03 CR125 Pipes

7/31/2015 2:18am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 3:48am
So I'm looking for a works style (raw metal finish, not cone pipe) looking pipe. It pretty much rules out FMF, and Pro Circuit don't seem to be making their works pipes for that model. DEPs look good but I can't find decent deals on shipping and stuff. Any recommendations? I've looked at the Scalvini because it looks very nice, but I've heard the power isn't particularly good. And they're quite pricey.

My current pipe is a Pro Circuit one (not a works pipe) and the previous owner dented it pretty badly where the badge went. So I ground that off and am slowly trying to work the dent out (with compressed air) but I think I need a hotter torch. Anyway, I'm considering continuing trying to fix this one but the finish is less than nice and I was considering hitting it with a flapper disc on a grinder to bring it to raw metal (it's currently got some pinhole sized spots of rust dotted around). Then how should I protect it?

Everything else on the bike has been sanded or cleaned to as best condition possible so the last thing really is the pipe.
|
HenryA
7/31/2015 2:57am
Heat resistant clear coat is what you are looking for.
7/31/2015 4:59am
HenryA wrote:
Heat resistant clear coat is what you are looking for.
Does it last? Prone to chipping or gouging, or just do 3-5 layers to prevent that?
mxracer546
7/31/2015 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2015 5:56pm
Call DynoPort 352-255-3665 or email him rich@dynoport.com he has been out of the dirt bike biz for years but, still has pipes and if he has a rig for an 03 he can make you one. Rich's works pipes are sick! He doesn't list an 03 but it would be worth a call.
http://dynoport.com/Honda.php
TX_187
7/31/2015 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2015 10:16pm
I had the same issue with my 02 cr125. Actually ordered 2 different pipes off eBay that said works, or raw finish, but they both showed up plated. Ended up going with DEP, it's a solid pipe. Only issue I had was with the kick start resting against the pipe. Not a huge deal but it was kind of annoying.

The Shop

cody341
7/31/2015 10:39pm
call pro circuit they still have 2 or 3 works pipes made for a 2002-2003 cr125. I just got one for my 02, just have to talk to the right people.
Jack mehoff
7/31/2015 10:48pm
mxracer546 wrote:
Call DynoPort 352-255-3665 or email him rich@dynoport.com he has been out of the dirt bike biz for years but, still has pipes and if he has...
Call DynoPort 352-255-3665 or email him rich@dynoport.com he has been out of the dirt bike biz for years but, still has pipes and if he has a rig for an 03 he can make you one. Rich's works pipes are sick! He doesn't list an 03 but it would be worth a call.
http://dynoport.com/Honda.php
I would 2 nd the dyno port if you look at the 90s thread the yz number 415 had one off his pipes , they where the best pipes I have ever used
clem
8/1/2015 4:00pm
Coat the bare pipe with mop and glo an couple of times per year. That's what I do on the cone pipes that I built for my street smoker.
8/1/2015 5:27pm
TX_187 wrote:
I had the same issue with my 02 cr125. Actually ordered 2 different pipes off eBay that said works, or raw finish, but they both showed...
I had the same issue with my 02 cr125. Actually ordered 2 different pipes off eBay that said works, or raw finish, but they both showed up plated. Ended up going with DEP, it's a solid pipe. Only issue I had was with the kick start resting against the pipe. Not a huge deal but it was kind of annoying.
I bet you have a tiny bit of play in the kickstart knuckle, i thought exactly the same until i put a new one on, it's really tight on clearance anyway so all it takes is a little play and it's touching.
mxdude105
8/1/2015 6:07pm
I have a PC Works pipe on my '03, bought it way back in 2004. I love the works finish and have noticed how difficult it is to find new bare metal pipes these days. When my works pipe starts getting a little too dinged up, I fill it with water, cap both ends and put it in the freezer overnight. It's not perfect, but it goes a good job popping out moderate sized dents.
ratonmacias
8/1/2015 6:37pm
the pipe to have on that bike is from a kawi search the internet
Tracktor
8/1/2015 10:06pm
03 KX125 pipe works really well. Takes a small bit of modding but totally worth it. Yes, i have ran it and nothing else we have tried comes close...
8/1/2015 11:21pm
Tracktor wrote:
03 KX125 pipe works really well. Takes a small bit of modding but totally worth it. Yes, i have ran it and nothing else we have...
03 KX125 pipe works really well. Takes a small bit of modding but totally worth it. Yes, i have ran it and nothing else we have tried comes close...
What kind of modding? Cutting the the end partly and bending it to line up with the flange? I don't really want to cut up a brand new pipe but I'll look out for a second hand one.
Stoop
Fantasy
1021st
8/1/2015 11:27pm
Tracktor wrote:
03 KX125 pipe works really well. Takes a small bit of modding but totally worth it. Yes, i have ran it and nothing else we have...
What kind of modding? Cutting the the end partly and bending it to line up with the flange? I don't really want to cut up a...
What kind of modding? Cutting the the end partly and bending it to line up with the flange? I don't really want to cut up a brand new pipe but I'll look out for a second hand one.
8/2/2015 5:36am
My understanding is it's the oem kawa front pipe that's the hot ticket, not an aftermarket brand pipe that's for the 03 kx125 ?
8/2/2015 6:34am
My understanding is it's the oem kawa front pipe that's the hot ticket, not an aftermarket brand pipe that's for the 03 kx125 ?
In that case, there is a full stock system nearby to me. I guess it would be fairly easy to install with a few brackets. Still can't believe a Kawasaki pipe is apparently the best pipe for it; and a stock one at that. I've also read the stock pipe is the one that gives the best power, not aftermarket pipes.
8/2/2015 7:20am
i haven't tried one myself, but yeah, same as yourself everything i've read or heard states it's the stock 03 kx125 front pipe, it might fit easier than you think, i have an unknown oem pipe thst bolts right up on an 03 cr125 and it's 100% not for the bike, it came with some random spares i bought so have no clue to what it's off unfortunately.
yota
8/2/2015 10:51am

8/2/2015 2:38pm
Forgot to mention, i've also heard that the 05 pipe fits the 02-04 aswel, so if you have a friend with an 05-07 who's pipe you can try, you may well be able to just order the factory fatty anyway ?
Tracktor
8/6/2015 11:23am
Tracktor wrote:
What kind of modding? Cutting the the end partly and bending it to line up with the flange? I don't really want to cut up a...
We are running a 96 HPP top end so I can't say for sure for a stock one.

For the Hpp I cut the pipe about 3/4 of the way through just in front(towards front of bike) of the pipe spring brackets. I bent it to fit then rewelded a patch. I also extended the bottom mount about 3/4". The stinger is longer so I had to make an extension for the silencer mount out of aluminum. All in all it was pretty simple. You may not have to to the front part as the 02 cylinder has more of an angle than the HPP style.

I will say again nothing we tried comes close. The Kawi pipe is fatter in the middle with a long stinger. Looks much different than a stock style pipe.

8/6/2015 11:27am
Tracktor wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
We are running a 96 HPP top end so I can't say for sure for a stock one. For the Hpp I cut the pipe about...

For the Hpp I cut the pipe about 3/4 of the way through just in front(towards front of bike) of the pipe spring brackets. I bent it to fit then rewelded a patch. I also extended the bottom mount about 3/4". The stinger is longer so I had to make an extension for the silencer mount out of aluminum. All in all it was pretty simple. You may not have to to the front part as the 02 cylinder has more of an angle than the HPP style.

I will say again nothing we tried comes close. The Kawi pipe is fatter in the middle with a long stinger. Looks much different than a stock style pipe.

Id like to see a pic of that CR125 when it's done. has some potential.
Tracktor
8/6/2015 11:50am
Tracktor wrote:
We are running a 96 HPP top end so I can't say for sure for a stock one. For the Hpp I cut the pipe about...

Id like to see a pic of that CR125 when it's done. has some potential.
Pre-KX pipe but complete bike. TXrace kit works very well and has held up great so far. The kid put the wrong air filter on last week and ran a moto on our dusty track. Motor is out getting new crank/bearings, etc.

Currently running my complete '96 144 6-speed in it.
03 Kx Pipe
38mm PWK airstryker

It's his move up from super-mini bike. More fun to build something unique than buy a Yamaha/KTM like everyone else. Running consistent top 3's on it in the BTH Amateur classes against 4-strokes.

gavan
5/20/2020 3:48am
Is it possible the pro circuit pipe for the 03KX 125 would also be good if you cannot get a stock one... ?
Thinking of putting it on an 07 cr125.

Post a reply to: 03 CR125 Pipes

The Latest