1/8th Ton YZ450F...............

Highsider
10/17/2009 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:48am
I suspect the added (published) weight had little to do with FI, however, if they said, "Hey, Jimbo, the new YZ450 has electric start. Oh and it will weigh seven pounds more than last year's."...I wouldn't bitch.

BTW: I just raced four motos, today, on my carbed 07 and it is GREAT and I won't need electric start for a few more years, I hope!Laughing
Hank_Thrill
10/17/2009 5:59pm
Newmann, you are my hero!

Thanks for making me laugh (i'm on your side).
racin mason
10/17/2009 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2009 6:16pm
The new Yamaha may have a bunch of technical advancements that we havent seen before, and be the best handling 4 stroke ever, it still is overweight.This day and age mx bikes should all be 215 lbs.or less, thats what they used to weigh.If the new yzf 450 was a chick,she would be the cute fat girl with a tongue like a cow, that could make you go wow....I have a crf 450, so I put up with the weight, for the tongue thing......
ProMed
10/17/2009 6:12pm
so it's 7 pounds?

The Shop

Looped Out
10/17/2009 6:23pm
newmann wrote:
Eighth of a ton, who the hell is dumb enough to embrace the idea of an overweight pig like that. And to top it off, they...
Eighth of a ton, who the hell is dumb enough to embrace the idea of an overweight pig like that. And to top it off, they want $8090.00 for it! I thought we were supposed to be moving forward here? Damn, the mfgs. of modern motocross bikes must really take us for a bunch of really stupid idiots. Really really stupid. Somebody please come on here and try to explain to everyone that in all actuality it's ONLY nine pounds heavier than last years bike.......LOL...LMFAO! I always thought motocrossers had a little common sense about themselves and took a little pride in their rides. Obviously the mfgs. think differently than I do. Looks like KTM is the only large mfg. left that still has a clue what MX is all about. And for that, I salute you Mr. Lightweight Dirt Bike Maker!
Actually I have ridden the new Yamaha 450 and it's good!

I would hope others would ride the bike before commenting.

You'll see for yourself soon enough. The new 450 Yamaha will be in your dealerships with in the next couple of weeks. Hope your able to get your hands on one and spin a few laps on it, so you'll be able to post your true feelings when you take your helmet off and get back to your computer.

The question is, "Why don't you believe what people that have ridden the new Yamaha 450 have said about the bike"?..................................I just wrote that last sentence and realized some of you guys don't believe the truth.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
10/17/2009 6:28pm
I still ride a 2 stroke (cr250) and love it. I have never really liked the four strokes, but this is the first 450 that has me thinking of switching.
Rooster
10/17/2009 6:32pm
Didn't MXA just test the new Husaberg with the same "feels" lighter engineering advances and say that the higher weight of the bike completely offset the mass centralization engineering effects?
Motodude
10/17/2009 6:43pm
Rooster wrote:
Didn't MXA just test the new Husaberg with the same "feels" lighter engineering advances and say that the higher weight of the bike completely offset the...
Didn't MXA just test the new Husaberg with the same "feels" lighter engineering advances and say that the higher weight of the bike completely offset the mass centralization engineering effects?
Spin, heavy bikes feel heavy no matter where the weight is distributed.
JOHN CHOATE
10/17/2009 6:50pm
Hey Looped, I may be wrong, but I believe some people on Vital may have a lack of faith in the words from test riders(who many do not know or may never heard of) that work for publications and the possible "favors" that may be included for a positive test review . James' comments about the bike are coming from someone who is presumably paid large sums of money to say only good things about it. I, for one, believe what James says.

Of course, there are always going to be die hard two stroke fans(and 4t) that stand up for what they believe is the better of the two choices. Personally, I just love mx and as long I'm on TWO wheels and an engine, I'm happy, but I do race a YZ 450.
2T42
10/17/2009 7:23pm
I have raced and ridden several bikes that do not initially feel heavy when you first start riding them. In the end the weight always comes back to you. After hours in the woods or several hard laps on the track. No matter what, weight is weight. If you have to pick it up a few times, take a series of tight turns, stop or slow rapidly over and over, the weight will always show its ugly head.

Marketing can not override physics now matter how much people are paid to say so. The buzz terms would have never been concocted if they assumed people would think it was light on their own. Why state the obvious, right? Unless it was not really true…

Newmann had me laughing so hard I cried. It would not be so funny, if it was not true and there weren’t so many folks upset about the truth! The Harley stand was so perfect. LOL

BRAAAP!
Cygnus
10/17/2009 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:48am
Motodude
10/17/2009 7:41pm
Cygnus wrote:
[img]http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=935&pictureid=38015[/img]
LOL
rc4187
10/17/2009 8:00pm
Looped Out wrote:
Actually I have ridden the new Yamaha 450 and it's good! I would hope others would ride the bike before commenting. You'll see for yourself soon...
Actually I have ridden the new Yamaha 450 and it's good!

I would hope others would ride the bike before commenting.

You'll see for yourself soon enough. The new 450 Yamaha will be in your dealerships with in the next couple of weeks. Hope your able to get your hands on one and spin a few laps on it, so you'll be able to post your true feelings when you take your helmet off and get back to your computer.

The question is, "Why don't you believe what people that have ridden the new Yamaha 450 have said about the bike"?..................................I just wrote that last sentence and realized some of you guys don't believe the truth.

I hope I get to test it out soon as well. Your previous post did not imply that you had actually ridden it. And I'm sorry... But right now it's all hype. It's only been compared as far as I can tell to last years Yamaha. It may turn better now... But haven't the Suzuki's always turned well? Let me see it compared to other bikes and give it a go myself before others go ahead and spend $8,000 for me.
Crush
10/17/2009 8:10pm
Rooster wrote:
Didn't MXA just test the new Husaberg with the same "feels" lighter engineering advances and say that the higher weight of the bike completely offset the...
Motodude wrote:
Spin, heavy bikes feel heavy no matter where the weight is distributed.
Maybe they did, but if you think MXA would EVER EVER EVER say anything bad about MXA you are about to learn something...
2T42
10/17/2009 8:50pm
My new signature....

"2 strokes... Because 1/8th of a ton is just too fat to ride!"

“More than 3 strokes is playing with it”
“4 strokes… because everyone has the right to MX, not just those with riding skills.”
“What do mopeds, fat chicks and 4 strokes have in common…”
“4 strokes… look cool in the back of your truck.”
“Nothing says, “I have more money than skill” like an $8k bike!”
“Pay more, get more” – The all new 2010 YZ450F. More money and more tonnage than ever before.

I am crackin myself up now! LOL

Maybe Newmann could start a witty signature contest thread to parallel this one!?
JOHN CHOATE
10/17/2009 9:03pm
Wasn't it MXA that said the 09 Honda 450 had some problems while several of the other mags listed the bike #1 in their test when, in fact, the bike did have some issues. I have found my personal views similiar with MXA's reviews regarding bike tests, but I haven't ridden a Husky in probably 30 years and have never ridden a Husaberg.

I understand what Looped is saying that you can't feel the extra weight because of it's "mass centralization". Sometimes you go faster/quicker in drag racing by adding weight. Hopefully though, you don't hit anything because that extra weight is never good in a crash.

I'd love to have an 2010 YZ but I don't see myself spending that kind of knot on a dirt bike.
Crush
10/17/2009 9:12pm
Yeah, MXA will say bad shit about any brand all week, as long as it isn't yamaha... old facts ring true...
newmann
10/17/2009 9:22pm
Crush wrote:
Yeah, MXA will say bad shit about any brand all week, as long as it isn't yamaha... old facts ring true...
They haven't been too favorable on Yamaha the last few years have they? They pretty much call it like it is. I remember them calling the YZ80 the fastest Yamaha in the 125 class one year! LOL
Adam43
10/17/2009 10:08pm
Crush wrote:
If you honestly believe that you clearly don't actually read the mag. They haven't been too kind to Yam the last few years. Don't you think its possible that it was actually a fair review when they were winning shootouts all the time?

The 2010 is an exciting bike, lots to look forward to there. I'm sure it will even be a good improvement over the '09. But they really dropped the ball here with the weight. Going to an all-new, whiz-bang chassis and not only failing to lose weight, but gaining a significant amount? That's going backwards, and I don't see how you could argue otherwise. Its not like the '09 was the lightest one out there either.

Its not a knock just on Yamaha either, the Kawi is the heaviest pig of them all and the RMZ is close. Honda did a great job with the weight but missed the mark in some other areas. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, newer doesn't make it automatically better.
Chili
10/17/2009 10:09pm
Cygnus wrote:
[img]http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=935&pictureid=38015[/img]
Hah, Little Tommy even looks like you!
Crush
10/17/2009 11:26pm
Crush wrote:
Adam43 wrote:
If you honestly believe that you clearly don't actually read the mag. They haven't been too kind to Yam the last few years. Don't you think...
If you honestly believe that you clearly don't actually read the mag. They haven't been too kind to Yam the last few years. Don't you think its possible that it was actually a fair review when they were winning shootouts all the time?

The 2010 is an exciting bike, lots to look forward to there. I'm sure it will even be a good improvement over the '09. But they really dropped the ball here with the weight. Going to an all-new, whiz-bang chassis and not only failing to lose weight, but gaining a significant amount? That's going backwards, and I don't see how you could argue otherwise. Its not like the '09 was the lightest one out there either.

Its not a knock just on Yamaha either, the Kawi is the heaviest pig of them all and the RMZ is close. Honda did a great job with the weight but missed the mark in some other areas. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, newer doesn't make it automatically better.
I clearly stopped reading the mag years ago cause it is pretty ordinary... There are at least 3 or 4 pubs out there that are far far far better...

And... whenever they said that about the 125 Yamaha must have been a long time ago or they are retarded, cause everyone has said the YZ125 was one of the quickest engines in the class since about 96....

MX7MX
10/18/2009 12:44am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2009 12:45am
I love the whining, no matter how much whining you do, your still not gonna get your way! MUAHAHA!
Crush
10/18/2009 12:52am
Hey has anyone seen a horsepower chart between 250 2t and a 4504t...

They changed the displacement to make the 4 stroke competitive, maybe they should do the same for the 2 stroke... a 300cc perhaps or maybe the 450 4 stroke will make it more even?!?!?!
Lightning78
10/18/2009 1:59am
Crush wrote:
Adam43 wrote:
If you honestly believe that you clearly don't actually read the mag. They haven't been too kind to Yam the last few years. Don't you think...

Crush wrote:
I clearly stopped reading the mag years ago cause it is pretty ordinary... There are at least 3 or 4 pubs out there that are far...
I clearly stopped reading the mag years ago cause it is pretty ordinary... There are at least 3 or 4 pubs out there that are far far far better...

And... whenever they said that about the 125 Yamaha must have been a long time ago or they are retarded, cause everyone has said the YZ125 was one of the quickest engines in the class since about 96....

I think of all the Mags out MXA is the most in depth, down to business, help the riders tune and fix their bikes Mag that has ever been produced and of all I chose to subscribe to it was MXA by a landslide. The constant "fix it" articles where they use othert year parts and other brand parts to help certain bike is REALLY informative and w/o them we would NEVER know bec the rest are so gimmick oriented and will do whatever the advertisers ask when testing a product, MXA is one of the only mags to really give you the skinny on products and bikes that will actually help out. '

Crush..... MXA has rated the YZ125 at the top of the heap since 96 cept 04 where the KTM got the nod.
newmann
10/18/2009 5:55am
MX7MX wrote:
I love the whining, no matter how much whining you do, your still not gonna get your way! MUAHAHA!
You again? Just for you, instead of tie down straps, your local dealer will throw in a set of these if you can talk your mom into co-signing the 27.9% loan for your new 450. They only have a 700 lb. capacity, so don't leave them out in the weather too much.

Post a reply to: 1/8th Ton YZ450F...............

The Latest