04 YZ250 vs 06 CR250

Torco1
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 11:49am
I was looking for some opinions/ input between the 2 bikes and which one might be the better option. I currently have a 04 YZ250 that I love, it has everything done to it.......suspension, mild motor work, triple clamps, wheels, etc....... pretty much everything you can do to it. I've been thinking about getting something newer and sticking with a 2 stroke. I just recently came across a deal from a friend that works for Honda and bought an 06 CR250 in the crate a couple of years ago and has probably literally ridden it 5-10 times. It has an FMF pipe and silencer and suspension work and is super clean. He will sell it to me for $2700. What do you guys think would be the better bike? Like I said, I really like my YZ but its an 04 and is a little dated. Could it still be a better bike than the 06 CR? I know he will let me use it for a day at the track before I commit to buying it. Would that be the best thing to do? Just ride it for a day and see if its a better bike? Thanks for any input.
|
Yaya
Fantasy
2551st
12/22/2009 1:51pm
Umm...tough call. Like you said you got your 04 YZ decked out and set up for your liking. On the other hand the $2700 is something that I would jump for cause that is a helluva lot better than 8500 or 9000 grand for a four stroke. Soo enough rambling from me, I say jump for it and get it!
Highsider
12/22/2009 1:54pm
Yaya wrote:
Umm...tough call. Like you said you got your 04 YZ decked out and set up for your liking. On the other hand the $2700 is something...
Umm...tough call. Like you said you got your 04 YZ decked out and set up for your liking. On the other hand the $2700 is something that I would jump for cause that is a helluva lot better than 8500 or 9000 grand for a four stroke. Soo enough rambling from me, I say jump for it and get it!
Then, ride the CR and make your choice and list the one you don't want here at the Vital Bazaar!
mxr102
12/22/2009 2:11pm
Ive ridden both and Im the current owner of a 09 YZ250. Im not biased by any means at all, I love 2 strokes and I always will. The Yamaha power delivery is better all around and is easier to go fast on and to ride. Suspension Its been so long since I've rooad the older edition of the YZ but Suspension on the Yamaha is hands down better and I rode both bikes back to back with both of them set up for me by ENZO. The YZ is all around a better bike no ifs ands buts about it. Another thing is you always have to adjust the Honda RC Power Valve which is a pain in the butt.
Torco1
12/22/2009 2:35pm
mxr102 wrote:
Ive ridden both and Im the current owner of a 09 YZ250. Im not biased by any means at all, I love 2 strokes and I...
Ive ridden both and Im the current owner of a 09 YZ250. Im not biased by any means at all, I love 2 strokes and I always will. The Yamaha power delivery is better all around and is easier to go fast on and to ride. Suspension Its been so long since I've rooad the older edition of the YZ but Suspension on the Yamaha is hands down better and I rode both bikes back to back with both of them set up for me by ENZO. The YZ is all around a better bike no ifs ands buts about it. Another thing is you always have to adjust the Honda RC Power Valve which is a pain in the butt.
How much better (if any) is the aluminum frame YZ over the steel frame? My 04 has the steel frame and like I said, I love the bike but I have been thinking of getting a newer YZ and then that CR250 deal popped up. Do you think it would be worth getting rid of my 04 that has everything done to it and is literally the best bike I've ever owned for a newer YZ250?

The Shop

12/22/2009 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:35pm
I was gonna say something about comparing an 09 YZ to the 06 Honda. Basically, the Honda is a 2002. It didn't change a whole lot from those years. 05 on did have some good updates, but basically the same bike. 05 YZ's went with the Aluminum and then they started getting all the raves. So I would say it is basically a tossup as well. So year wise, consider the YZ an 04 and consider the CR an 02 as far as the comparisons go. Except the Honda will hold value longer, because it is the last version and it has low hours. Plus the fact that Yamaha still makes those bikes. I could pick up an 04 YZ for around $1000-$1500 and the CR sounds about right as far as price. I've seen them higher for the hours on it. But right around there. The CR intake is the main problem. Other than that, and FMF fatty. DO NOT go with an SST on a CR. The little low end you get with the intake mod is a wash when you lose the low end with the sst pipe.
Torco1
12/22/2009 3:05pm
I was gonna say something about comparing an 09 YZ to the 06 Honda. Basically, the Honda is a 2002. It didn't change a whole lot...
I was gonna say something about comparing an 09 YZ to the 06 Honda. Basically, the Honda is a 2002. It didn't change a whole lot from those years. 05 on did have some good updates, but basically the same bike. 05 YZ's went with the Aluminum and then they started getting all the raves. So I would say it is basically a tossup as well. So year wise, consider the YZ an 04 and consider the CR an 02 as far as the comparisons go. Except the Honda will hold value longer, because it is the last version and it has low hours. Plus the fact that Yamaha still makes those bikes. I could pick up an 04 YZ for around $1000-$1500 and the CR sounds about right as far as price. I've seen them higher for the hours on it. But right around there. The CR intake is the main problem. Other than that, and FMF fatty. DO NOT go with an SST on a CR. The little low end you get with the intake mod is a wash when you lose the low end with the sst pipe.
Yeah, I would for sure go with a fatty pipe over the SST. I actually worked at FMF for about 6 years and always found the fatty to be a better choice.......in my opinion of course. I'm really just afraid of getting something that I wont like as much. I got ride of an 06 KX250f and a 2007 KX250 in favor of the 04 YZ250......thats how much I liked the bike when I got it. I guess I will just have to ride the CR and go from there.
mxr102
12/22/2009 3:12pm
mxr102 wrote:
Ive ridden both and Im the current owner of a 09 YZ250. Im not biased by any means at all, I love 2 strokes and I...
Torco1 wrote:
How much better (if any) is the aluminum frame YZ over the steel frame? My 04 has the steel frame and like I said, I love...
How much better (if any) is the aluminum frame YZ over the steel frame? My 04 has the steel frame and like I said, I love the bike but I have been thinking of getting a newer YZ and then that CR250 deal popped up. Do you think it would be worth getting rid of my 04 that has everything done to it and is literally the best bike I've ever owned for a newer YZ250?
Its been so long since Ive rode a steal framed one. But all i know is I have everything done to my bike as well like you. I wouldn't buy a Honda honestly no matter what the price is. If anything all the stuff off your 04 parts wise will work on all the aluminum framed bike. I would just tae and get the newer edition YZ with the new SSS Forks. You won't be disapointed at all.
swtwtwtw
12/22/2009 3:27pm
really. if you were a "Honda Guy", go back to the Honda. Otherwise stick with what you have. The steel frame yammies were really good, just as are the aluminum framed ones.

I am a honda guy and sold my newer 450f's and went back to the CR250 (2003) and find that it is a great bike as long as I am "on it", forget it if I get lazy; time to stop.

The 2006 CR has the Keihin carb, which is way better than the Mikuni that came on the "02-03's.

I will buy your buddies bike, if he has to sell it.
Torco1
12/22/2009 4:56pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
really. if you were a "Honda Guy", go back to the Honda. Otherwise stick with what you have. The steel frame yammies were really good, just...
really. if you were a "Honda Guy", go back to the Honda. Otherwise stick with what you have. The steel frame yammies were really good, just as are the aluminum framed ones.

I am a honda guy and sold my newer 450f's and went back to the CR250 (2003) and find that it is a great bike as long as I am "on it", forget it if I get lazy; time to stop.

The 2006 CR has the Keihin carb, which is way better than the Mikuni that came on the "02-03's.

I'm going to go and look at it again sometime this week and if I decide against buying it I will give you his info so you can contact him if you want to.
swtwtwtw
12/22/2009 5:08pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
really. if you were a "Honda Guy", go back to the Honda. Otherwise stick with what you have. The steel frame yammies were really good, just...

Torco1 wrote:
I'm going to go and look at it again sometime this week and if I decide against buying it I will give you his info so...
I'm going to go and look at it again sometime this week and if I decide against buying it I will give you his info so you can contact him if you want to.
Thanks. I really want another CR250 for this season.
chillrich
12/22/2009 5:39pm
Torco1 wrote:
How much better (if any) is the aluminum frame YZ over the steel frame? My 04 has the steel frame and like I said, I love...
Ask Chad Reed, he loved the 2004
Denn700
12/22/2009 6:56pm
I had an 06 Cr250 and a 07 YZ250. Stock the YZ is a much better bike. The 04 turns better than the 07 in flat turns but feels heavier. I use to ride my buddies all the time. I had pro circuit do the motor on my Cr though and that was one of the fastest 250's I ever had.
500 Mike
12/22/2009 8:03pm
I've got an 06 CR250R and if I were you I would look for a newer YZ. The jetting will NEVER be right on the CR. Everything you read about those headaches are true. Once you get it dialed in the temp or the humidity changes and you are chasing it again. I bought the JD Jet kit for it and it did help but it doesn't solve the constant need to change it to get it crisp. If you are going to race MX and are on it hard all the time you can jet for the mid to top RPM range and get it clean but if you are going to ride some trails and off road you will end up fighting it.

BTW, the 06's still have the Mikuni carb with TPS. Good luck!!
swtwtwtw
12/22/2009 8:21pm
500 Mike wrote:
I've got an 06 CR250R and if I were you I would look for a newer YZ. The jetting will NEVER be right on the CR...
I've got an 06 CR250R and if I were you I would look for a newer YZ. The jetting will NEVER be right on the CR. Everything you read about those headaches are true. Once you get it dialed in the temp or the humidity changes and you are chasing it again. I bought the JD Jet kit for it and it did help but it doesn't solve the constant need to change it to get it crisp. If you are going to race MX and are on it hard all the time you can jet for the mid to top RPM range and get it clean but if you are going to ride some trails and off road you will end up fighting it.

I will buy it.
ThePipe
12/22/2009 8:44pm

Win / Win situation
You can't lose
Both bikes are better than any 10 FourBanger piece of garbage
12/23/2009 5:34am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2009 5:34am
500 Mike wrote:
I've got an 06 CR250R and if I were you I would look for a newer YZ. The jetting will NEVER be right on the CR...

I still say bull on the CR problems. We have fixed it. It isn't the carb, and it isn't the jetting. It was a minor flaw in someone's judgement at Honda, that can be fixed easily.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
12/23/2009 7:06am
I was gonna say something about comparing an 09 YZ to the 06 Honda. Basically, the Honda is a 2002. It didn't change a whole lot...
I want an 04 YZ250 for 1000-1500, any around the Alabama area? I'm having trouble finding one...
12/23/2009 7:31am
Deals are always out there. You have to be able to watch and pounce when they pop up. Cash is king, especially when you are at the location looking at a bike.

Here's an 05 for $2k. You can probably get them down alittle. Usually $200 is about what people are usually willing to go lower. http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1508890111.html

Here's an 03 for $1250 again can probably get it cheaper. http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/1478682545.html
ty159
12/23/2009 7:49am
I ride an 05 CR 250, that is the exact same bike as the 06 and 07's, no changes at all.

As miedosso said, the probelm with the engine is the intake, the ports are off. Eric Gorr can fix the problem, and when he does, the bike is awesome!

That said, I just bought my son an 09 YZ 250 and it's a great bike. I'm not a big fan of the erog's, and it doesn't turn quite as well as my CR and that is probably a product of the suspension sag isn't set for my weight, but the engine and suspension on that thing is flat out awesome!!

Post a reply to: 04 YZ250 vs 06 CR250

The Latest