battlefield 3 beta is live for all

9/29/2011 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 1:55am
just an FYI, the ps3 store just updated and bf3 beta is up.
|
DoctorJD
9/29/2011 1:11pm
It is downloading at my house as we speak.
DoctorJD
9/30/2011 6:14am
First impressions after playing about 30 minutes:

The good:
I like the layout of the game. It's a little more intuitive than BF2. Seems to load faster, and is much more visually pleasing. Dare I say, CoD-like.

I like that you receive points when a teammate spawns off of you. You should get points for playing the objective.

You can go prone now. (You'll also see this in the "dislike" column).

Better graphics.

The new engine is great, the player has more realistic movements. You can't simply run and leap over a 4' fence anymore, there is more time involved, as your soldier has to climb over objects now. Weapons have a much more realistic feel. No tanks, choppers or jets in the beta, we'll have to wait for the full release for that.

"Spotting" is still part of the game.

No mortar strikes from Bush Wookies sitting on the edge of the map. At least not with the beta release, anyway.

All of the game dialog is in English.

The bad:
It's hard to discern who is who. The opposing players look strikingly similar to your own (like BF2) but the colored red tags over the opposing players are very small. I found myself walking right into enemy players several times throughout the game, as well as mowing down my own teammates.

Using the R3 stick to go from standing to crouched never posed a problem with BF2, but I had a tough time with it going "prone" for some reason. I spent way too much time trying to get my dude in the right stance. I do, however, like the fact that you can go prone in the game though.

There are some "beta" glitches that I'm sure they'll get worked out. On the first objective, I was only seeing players heads sticking up out of the ground. My son played one game where he had no weapons. The audio has some bugs that need to be worked out.

While I hesitate to call this "bad", the guns have a lot more recoil. It's a different feeling from BC2. I never really found a gun I felt totally comfortable with, except the AK74U.

I HATE those dumb-ass "killer-cams" that they show after you've died. It makes me want to throw my controller through the TV. This was part of BC2 and it's still in there on BF3. I like the MW "kill cam" much better. Or, better yet, just let my screen go black after I've died.

The beta reinforced what I thought: This is going to be a great game, can't wait till the full version comes out!
9/30/2011 9:50am
good thing this is a beta. i agree on most of what you said.
they will have all the glitchy issues ironed out by release. no way they are gonna release the game with holes in the map.

i hope they fix how you exit the game. in BC2 you couldnt exit until you started up a new game.

i play hardcore all the time, and if the teammate icons stay like they are, theres going to be a lot of team kills. it takes too long for the name to pop up. dont know if its a team mate or not, gotta wait and see, and then im dead because it wasnt.

im excited for 12 v 12 team deathmatch. and cant wait for jets!
9/30/2011 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2011 1:53pm
Briefly tested out the 360 version and (after a couple of hours pissing about with EA Origin and Nividia drivers) the PC version. As expected the PC knocks the socks off the 360 in the visual department but with that said, for what it is I don't think the console looks bad at all. I'm running an OC GTX 560 ti on the PC.

I'm not the most experienced BF player in the world but over the past few weeks I have put quite a few hours into BC2. I like the new animations when you jump over a wall or are dying and stretching out an arm for revival. I enjoy those added little touches, small though they are. However I totally agree with everyone in that it's much harder to distinguish between friend and foe. I would like to remap my keyboard to my BC2 settings in order to increase my comfort further. But so far so good imo.

Post a reply to: battlefield 3 beta is live for all

The Latest