125 production models ARE coming back, and awkwardly, Luongo will be the one to thank.

Fearo
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 12:53am
Some thread title, amirite Cool

After years of being ignored as much as possible by every manyfacturer other than Yamaha and KTM, it seems the wheels are finally turning on the return of the 125 production bikes.

Why now all of a sudden, do you ask? Well, a major factor is the EMX125 series that has become the perfect feeder series to the GP teams. At this point, you are nobody (in Europe) of you haven't shown yourself on a 125. This, coupled with the fact that pretty much every domestic youth/junior championship in Europe is now 125 only, has become a major problem for Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda.

Why? Because it has become impossible for them to sign talent at a young enough age and groom them for GP racing. 75% procent of 85 and 125cc racers in Europe are on KTMs/husky's, 20% on Yamaha's and 5% on something else (mostly TMs). That means KTM has total control over pretty much the entire crop of European talent. Best example is Jorge prado, who was signed by KTM straight out of the 85 class and is now en route to becoming their next star.

The first response is coming from Yamaha, who will start their 'YZ125 challengers cup'. A brand new series that will have the winner on a factory YZ125 for the 2017 season. They have also started to give factory support to David Phillipaerts team, who will have 2 riders on factory 125s.

Kawasaki and Suzuki... Rumours of a new KX125 are growing stronger and Everts has hinted that 2018 will be the year for a new RM125.

Honda will probably remain as stubborn and braindead as they are and miss this boat completely. (150F fuck yeah)

I hope a lot of people get a good belly chuckle out of this post and write "there will never a new 2-stroke from a Japanese manufacturer". Well let me tell you, while I have no idea about the evolution of 250 2-strokes, there WILL be brand new 125 2-strokes in 5 years or less. You can stamp that any way you want to.
|
Olson
12/23/2015 9:11am
Been thinking about this for a while. Very strange Brian Hsu has been so successful on the Suzuki and brought a lot of eyes to the brand but still no kids can get their hands on the bike he rides.
MotoX85
12/23/2015 9:12am
I don't care who is responsible, although I think MxSports has had a big hand in it also. I'm just glad they are doing something.
HenryA
12/23/2015 9:17am
This needs to be done:
OldYZRider1
12/23/2015 9:22am
HONDA is making large donations to the Seirra club and upsizing the "entertainment budget" for their contacts in the European emissions agencies/EPA as we speak. They'll kill this matter shortly. Evil

The Shop

12/23/2015 9:40am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 9:43am
You bring an excellent point. But one thing. You might be wrong about Honda. They'll petition to allow the CRF250R, which under FIM rules should be allowed out there, no? Fuck Honda. They are 100% parasitic to racing on the professional level.
12/23/2015 9:43am
Its interesting that they are bringing back the 125 but IMHO the real reason is the consumer dollars, at least in the U.S. the market is getting smaller and smaller so to make money they needed to bring back the 125's and hope it will revive dirt bike sales..
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
12/23/2015 9:47am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 9:47am
I like opinions based on assumptions and stated as facts
12/23/2015 10:08am
Finally Laughing its been a long time coming
125 is motocross, no better bang or buzz for your buck long live premix!
Motofinne
12/23/2015 10:19am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 10:20am
The whole EMX thing is working. And people here can hate on everything YS are doing and call them idiots but the EMX classes are brilliant. I know that Luongo does make some weird decisions and he is a bit shady but the EMX classes are very, very good.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
12/23/2015 10:19am
BRO, I just bought stock in bean oil...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/23/2015 11:39am
MotoX85 wrote:
I don't care who is responsible, although I think MxSports has had a big hand in it also. I'm just glad they are doing something.
I think MXsports was one of the reasons 125s and 2 strokes in general have been pushed away for so long and maybe now they are finally figuring it out that by doing so they have hurt MX racing. Its never too late to try to fix the problems but it may take some time to get the ball rolling again.
BobPA
12/23/2015 11:44am
Lots of speculation here

I'll believe it when I see a new yellow and green 125 on showroom floors...
Pirate421
12/23/2015 11:48am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 11:49am
Would people buy the same bikes that they ended with in 07-08? Like Suzuki did with the the RM85 and bring back the same bike with no changes? And sort of like what Yamaha is doing with not changing the chassis of the 125 and 250?
Or would kawi ad Suzuki have to make more RMZ styled and aluminum frames for the new 125? either way I'm all about it.
downard254
12/23/2015 11:48am
Swinging of the pendulum boys, swinging of the pendulum.

No matter how far out it goes, she always comes back.
RG1
12/23/2015 12:28pm
Luongo and Yourhstream get a lot of stick, and rightly so, but they deserve a lot of credit for what they have done with the European championship in my opinion. The only slight problem I have with it is that some of the guys that are riding EMX250 should be in MX2
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
12/23/2015 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 2:06pm
RG1 wrote:
Luongo and Yourhstream get a lot of stick, and rightly so, but they deserve a lot of credit for what they have done with the European...
Luongo and Yourhstream get a lot of stick, and rightly so, but they deserve a lot of credit for what they have done with the European championship in my opinion. The only slight problem I have with it is that some of the guys that are riding EMX250 should be in MX2
It's still a better system than having our top factory supported up and comers racing the B class at an amateur national......
RG1
12/23/2015 12:35pm
RG1 wrote:
Luongo and Yourhstream get a lot of stick, and rightly so, but they deserve a lot of credit for what they have done with the European...
MxKing809 wrote:
It's still a better system than having our top factory supported up and comers racing the B class at an amateur national......
I totally agree, it's great that the best up and coming riders in Europe get to showcase their talent in front of all the GP teams week in, week out
12/23/2015 12:35pm
Would be cool, but I don't think anyone could compete with the popularity of the YZ125... not even the KTM can compete currently
kiwifan
12/23/2015 12:38pm
You bring an excellent point. But one thing. You might be wrong about Honda. They'll petition to allow the CRF250R, which under FIM rules should be...
You bring an excellent point. But one thing. You might be wrong about Honda. They'll petition to allow the CRF250R, which under FIM rules should be allowed out there, no? Fuck Honda. They are 100% parasitic to racing on the professional level.
lol why don't you say what you really think about Honda? lol

And its more likely Yamaha would do this, do you not recall they petitioned AMA to allow them to race a 400cc four stroke against the 250 2 strokes and that started the whole 4 stroke revolution? And Yamaha sold 2 strokes then that were pretty good.

Honda (like the other manufactures) just followed Yamaha, yes it fitted their no 2 strokes mantra but it wasn't them that started the whole change. so if you don't like them not producing 2 strokes then blame Yamaha for starting it.

I personally don't think there will be a KX125 or RM125 but happy to be proven wrong in 2018. And I doubt there will ever be a Honda 2 stroke MX bike produced in the future, but again happy to be proven wrong.
Frodad78
12/23/2015 12:40pm
Would be cool, but I don't think anyone could compete with the popularity of the YZ125... not even the KTM can compete currently
What an exciting thought, Kawasaki and Suzuki building a 125 to compete with the YZ. It all seems like a pipedream but man it would be cool to see what they could produce.
12/23/2015 12:44pm
You bring an excellent point. But one thing. You might be wrong about Honda. They'll petition to allow the CRF250R, which under FIM rules should be...
kiwifan wrote:
lol why don't you say what you really think about Honda? lol And its more likely Yamaha would do this, do you not recall they petitioned...

And its more likely Yamaha would do this, do you not recall they petitioned AMA to allow them to race a 400cc four stroke against the 250 2 strokes and that started the whole 4 stroke revolution? And Yamaha sold 2 strokes then that were pretty good.

Honda (like the other manufactures) just followed Yamaha, yes it fitted their no 2 strokes mantra but it wasn't them that started the whole change. so if you don't like them not producing 2 strokes then blame Yamaha for starting it.

I personally don't think there will be a KX125 or RM125 but happy to be proven wrong in 2018. And I doubt there will ever be a Honda 2 stroke MX bike produced in the future, but again happy to be proven wrong.
...the double displacement rule was in the books years before
Yamaha introduced the modern era 4 stroke..
DownSouth
12/23/2015 12:48pm
...the double displacement rule was in the books years before
Yamaha introduced the modern era 4 stroke..
Yup. And the limit was 650cc.
12/23/2015 12:54pm
Yeah they were in the open class to start with in Europe the ama let them in the 250"s first
Glad to see the resurgence of two strokes at the tracks, I've stood firm and ride for the enjoyment these days but two strokes build better riders, 250f can turn a very average rider into more haha
VET176
12/23/2015 1:07pm
kiwifan wrote:
lol why don't you say what you really think about Honda? lol And its more likely Yamaha would do this, do you not recall they petitioned...

Read your last sentence again. Therein lies the reason Honda cops so much hate.
newmann
12/23/2015 1:13pm
I would gladly pee in the shrubs at the AMA headquarters and promptly shake Luongo's hand afterwards.Laughing

No doubt Luongo has been good for the 125's. Credit where credit is due!
philG
12/23/2015 1:53pm
Olson wrote:
Been thinking about this for a while. Very strange Brian Hsu has been so successful on the Suzuki and brought a lot of eyes to the...
Been thinking about this for a while. Very strange Brian Hsu has been so successful on the Suzuki and brought a lot of eyes to the brand but still no kids can get their hands on the bike he rides.
But the whole thing with Hsu was that they had to come up with that bike, built from NOS parts as far as i know, to keep him on yellow.

The fact that all the kids now see EMX125 as a must do series, to get picked up for EMX250 puts the pressure on riders to make a comittment to a manufacturer, which is going to be Husky /KTM or Yamaha.

Hsu wasnt ready to hit a 250 F like Roczen , but they didnt want anyone else taking him on.

Honda went big bucks on Tim Gajser just because they had to stop KTM having him.
Olson
12/23/2015 2:49pm
Olson wrote:
Been thinking about this for a while. Very strange Brian Hsu has been so successful on the Suzuki and brought a lot of eyes to the...
philG wrote:
But the whole thing with Hsu was that they had to come up with that bike, built from NOS parts as far as i know, to...
But the whole thing with Hsu was that they had to come up with that bike, built from NOS parts as far as i know, to keep him on yellow.

The fact that all the kids now see EMX125 as a must do series, to get picked up for EMX250 puts the pressure on riders to make a comittment to a manufacturer, which is going to be Husky /KTM or Yamaha.

Hsu wasnt ready to hit a 250 F like Roczen , but they didnt want anyone else taking him on.

Honda went big bucks on Tim Gajser just because they had to stop KTM having him.
Yes, I know. That's what I see as a problem. They spend a lot of money to keep Hsu on the Suzuki as a future investment. If they had that bike available to the public I bet there would be a lot of kids on yellow just because of Hsu. I guess the economics department of Suzuki knows more than me about this. But it seems like a lost opportunity.
philG
12/23/2015 3:02pm
Olson wrote:
Yes, I know. That's what I see as a problem. They spend a lot of money to keep Hsu on the Suzuki as a future investment...
Yes, I know. That's what I see as a problem. They spend a lot of money to keep Hsu on the Suzuki as a future investment. If they had that bike available to the public I bet there would be a lot of kids on yellow just because of Hsu. I guess the economics department of Suzuki knows more than me about this. But it seems like a lost opportunity.
Oh yes, i agree, but at a time when they would rather design a scooter that sells 500,000 units in Asia , than do an MX bike that might do 500 worldwide, i can see their reluctance

BUT.. look at KTM , they have killed it for years, kids start on an auto , then a 65, 85 etc, by the time they get to 12 tears old they have been orange for 6 years.. they have all the gear and have bought into the whole Cairoli/Herlings thing .

Yamaha have proved that an old bike with new plastics can do the deal, Maxime Reneaux has been superb on the blue bike this year, they dont have to build anything new , just build something.

Suzuki need to something while they still can.

Post a reply to: 125 production models ARE coming back, and awkwardly, Luongo will be the one to thank.

The Latest