15 CRF 450 Ride reports

Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 3:27pm
I dont know if this is already discussed, but i'm looking for some solid opinions on the new Honda 450..Comparisons to the 14 model, to other 450's, personal feeling's, hard data ect...
Very interested in the new bike and trying to decide weather or not to keep or trade my 14 crf. .
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/28/2014 7:34am
Here's our First Impressions of the CRF450R from their intro at Zaca Station.

2015 Honda CRF450R
steed 2.0
10/28/2014 7:53am
ML512 wrote:
Here's our First Impressions of the CRF450R from their intro at Zaca Station. [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/First-Impressions-Riding-the-2015-Honda-CRF450R,10990/ML512,13480]2015 Honda CRF450R[/url]
Here's our First Impressions of the CRF450R from their intro at Zaca Station.

2015 Honda CRF450R
what's up with that Krautrock Wink
gpracer36
10/28/2014 7:54am
Will test mine this weekend. I swapped out the air forks for a set of showa spring forks, also had the shock lowered to bring a less front biased feel. A few other tweaks. Setting it up as a gran prix/off road bike, so also added a GP stablizer. First race should be day in the dirt at glen helen.
Frailey46
10/28/2014 10:20am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 10:24am
Copy/Paste from my post @ TT.

So I finished with my first ride today. Rode probably about 2 hours. This is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. Coming off of a 2014 KTM 350. Last Honda I had was a mid 90's CR. From then on it was all Yamahas. The bike turns like nothing else. You can rail the outside, you can pivot, you can cut out and across lines, everything. It feels crazy light. Even compared to the 350. Though, lifting it onto the stand seems to tell a different story. Must be from all the lowering of where the weight is that Honda is doing.

The motor is strong but so easy to ride. You can ride it however you want. The maps are interesting. Map 2 (Mellow) is noticeably smoother. It's a little weird because I found myself almost blowing a couple of corners because I was actually going a little faster than I had anticipated. It feels really mellow but hooks up. Map 3 (Aggressive) isn't too far off of the stock map. Maybe just a tad barkier. Would be great in tracks where they mix a lot of sand and sawdust in. I liked the stock map the best.

I rode with the forks setup to stock settings and 35PSI. I had no complaints. I'm still getting used to the feel of the geometry of the bike so I don't know yet what I would do to make them any better at this point. I honestly didn't think they felt weird or anything. This is the first air fork I've ever ridden with and I didn't notice anything weird. It was very predictable. The shock was also very good. No complains, though I think it this is where I am probably going to start adjusting first.

I think what I liked the most was the ergo's. I always felt like I was forward and attacking. The KTMs were like the complete opposite to me. That front brake is awesome. Rivals the KTM. Rear brake felt a bit vague in comparison though. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

This is a very confidence inspiring bike.

My only complaint... Now my white boots and white parts of my plastic where I grip with my knees are covered in aluminum dust..

EDIT:

I will add that I am a 5'9" 175lb Vet B rider. My test ride was all MX.

The Shop

10/28/2014 12:27pm
Frailey46 wrote:
Copy/Paste from my post @ TT. So I finished with my first ride today. Rode probably about 2 hours. This is hands down the best bike...
Copy/Paste from my post @ TT.

So I finished with my first ride today. Rode probably about 2 hours. This is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. Coming off of a 2014 KTM 350. Last Honda I had was a mid 90's CR. From then on it was all Yamahas. The bike turns like nothing else. You can rail the outside, you can pivot, you can cut out and across lines, everything. It feels crazy light. Even compared to the 350. Though, lifting it onto the stand seems to tell a different story. Must be from all the lowering of where the weight is that Honda is doing.

The motor is strong but so easy to ride. You can ride it however you want. The maps are interesting. Map 2 (Mellow) is noticeably smoother. It's a little weird because I found myself almost blowing a couple of corners because I was actually going a little faster than I had anticipated. It feels really mellow but hooks up. Map 3 (Aggressive) isn't too far off of the stock map. Maybe just a tad barkier. Would be great in tracks where they mix a lot of sand and sawdust in. I liked the stock map the best.

I rode with the forks setup to stock settings and 35PSI. I had no complaints. I'm still getting used to the feel of the geometry of the bike so I don't know yet what I would do to make them any better at this point. I honestly didn't think they felt weird or anything. This is the first air fork I've ever ridden with and I didn't notice anything weird. It was very predictable. The shock was also very good. No complains, though I think it this is where I am probably going to start adjusting first.

I think what I liked the most was the ergo's. I always felt like I was forward and attacking. The KTMs were like the complete opposite to me. That front brake is awesome. Rivals the KTM. Rear brake felt a bit vague in comparison though. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

This is a very confidence inspiring bike.

My only complaint... Now my white boots and white parts of my plastic where I grip with my knees are covered in aluminum dust..

EDIT:

I will add that I am a 5'9" 175lb Vet B rider. My test ride was all MX.
Great reply man. Thanks, and if ya dont mind, give us another report after a little more time on the bike. I really like my 14, so i'm sure the 15 is pretty darn effective..
kiwifan
10/28/2014 1:59pm
My '15 arrived last week, she is pretty awesome. I came off a '14 so I can tell you its a lot better (the '15). I havent got any setup tips as yet, but the Honda's do like more rear sag than what most think is normal i.e. over 105mm. Mapping wise the stock setting is good, mellow setting is perfect for a slippery track and aggressive setting would be good for loamier/sand tracks (I havent ridden on a loamier/sandy track yet). Given you can change/create maps then thats a great thing too.

Power wise, this will never be a HP king against other stock bikes, but its around the middle of the bunch, not last like it usually is. I have ordered some aftermarket pipes (sorry Vitards, I love the twin pipe look) so cant wait for them to arrive, I could use the '14's but I have pre-sold my '14 with them.
Daystar99
10/28/2014 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 4:26pm
I dont know if this is already discussed, but i'm looking for some solid opinions on the new Honda 450..Comparisons to the 14 model, to other...
I dont know if this is already discussed, but i'm looking for some solid opinions on the new Honda 450..Comparisons to the 14 model, to other 450's, personal feeling's, hard data ect...
Very interested in the new bike and trying to decide weather or not to keep or trade my 14 crf. .
IMHO: Compared to the '14 (and '13 for that matter) there are two main differences: the motor and the suspension. The motor is quite a bit stronger thru the midrange and is still pulling when you would have had to shift the '14 or '13. The mapping options are pretty cool as well though I mainly stay in the stock one.
The suspension, IMO, is a little better comparing stock to stock. It's just that the '14 suspension could be made SO GOOD. I'm struggling a little with getting it dialed for me in high speed chop by experimenting with the ability to change the high speed compression and rebound damping on the forks which I've never seen before. Factory Connection is still working on their specs or at least was last week. I suspect that pretty soon it will be possible to make this suspension even better that the '14 stuff.
My only gripe is that the fork seals are still short lived - I had to replace my first leaker at 7 hours. I know these bikes are expensive and take a little effort to maintain but DAMN they work well.
kiwifan
10/28/2014 5:01pm
I dont know if this is already discussed, but i'm looking for some solid opinions on the new Honda 450..Comparisons to the 14 model, to other...
Daystar99 wrote:
IMHO: Compared to the '14 (and '13 for that matter) there are two main differences: the motor and the suspension. The motor is quite a bit...
IMHO: Compared to the '14 (and '13 for that matter) there are two main differences: the motor and the suspension. The motor is quite a bit stronger thru the midrange and is still pulling when you would have had to shift the '14 or '13. The mapping options are pretty cool as well though I mainly stay in the stock one.
The suspension, IMO, is a little better comparing stock to stock. It's just that the '14 suspension could be made SO GOOD. I'm struggling a little with getting it dialed for me in high speed chop by experimenting with the ability to change the high speed compression and rebound damping on the forks which I've never seen before. Factory Connection is still working on their specs or at least was last week. I suspect that pretty soon it will be possible to make this suspension even better that the '14 stuff.
My only gripe is that the fork seals are still short lived - I had to replace my first leaker at 7 hours. I know these bikes are expensive and take a little effort to maintain but DAMN they work well.
Interesting point about the seals, I will keep an eye on mine, after around 9hrs they havent leaked yet...*touch wood*
gpracer36
10/28/2014 5:21pm
Daystar99 wrote:
IMHO: Compared to the '14 (and '13 for that matter) there are two main differences: the motor and the suspension. The motor is quite a bit...
hi speed chop is exactly why I switched to spring forks. That and the front feels more planted in those conditions. Give them a couple more years and they will have better settings. Right now everyone is chasing after something that will work one day in certain conditions but not the next. That's the problem. Springs work the same everyday, don't change with the weather so to speak.
Crush
10/28/2014 5:25pm
Any of you blokes think it is better than the 12?
10/28/2014 5:36pm
My buddy just got one, and hes not to happy with it, so anyone looking might be unloading it. He came off suzukis n said its really down on power compared to his stock 14 rmz. Hes a die hard honda guy who went yellow after dealing with the 12/13 crfs, im dieing to ride it to get an opinion for myself. Looked at one at the dealer n they definitly are sexy!
Crush
10/28/2014 5:38pm
My buddy just got one, and hes not to happy with it, so anyone looking might be unloading it. He came off suzukis n said its...
My buddy just got one, and hes not to happy with it, so anyone looking might be unloading it. He came off suzukis n said its really down on power compared to his stock 14 rmz. Hes a die hard honda guy who went yellow after dealing with the 12/13 crfs, im dieing to ride it to get an opinion for myself. Looked at one at the dealer n they definitly are sexy!
haha... You and your mates are always buying selling!

Have you had any luck moving the FE yet?
Daystar99
10/28/2014 5:41pm
Daystar99 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Interesting point about the seals, I will keep an eye on mine, after around 9hrs they havent leaked yet...*touch wood*
I know the Honda manual has some occasionally silly stuff in it (like 15 hours between motor oil changes) but I did notice that they said to change the fork oil after the first 3 hours of riding. I took my forks completely apart and cleaned them when I changed the seals and was surprised at how dirty the oil was. Just something you might keep in mind if you continue to get lucky on seal life.
10/28/2014 5:46pm
Crush u aint kidding lol. No, havent really been trying. Where i live is kinda the "mecca" of riding in nj. So i get to ride alotta diffrent bikes n try alotta diffrent set ups. I just road a 14 rmz450 with just suspension done by pr2 and it was flat out amazing!!!
Crush
10/28/2014 5:52pm
Yeah they handle pretty unreal hey. Coming off my 300 a few years ago I couldn't believe how they just stuck to the ground, fucking ridiculous! Haven't compared to my 350 but I'm happy with it anyways... Just waiting on you to sell me your ohlins for a nickel! Whistling
kiwifan
10/28/2014 6:44pm
Daystar99 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Daystar99 wrote:
I know the Honda manual has some occasionally silly stuff in it (like 15 hours between motor oil changes) but I did notice that they said...
I know the Honda manual has some occasionally silly stuff in it (like 15 hours between motor oil changes) but I did notice that they said to change the fork oil after the first 3 hours of riding. I took my forks completely apart and cleaned them when I changed the seals and was surprised at how dirty the oil was. Just something you might keep in mind if you continue to get lucky on seal life.
Good call, thanks !
kiwifan
10/28/2014 6:48pm
My buddy just got one, and hes not to happy with it, so anyone looking might be unloading it. He came off suzukis n said its...
Really? I rode the '15 RMZ and the '15 Honda and I thought they were both VERY similar in power and the '14 Zook and '15 zook are the same engine wise arent they??....
10/28/2014 7:26pm
Kiwi, i dont think the rmz has changed much at all, i havent road the honda, hes an expert level mxer n just said he didnt like it at all. Im trying to steal it from him lol, i can make it fast n pretty lol.
kiwifan
10/29/2014 12:47pm
Kiwi, i dont think the rmz has changed much at all, i havent road the honda, hes an expert level mxer n just said he didnt...
Kiwi, i dont think the rmz has changed much at all, i havent road the honda, hes an expert level mxer n just said he didnt like it at all. Im trying to steal it from him lol, i can make it fast n pretty lol.
ok well everyone has their own preference :-)
Getndome
10/29/2014 2:31pm
Replace the fork seals with the Kawasaki ones I relaced the first set on my 13 and never had a problem since and it's going on two years. They said Honda didn't bother to make a new fork seal for the air forks so it's the same one they used in the spring forks. But Kawasaki did make a different one and it works
11/5/2014 3:27pm
kiwifan wrote:
My '15 arrived last week, she is pretty awesome. I came off a '14 so I can tell you its a lot better (the '15). I...
My '15 arrived last week, she is pretty awesome. I came off a '14 so I can tell you its a lot better (the '15). I havent got any setup tips as yet, but the Honda's do like more rear sag than what most think is normal i.e. over 105mm. Mapping wise the stock setting is good, mellow setting is perfect for a slippery track and aggressive setting would be good for loamier/sand tracks (I havent ridden on a loamier/sandy track yet). Given you can change/create maps then thats a great thing too.

Power wise, this will never be a HP king against other stock bikes, but its around the middle of the bunch, not last like it usually is. I have ordered some aftermarket pipes (sorry Vitards, I love the twin pipe look) so cant wait for them to arrive, I could use the '14's but I have pre-sold my '14 with them.
Yeah I run 110-115 on my 14, and it feels nicely balanced and level front to back.

Post a reply to: 15 CRF 450 Ride reports

The Latest