125 two stroke video

jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
11/23/2009 11:57am
Nice racing there, the track look fun as well.....
Blake
11/23/2009 12:09pm
2 stroke smoke. Yum. I miss Bubba on the 125.
DC
11/23/2009 12:15pm
Wow, I was at that race! It was the week after Hawkstone Park, where Trampas got the overall with a 4-2. It was on a Saturday (I think all pro sports are on Saturday in Ireland) and I think Puzar won the overall.

I was also at Kilinchy in '87 when John Van den Berk won. it was the first time I ever saw JMB in person. Cool track, really hard-packed and slick.

DC
MX Sports
mccread
11/23/2009 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:05pm
Yes Davey I thought I remembered you telling me you were at a couple of them. Sadly that track was sold for housing development- so never got to ride it! Yea we have Sat races here in the North.Hard to believe Everts raced there in 1990 and 1991, I was at the 91 race but dont remember much except Morrison went down in the first corner and got hurt, I do remember seeing the late great Donny Schmit win in 1992 against Herring Puzar and Bobby Moore

I would to love see the GP and US guys like Bubba and co race round a grassy field like that these days!

The Shop

DC
11/23/2009 1:04pm
So would I... I remember getting there in '89 two days before the race -- I had stayed over at Dobb's house in Derbyshire earlier in the week between Hawkstone and Kilinchy because Parker was also staying there, and I was doing a profile on him for Dirt Rider -- and when we got there they were just ribboning it all off in a grassy field with a few jumps!

True story: in '87, my sister and I flew in to Shannon on the west coast and did not realize how far across Ireland and Northern Ireland the drive was. Nor did we realize the race was on Saturday! I panicked because I was supposed to be covering it for Cycle News. We missed much of the first moto, and I did my best shooting photos in the second moto, but I really didn't have much to work off of as far as what all happened. Later, when we went back to the hotel room that night, the 125 GP aired on BBC TV. I was blown away! I ended up covering it for Cycle News by watching it on TV, writing down notes while drinking beer with my sister. Good times!

One funny thing: Watching the guys in these videos hit the jumps and just launching just seems so ancient now. That was only two decades ago, but no one had any idea what a scrub could do, so they just pinned it. Now every kid at Loretta Lynn's (and probably the Red Bull Nationals over there) scrubs off every jump.

DC
MX Sports

mccread
11/23/2009 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:05pm
ha ha that's a good story!

yea they just overjumped the table top... etc , I'm sure if those guys were growing up now they could scrub with the best of them though. In 20 years everything has changed bikes and styles pretty crazy!

I bet if you out those guys on that track now with with the current racers they would show them a thing or too about throttle control and line selection there was always punctures at that place. , the techniques needed then aren't really needed now with mordern tracks - Different techniques for different eras!

Yea they were usually on TV back then, BBC NI didn't air the recent GPs we had in 2005/6, it is very hard to get them interested now even in the Irish motocross .championships now
DC
11/23/2009 1:54pm
I have no date yesterday's guys could teach today's a thing or too about throttle control, line selection, and being in shape -- those races were still 40 + 2 back then!

Thanks for sharing the videos from that race, that's pretty cool to see again after 20 years.
DC
MX Sports

Post a reply to: 125 two stroke video

The Latest