious about a good starting point on this bike.
The bike Sag was at 104 when I measured it and I left it there, the compression adjustment was just one click harder which alleviated the dive feel
12/28/2016 10:42am
Dude, what an outstanding write up. Thanks for sharing!

When my ACL heals up to 100% I'm heading to Zaca, it looks incredible this year.
ginger969
12/28/2016 1:13pm
Dude, what an outstanding write up. Thanks for sharing!

When my ACL heals up to 100% I'm heading to Zaca, it looks incredible this year.
thanks man! heal up!!!
kkawboy14
12/28/2016 4:52pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Manny
Small bikes that feel like a BMx bike turn easy

Post a reply to: 17' Honda CRF450R - Review after a few rides...

The Latest