01 RM250 backfiring on kickstart

01zukiRM250
Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 7:20pm
Haven't been able to ride my newly acquired 2 stroker longer than 5 mins. When trying to kickstart its backfiring after about 10 kicks. Wants to turn over but nothing. New sparkplug freshly cleaned carb but nothing. Not sure if timing jumped or its time for a top end. Any suggestions? Trying not to break the bank but would like to ride it more than 5 mins.
|
01zukiRM250
1/30/2016 7:44pm
Nope didn't realize just trying to get my bike fixed but thanks for the info
Mallet
1/30/2016 7:58pm
Check for a broken reed.

The Shop

DownSouth
1/31/2016 8:24am
How would I go about doing that?
Unbolt the carburetor from the cylinder and remove the reed cage to see if the reeds are intact.
hillbilly
1/31/2016 9:13am
Since you dont know how to check reeds how did you clean the carb?

Because it sounds like the jets are stopped up. Were the jets removed and cleaned and the atomization holes cleaned?
philG
1/31/2016 9:19am
Broken woodruff key . pull the rotor off and check it .

you can mark it with a pen , and stick it back on, to see it it will run when its in the right place.
01zukiRM250
1/31/2016 11:19am
hillbilly wrote:
Since you dont know how to check reeds how did you clean the carb? Because it sounds like the jets are stopped up. Were the jets...

Because it sounds like the jets are stopped up. Were the jets removed and cleaned and the atomization holes cleaned?
I can clean a carb. Checked and cleaned all jets. Fuel is flowing fine from tank to carb. What side of the bike would I locate the woodruff key?? And would I have to remove the flywheel?
hillbilly
1/31/2016 12:04pm
hillbilly wrote:
Since you dont know how to check reeds how did you clean the carb? Because it sounds like the jets are stopped up. Were the jets...

I can clean a carb. Checked and cleaned all jets. Fuel is flowing fine from tank to carb. What side of the bike would I locate...
I can clean a carb. Checked and cleaned all jets. Fuel is flowing fine from tank to carb. What side of the bike would I locate the woodruff key?? And would I have to remove the flywheel?
Ok,

You typed the bike "runs for 5 minutes" ,if it does then it likely isnt the flywheel key and yes,you would need to have a puller.

Pull off the tank and check the kill switch wire or wires,it can have one and ground on the bar or 2 and ground back to coil ground. Unhook the kill switch wires to eliminate that right off and just check the ground on the coil,it will be screwed down on a tab beside the coil.
hillbilly
1/31/2016 12:08pm
I would check the new plug,make sure it hasn't been dropped and the gap closed or the porcelain cracked.
01zukiRM250
1/31/2016 3:48pm
Ok the bike "did" ride for 5 mins when I first got it but now it's nothing. I will check the kill switch tonight and cdi. Spark is ok but I think it should be a whole lot stronger. When I first got it and checked the plug it was oily so put another in but now when I take it out its dry. Seems like gas isn't getting to the motor but I can unscrew the bolt under the carb and it pours out. I have a flywheel puller to check the woodruff key but not a holder for the flywheel. If I put it in gear and tire on the ground would that help get the nut off the flywheel to pull it off??
1/31/2016 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 4:11pm
If the pilot jet is clogged that could be your problem. Remove the spark plug and ground it and see if you have spark, if you have spark pour a thimble full of gas pour it in then plug hole and reinstall the plug and se if it pops, if it does the carb and or jets are not clean so try again.
01zukiRM250
2/6/2016 8:05pm
Ok I think I found the problem. Did a compression test and only came up with 70 psi so took top end apart and low and behold the piston is literally missing half of it. So any ideas on where to find a good deal on a wiseco piston???
2/6/2016 8:52pm
Ok I think I found the problem. Did a compression test and only came up with 70 psi so took top end apart and low and...
Ok I think I found the problem. Did a compression test and only came up with 70 psi so took top end apart and low and behold the piston is literally missing half of it. So any ideas on where to find a good deal on a wiseco piston???
Rmatvmc is usually pretty good, thats where I got my kx125 piston and I think they have kits on there with all the gaskets included for the base and head
01zukiRM250
2/6/2016 9:29pm
Yea I like them but not much the price. I'm undecided on a wiseco piston or pro x? Any suggestions??
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
2/6/2016 9:29pm
Ok I think I found the problem. Did a compression test and only came up with 70 psi so took top end apart and low and...
Just about any piston but Namura will work great. I'd avoid them like a bad case of the clap in 1913.

Since it's very likely there are pieces of the piston in the bottom end and possibly in the pipe, it would behoove you to split the cases to clean out the errant pieces. If that's simply not going to happen, at least yank the motor and turn it upside down to clean out the bottom end, flushing it with premix, carb cleaner, etc. Check the pipe and silencer for bits too.
01zukiRM250
2/14/2016 6:36pm
Bike is running. Got a wiseco piston put in and did another compression test and went up to 150psi. Two kicks and it cranks. But now I get a crap ton of white smoke. I know it's suppose to smoke because it's a two smoker but this thing is smoking like a diesel. Any suggestions. Mix is 32:1. Should I go to 40:1??
2/14/2016 7:20pm
Bike is running. Got a wiseco piston put in and did another compression test and went up to 150psi. Two kicks and it cranks. But now...
Bike is running. Got a wiseco piston put in and did another compression test and went up to 150psi. Two kicks and it cranks. But now I get a crap ton of white smoke. I know it's suppose to smoke because it's a two smoker but this thing is smoking like a diesel. Any suggestions. Mix is 32:1. Should I go to 40:1??
Stick to 32:1, sounds like youre possibly running lean. Check your plug colour and rejet it accordingly

Post a reply to: 01 RM250 backfiring on kickstart

The Latest