$1000 Bike Class

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/2/2011 5:39pm
braaap wrote:
Dude I know races cars that have a $500 price limit excluding safety items. He said it's more fun than he ever had racing "real" race...
Dude I know races cars that have a $500 price limit excluding safety items. He said it's more fun than he ever had racing "real" race cars.

And get this... to keep you honest they randomly select one car at the half way point of the race, flag them off the track and then take the car and crush it. Really, they crush it with a dozer or something!

I think it's called the 24 Hours of Lemons. Yes, it is a 24 hour long race.
Yeah, LeMons. It's like LeMans 24hrs but yeah, $500 limit on cars.

It is, BY FAR, the fastest growing form of car racing in the US right now. Their motto is "It's not just for rich idiots, but for all idiots!" Hahaha.

Just get a load of the general rules to get an idea of how much fun this must be:

1: GENERAL

1.0: WARNING: Racing is Exceedingly Taxing, both Physically and Mentally. When driving a racecar, you'll be exposed to extreme (both high and low) temperatures; to dense smoke and fumes; to intense shocks and vibration; to very loud noises; and to a variety of other unusual, exhausting, confusing, and stressful conditions. EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU'RE IN EXCELLENT HEALTH, TELL YOUR DOCTOR WHAT YOU'RE PLANNING TO DO; GET A FULL PRE-COMPETITION PHYSICAL EXAM BEFORE YOU START RACING; AND ESTABLISH A REGULAR SCHEDULE FOR RE-TESTS!
1.1: Organizers Decisions: Organizers decisions are final. If you don't like it, tough. Get your own race.
1.2: Unsafe Vehicles and/or Drivers: At Organizers' discretion, any unsafe car or driver may be removed from the event at any time.
1.3: Refunds and Compensation for Loss: There are none. Forget it. It ain't gonna happen. You get zip. Squat. Nada. Can't get your act together? Tough nuts. T-boned on Lap One? Listen to the crickets. Abducted by space aliens? Boo-hoo, L. Ron. Jay ran you over in his RV? Then you shouldn't have been...wait a minute...okay, that actually might be our fault.
1.4: Claiming Race: At the end of the competition, the Organizers--and nobody else, you lazy, better-car-wantin' bastids--may elect to purchase any vehicle from its owner(s) for $500. In other words, don't spend a lot on a cheater, cause if you do, you ain't gonna own it much longer.
1.5: Winners and Prizes: The car which that completes the most laps is the Winner on Distance. The Winner on Distance receives $1500--usually in nickels. Recipient of the highest score in the Index of Effluency--as determined by a super-secret equation including vehicle age, general hooptieness, reliability of country of origin, unlikelihood of success, and the Organizers' whim--is the Winner on Index. The Winner on Index receives $1501. Recipient of the People's Choice Award, as determined by totally unscientific, and almost certainly totally unfair, pit-side opinion and chitchat, receives $500.
1.6: Your Car May Be Destroyed at Any Time: In addition to accidents and other unfortunate boo-boos, one car may be selected by blind ballot of all teams for immediate removal and total destruction. It could be your car. It probably WILL BE your car. You'll have 30 minutes to yank out any safety items you want to rescue, and then it's toast. Them's the breaks. Don't bring it if you ain't OK with losing it.
1.7: Right of Publicity: You and your brilliant, pithy utterances may be photographed, recorded, or otherwise reproduced and re-used whenever and wherever the heck the Organizers like (including but not limited to television, internet, magazines,radio, biblical apocrypha, CinemaScope epics, and cave paintings). You won't get a penny unless somebody sees it and buys you a coffee. If you're not comfortable with that, wear a Mexican wrestler mask and/or stay home.
1.8 The People's Curse: Each team gets one People's Curse ballot
after finishing tech. Teams should return ballots by 10am Sunday or as directed at the Drivers Meetings. After the ballots are counted, all cars appearing on >10% of returned ballots get a Black Flag penalty; all cars appearing on >20% of returned ballots get a nasty but (probably) nonfatal Curse penalty; and all cars appearing on >33% of returned ballots get a totally nasty, mega-fatal, possibly frame-flattening Curse penalty.

Suns_PSD
6/3/2011 8:55am
I don't understand your goals.

Old bikes if well maintained and dialed can keep up at the local races no problem.

Maybe you could move up a class if you had a newer bike but you don't so just race w/ the guys that are going your current speed.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/3/2011 11:41am
Suns_PSD wrote:
I don't understand your goals. Old bikes if well maintained and dialed can keep up at the local races no problem. Maybe you could move up...

Old bikes if well maintained and dialed can keep up at the local races no problem.

Maybe you could move up a class if you had a newer bike but you don't so just race w/ the guys that are going your current speed.
My problem specifically for my situation is I want to race my 125 but I don't have a class where it's competitive.

It's a 1996 YZ125. It runs well and could use a 138 kit but I don't feel like putting much money into it since the tranny won't hold for much longer anyway. But right now I don't have a class I can race it in.

I'm a B class rider and there's no way I could keep up with the 250f riders in the B class. I do ok in the 450 class on my 250 two stroke because it has some modifications and the difference isn't as much between the bikes, but my 125 gets smoked by 250 four strokes.

Also, I'm not old enough to race the vet classes (25+ has way too many former A class riders on 450s to even think about racing the 125 in there).

Also, I have a friend who rides street bikes and has ridden dirt bikes in the past but won't try racing because of how expensive it is. He doesn't want to spend over $3000 on bike, gear, etc. I think he could race my 125 too and have a blast, but not racing against other riders with more experience and faster bikes.

Last, I think an endurance race like the LeMons would be a fun even to attend as well on some old clapped out bikes.
mmcmx
6/3/2011 1:24pm
Even If the bike is cheap, you can spend a shitload of ours working on it, It's your bike. I don't like the claiming rule thing.

The Shop

mmcmx
6/3/2011 1:26pm
Suns_PSD wrote:
I don't understand your goals. Old bikes if well maintained and dialed can keep up at the local races no problem. Maybe you could move up...

TriRacer27 wrote:
My problem specifically for my situation is I want to race my 125 but I don't have a class where it's competitive. It's a 1996 YZ125...
My problem specifically for my situation is I want to race my 125 but I don't have a class where it's competitive.

It's a 1996 YZ125. It runs well and could use a 138 kit but I don't feel like putting much money into it since the tranny won't hold for much longer anyway. But right now I don't have a class I can race it in.

I'm a B class rider and there's no way I could keep up with the 250f riders in the B class. I do ok in the 450 class on my 250 two stroke because it has some modifications and the difference isn't as much between the bikes, but my 125 gets smoked by 250 four strokes.

Also, I'm not old enough to race the vet classes (25+ has way too many former A class riders on 450s to even think about racing the 125 in there).

Also, I have a friend who rides street bikes and has ridden dirt bikes in the past but won't try racing because of how expensive it is. He doesn't want to spend over $3000 on bike, gear, etc. I think he could race my 125 too and have a blast, but not racing against other riders with more experience and faster bikes.

Last, I think an endurance race like the LeMons would be a fun even to attend as well on some old clapped out bikes.
Well, sounds like what you need is a 125 class. I know If there was a 125 class in my region, I'd change my 4 stroke inmediately.

Post a reply to: $1000 Bike Class

The Latest