08’ CRF vs upgrade (Vet Rider) – what say ye?

jock
Fantasy
1st
8/29/2015 2:15am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 2:16am
mjskier wrote:
[b]The 07 carb sucks balls. I've had it tuned several times and cleaned it up early this summer. Just can't seem to get it to run...
The 07 carb sucks balls. I've had it tuned several times and cleaned it up early this summer. Just can't seem to get it to run clean.

That hasn't been my experience. My 07 can always be made very crisp with just a fuel screw adjustment.
But I bought the bike used, so who knows what the previous owner did. I'm in CO which makes me think that they had to play with jetting to make it run good up here.
I have an 06 that I have had from new. Never had any carb issues with the stock jetting ever. The only mods are revalved suspenders, JE 13.5:1 piston. Love the suspension, and the motor has a nice hit from the bottom, and keeps on building, unlike the new ones. It has 107hr on it now, and no plans of selling it anytime soon.

A group of mates and I mostly only go on trail rides now with the odd 5hr Pony Express race thrown in. Cannot justify the price of a new bike for little gain, especially when I love what I already have.

If I did buy a new bike, fair chance it would be a white, 300cc 2 smoke. Smile
jtiger12
8/29/2015 7:47am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 8:47am
poulinaa wrote:
Keep the bike. You won't get your money back if you rebuild it and that '08 CRF might be a collectors item one day. Throw an...
Keep the bike. You won't get your money back if you rebuild it and that '08 CRF might be a collectors item one day. Throw an a-kit the old girl and you'll have years of beating $9000 new bikes left!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SHOWA-PRO-CIRCUIT-A-KIT-CR-CRF-CR125-CR250-CRF250…
Nice find. Hopefully this isn't your item, but tell me..

What kind of Monkey takes crescent wrenches to the fork caps on 7500$ a kit suspension like that? That's a big tell on how this stuff has been cared for. Already needs new sliders (800)

That want even a crescent wrench, that was like a vise grip on those caps
Prairieboy43
8/29/2015 12:57pm
I would sell Honda. You do not race for a living. Then buy a bike that never depreciates. Ex. Maico 490 (81), Newman's Mugen 125 (good luck), Don't loose $$$. Sell bikes (profit$$), when tired of them. Find new project. Take wife out for dinner with some of your $$. Win/Win. Cool

The Shop

mxb2
8/29/2015 1:06pm
The 08 is a great bike, but at the end of the day, its a 8 year old mx bike, you can put new parts on it, but its still 8 years old, imo if you can afford it and work hard,buy a new one., set it up , you will love it. Life is short enjoy it.
Thelen20
8/29/2015 2:47pm
I was in this EXACT same predicament a couple months ago, just getting back on the bike after being off for about 3 years while getting a couple kids on the ground.

My 07 crf450 that I had owned since nearly new needed some love if I was going to continue riding it. I did not have an hour meter on it but it had to be in the 200 range, I know I was on borrowed time when it came to the motor. I had NEVER touched the motor, stock jetting, stock exhaust, etc. Bike had always run like a champ!!! . . .

but I hated the handling, could not for the life of me get comfortable on it like I was on my 04 crf250. The 450 front end either pushed or tucked at the drop of a hat. The front end went from hooked up to gone with no slide in between (if you follow me), it headshaked like a son of a gun, and the rear wouldn't follow the front in the choppy stuff. Had the suspension done twice by the guy that nailed it on my 250f but I just couldn't ride the 450 for nothing.

I had A60 rims laced to stock hubs, nice levers, and a couple other little things on it but at the end of the day it was going to cost money to get her back up to par and at the end of the day I still didn't know what it was going to take to make it handle like I wanted soooo

Out with the old

In with the new

Been on this girl for a few weeks now and loving it. The front tire has traction!!! The forks need some help and I plan to add a 300 kit at some point . . .

Yes I am out more dollars at the moment but I also have a bike that is worth 6k instead of 2k. That money you put in your crf will be gone and you will have to ride it for several years to make it worthwhile, which IS what you should do if you love the crf!!!

Whatever you do, keep on Braaaap'n!

8/29/2015 6:31pm
IMO wait until the redesign hopefully with the magic button. The 08 really was a great bike.

Post a reply to: 08’ CRF vs upgrade (Vet Rider) – what say ye?

The Latest