PS3 vs PS4

JoJmoto
11/13/2015 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2015 1:00pm
Ok so in a nut shell, whats the difference and is it worth getting? Can you play PS3 games in the 4?
|
11/15/2015 4:01am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2015 4:04am
Although I don't own a PS4, I looked into this myself (as I want a PS4) and as I understand it the PS4 doesn't have true backwards compatibility. However you can still play some PS3 titles via a service set-up called PlayStation Now. The game is basically hosted on another system somewhere and is streamed to you (your PS4) as you play. Unfortunately I believe you can only rent the game in question? And the last time I looked into it, it seemed quite expensive and then there are other potenital problems with lag etc. Better than nothing but no perfect. I'd also find it interesting to hear from someone who has direct experience with this.

JoJmoto
11/15/2015 5:14pm
Thanks for the info. So far, I don't know anyone who has one, personally, to give us some feed back.
SEE ARE125
11/16/2015 8:33am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2015 8:36am
I have both. I bought the PS4 for the kids last Christmas, and recently started playing it once some games came out that I was interested in. No backwards compatibility, but like mentioned above you can rent PS3 games through Playstation Now. I rented MX vs ATV Reflex once just to see how it played on the PS4, and I want to say it was $0.99 for 4 hours, but weekly, monthly, and 90-day rentals are available and the cost goes down the longer rental you have. The game played well, no lag or anything. Although it's not backwards compatible for disc games, I THINK some downloaded games and DLC will transfer from the PS3 to the PS4 if you use the same PSN account. This mostly depends on the game developer, not Sony. I know DLC for MX vs ATV Supercross on PS3 will transfer to Encore on PS4.

Controller - L2 and R2 have little "tails" on the bottom, which keeps your fingers in place a lot better. The joysticks are also recessed now which keeps your thumbs in place, too. It also has a headphone jack and a speaker. The first time I even noticed the speaker was when playing Black Ops III. It's a cool feature, kind of like miniature surround sound.

Rest Mode - The PS4 has a "rest mode" that you can put it in instead of turning the system completely off. It operates at a lower power level, but it's still technically on and will charge your controller and automatically install updates so when you go to play, there's no waiting on an update to install.

Playstation App - You can be at work, dinner, etc, and buy a game and start the download(provided you left your PS4 in rest mode), all from your phone. Then when you get home, the game is downloaded, installed, and ready to play.

Online Play - It's $49.99/year where the PS3 is free. You can also join friends games without an invite. Just click on your friend, then click "Join Session." This is good because it's hard to send invites in the middle of a game. You can also join a party and talk with your friends using your mic/headset, even if they're playing a different game.

There's a bunch of other stuff I'm not really into, like watching live streams of other people playing games. I'm not really into watching other people play, I bought the thing so I could play. lol

I'm just a casual gamer, and that's my take. I'm sure there's a ton of other features I haven't even began to use or will ever use. Overall though, I like it better than the PS3.

SEE ARE125
11/16/2015 11:48am
I totally agree. Not being backwards compatible is the reason I kept playing my PS3 even though there was a new PS4 upstairs. I've slowly started playing PS4 more often, now that newer titles are out that I didn't already have on my PS3.

The Shop

JoJmoto
11/16/2015 4:56pm
Thanks for that info !

Rest Mode - The PS4 has a "rest mode" that you can put it in instead of turning the system completely off. It operates at a lower power level, but it's still technically on and will charge your controller and automatically install updates so when you go to play, there's no waiting on an update to install.

Playstation App - You can be at work, dinner, etc, and buy a game and start the download(provided you left your PS4 in rest mode), all from your phone. Then when you get home, the game is downloaded, installed, and ready to play.

Thats pretty cool stuff, I like it!

Online Play - It's $49.99/year where the PS3 is free. You can also join friends games without an invite. Just click on your friend, then click "Join Session." This is good because it's hard to send invites in the middle of a game. You can also join a party and talk with your friends using your mic/headset, even if they're playing a different game.

That's bullshit! I don't like it!! lol

Well, the $50 annual fee part anyway. I like its easier to play with friends. I have one friend who lives 10 miles from me and we cannot ever link up and play... but I play withg guys from Mexico all day long! I have no idea why, I just hope its fixed!
peelout
11/17/2015 11:53am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 11:54am
Rest Mode is Best Mode on the PS4... i like it because it's basically off, but when i fire it up all i have to do is turn on my controller, sign into my account, and the game continues exactly where i left off... this all takes about 10 seconds.

i owned a PS3 at the same time as owning an XBOX360, but i sold the PS3 because i was not impressed at all with the hardware and the play compared to my 360. however, with as big of a turd as the XBOne is, that was not an option. i went with the PS4 and would highly recommend one to anyone out there.

i'm not playing online so i can't comment on that end of things.

oh... also, if you get the PS4, get it with The Last Of Us package... easily the most engaging and gripping story of any game i've ever played
12/4/2015 10:54am
Finally picked up a PS4 myself for mad money last week as it was Black Friday in the UK, and wow what a nice piece of kit! So quiet and easy to use. Packed her away for Christmas after creating a profile but have Bloodborne ready come the 25th (I'm a massive Dark Souls fan). Can't wait! Not sure how well it'll work but I'm also interested in this project Morpheus thing coming out for the PS4 next yr. Cheers for the info in the thread everyone.

Post a reply to: PS3 vs PS4

The Latest