#1 still has a chance..

calimxer91
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 4:54pm
He's gained points on many championship contenders these past two weeks.

He's really not comfortable till halfway thru a season and on a little roll as far as keeping it on two wheel s.

Maybe he'll pour it on a little but if he doesnt see a championship indoors .

Theres always out doors.Cool Take that dnf and probable podium that night s points away and hes golden right now damm it! *Positive thread*
|
Stoneface
2/21/2011 4:44pm
Hasn't he made up 16 points on the leader in the past two weeks? Was 39 points down after DNF - now 23 points down? I like Dungey. He'll keep working each week to improve his bike and riding. Somehow he'll probably have to string 3 - 4 wins together to win the series (as another poster has said). He's got the bike and skills to do it, but does he have the "streetfight" toughness that Villopoto, and seemingly Canard have?
SL91
2/21/2011 5:03pm
Somehow I think Dungey will be right in the thick of the championship race by the end of the series. Think of it this way, if he didn't have that dnf and instead finished 3rd that night (thus adding 20 pts to the -23 he has right now), he'd be tied with Stewart for 2nd! And just 3 behind Villi
calimxer91
2/21/2011 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2011 9:16pm
SL91 wrote:
Somehow I think Dungey will be right in the thick of the championship race by the end of the series. Think of it this way, if...
Somehow I think Dungey will be right in the thick of the championship race by the end of the series. Think of it this way, if he didn't have that dnf and instead finished 3rd that night (thus adding 20 pts to the -23 he has right now), he'd be tied with Stewart for 2nd! And just 3 behind Villi
level
2/21/2011 5:28pm
Yeah, if it wasn't for that DNF he would be right in there very close to the top. Bad break for him with the chain.

The Shop

raddad
2/21/2011 6:15pm
I remember the night his chain came off and i said to the buddies that i was watching the race with "its over for Ryan" and my son said, not so fast he can still win this thing.. Maybe but its going to be tough..
2/21/2011 6:23pm
Consistent, smart, fast and a outstanding character........hard to beat.....
rgmx-49
2/21/2011 6:28pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
sure hes consistent...but he doesn't have the desire and ambition that RV,JS, or even Canard have, he never wants to risk it.
raddad
2/21/2011 6:37pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
rgmx-49 wrote:
sure hes consistent...but he doesn't have the desire and ambition that RV,JS, or even Canard have, he never wants to risk it.
I'm sure that is not true, RD has been on his head several times this year and through out his career. He seems to be quite good at finding his limits though and is smart enough to know it does no good to go beyond them. I think if he has any big flaw its that he does not ride dirty..ever. If he stuffed a few people maybe the gates would open up like they do for JS or RV? Just a thought but then again he has done awfully damn good using his style and way of thinking so far!

I can tell you first hand, he has definitely got all the desire and heart anyone has, thats never been a problem.
rgmx-49
2/21/2011 6:44pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
rgmx-49 wrote:
raddad wrote:
I'm sure that is not true, RD has been on his head several times this year and through out his career. He seems to be quite...
I'm sure that is not true, RD has been on his head several times this year and through out his career. He seems to be quite good at finding his limits though and is smart enough to know it does no good to go beyond them. I think if he has any big flaw its that he does not ride dirty..ever. If he stuffed a few people maybe the gates would open up like they do for JS or RV? Just a thought but then again he has done awfully damn good using his style and way of thinking so far!

I can tell you first hand, he has definitely got all the desire and heart anyone has, thats never been a problem.
say what you want but I have been a fan of the kid a while back and he doesn't look nearly as hungry as he did last year, were he was riding hard and made mistakes.
also not riding dirty isn't a his flaw, his flaw is following other riders and not passing right away.
2/21/2011 6:48pm
raddad wrote:
I'm sure that is not true, RD has been on his head several times this year and through out his career. He seems to be quite...

Good post! RD just has to commit and take the lines away from guys like Canard. Those SX tracks are just not wide enough to race clean coming out of every corner.
raddad
rgmx-49 wrote:
raddad wrote:

rgmx-49 wrote:
say what you want but I have been a fan of the kid a while back and he doesn't look nearly as hungry as he did...
say what you want but I have been a fan of the kid a while back and he doesn't look nearly as hungry as he did last year, were he was riding hard and made mistakes.
also not riding dirty isn't a his flaw, his flaw is following other riders and not passing right away.
I think we kind of agree, when you say pass right away i say he needs to stuff a few people= the same resultSmile
txmxer
He's got a major up hill battle, but, I don't think he's out of it yet. In order to win the title, he needs to turn it up on the track and get a couple of wins. He does that and he'll be right in the thick of things.
rgmx-49
2/21/2011 6:53pm
he doesn't pass the slower riders quick enough and losses lots of time. just watch RV and JS pass others.
machine
2/21/2011 6:56pm
sans the chain incident, he's right where he should be with the talent this year, around 3rd.
Frogman
2/21/2011 9:11pm
I'd like to see him pull off a repeat
Adam43
2/21/2011 10:10pm
He's still right there. Ryan is so steady and rarely makes big mistakes, his equipment is solid too.

However, RV, Stewart, Reed, and even Canard all have his number right now. It's not time to hit the panic button yet, but if he hasn't won by Daytona he's going to have to.
Vazscep
2/21/2011 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2011 11:09pm
Of course he can still pull it off. Just gets old hearing all the same old crap about how he is less than _______ and should be sitting in the 3-5th position in the series. Yeah RV has speed and he is now in season three of the big bikes with no titles. He has crashed out two out of three times. Speed means shit when you do that. Same for Stewart.
BobbyM
2/21/2011 11:09pm
calimxer91 wrote:
He's gained points on many championship contenders these past two weeks. He's really not comfortable till halfway thru a season and on a little roll as...
He's gained points on many championship contenders these past two weeks.

He's really not comfortable till halfway thru a season and on a little roll as far as keeping it on two wheel s.

Maybe he'll pour it on a little but if he doesnt see a championship indoors .

Theres always out doors.Cool Take that dnf and probable podium that night s points away and hes golden right now damm it! *Positive thread*
quite a few have a chance...awesome year of racing so far.
Outsider
2/22/2011 12:24am
Vazscep wrote:
Of course he can still pull it off. Just gets old hearing all the same old crap about how he is less than _______ and should...
Of course he can still pull it off. Just gets old hearing all the same old crap about how he is less than _______ and should be sitting in the 3-5th position in the series. Yeah RV has speed and he is now in season three of the big bikes with no titles. He has crashed out two out of three times. Speed means shit when you do that. Same for Stewart.
When did RV crash out in 2009?
JB 19
2/22/2011 12:53am
RD has to start stuffing people and not waiting around.......but yet Josh Hansen rides dirty? Some of you guys are hilarious.

Anyway, I would say there are 5 guys in that class with a shot at the title. Best year since 1990?
burnside
2/22/2011 1:18am
If he is playing the consistency game I expect his main rival will turn out to be Reed! Be interesting to see how their rivalry develops over the season. Pretty amazing the top 4 are so tight in points after 7 races. Glad the two horse races days seem to be over!

Ryan Villopoto 146
James Stewart 143
Chad Reed 130
Trey Canard 130
Ryan Dungey 123
robkinuk
2/22/2011 4:40am
rgmx-49 wrote:
he doesn't pass the slower riders quick enough and losses lots of time. just watch RV and JS pass others.
Yeah and James is soo fast at passing them, he rear ends them like Jason Thomas!WinkLaughingLaughing

Ryan Dungey will do fine, he plays a long game!Cheerful
karnivool
2/22/2011 5:15am
Dungey might be able to just hang in there and stay close but if he wants bench racing respect, he needs to pull the trigger!

personally i don't think he cares about that like other riders do, he just stays the course...
KAWboy14
2/22/2011 6:01am
karnivool wrote:
Dungey might be able to just hang in there and stay close but if he wants bench racing respect, he needs to pull the trigger! personally...
Dungey might be able to just hang in there and stay close but if he wants bench racing respect, he needs to pull the trigger!

personally i don't think he cares about that like other riders do, he just stays the course...
i gaurantee he hates not winning!
level
2/22/2011 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2011 8:27am
He might not be as aggressive but he's riding smart and that's what he needs to do. He knows his limits. He's been doing this shit longer than any of us.
Also, there is some major competition this year and there all still in so far-Canard, RV, James, and Reed.

What Dungey needs is a holeshot and he will be good to go.
Mstock
2/22/2011 9:23am
Plenty of chances for RV, CR and JS to dns or dnf. Daytona will be Dungeys turning point.
2/22/2011 9:42am
Sounds a bit like some of you guys are confusing heart and gonads (or sanity?)...Dungey has as much or more heart than anyone...I just don't see him doing some of the hairy things Canard, JS and RV do...like that sick scrub Trey did to pass Reed.

But...its a trade off, you won't see him cart wheeling down the track either...he hasn't suffered a major injury like the other 3 have.
Outsider
2/22/2011 10:03am
Karma wrote:
Sounds a bit like some of you guys are confusing heart and gonads (or sanity?)...Dungey has as much or more heart than anyone...I just don't see...
Sounds a bit like some of you guys are confusing heart and gonads (or sanity?)...Dungey has as much or more heart than anyone...I just don't see him doing some of the hairy things Canard, JS and RV do...like that sick scrub Trey did to pass Reed.

But...its a trade off, you won't see him cart wheeling down the track either...he hasn't suffered a major injury like the other 3 have.
He's gotten a bit lucky in the past... remember last year when he hit the eject button and landed feet first?

How about the front flip while racing Pourcel?

I agree he still has a chance, although I would not be super pumped to see him win, UNLESS he started beating JS and RV... then it would be easier to be stoked about, IMO.
2/22/2011 2:15pm
Karma wrote:
Sounds a bit like some of you guys are confusing heart and gonads (or sanity?)...Dungey has as much or more heart than anyone...I just don't see...

Outsider wrote:
He's gotten a bit lucky in the past... remember last year when he hit the eject button and landed feet first? How about the front flip...
He's gotten a bit lucky in the past... remember last year when he hit the eject button and landed feet first?

How about the front flip while racing Pourcel?

I agree he still has a chance, although I would not be super pumped to see him win, UNLESS he started beating JS and RV... then it would be easier to be stoked about, IMO.
I am totally with you on that one, I am not a fan of a guy winning a title because other guys crash out. Reminds me of 09 when JS won 13 races but barely won the title because Chad finished 2nd every damm race. Even if Chad had won the title, I'd have more respect for Bubba's 13 race victories.
That is why I would like to see a "throw away" rule implemented, where you can discard your worst finish of the year. If you have a DNF from a freak racing incident or mechanical failure, you have to win 9 races to make up those 25 points. Miraculously JS did that in 09, but if he had come up one race short, I don't think the best man would have won the title IMO

Post a reply to: #1 still has a chance..

The Latest