2008 YZ 125 build - Finished, now with more pictures

8/22/2017 1:58am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2019 12:49am
Thought I share my YZ 125 project.

The plan is not so much trying to make it fast (I have my 250f for that) but to have a fun project and make a bike that looks and feels "cool" on a reasonable budget... and then shredd that thing on the track Smile

The starting point is this (see photos below) 2008 YZ 125 i got second hand for 1650 USD.
The engine and the wheels seems to be (knock on wood) good but most everything else needs to be updated.

The budget is around 2000-2500 USD in parts (most are already ordered).

Here's the list of things I plan to do with it:

Plastics
Full Rtech Revolution kit and gas tank - Because I've not seen many cool looking builds with them yet Smile
Cycra Stadium front number plate - Makes every bike at least 10% better looking in my book
Custom graphics (by me) - I'm a designer I better design my own graphics right?
New ribbed seat cover - Comfort and style
New seat base - Current foam is soaked with water and is softer than my sofa

Suspension
Front forks needs to be renovated. Shock should be newly renovated 10 hours ago so hopefully good, needs checking though.

Chassis
Weld crack in subframe
Powder coat frame plus swingarm and triple clamps - Cool factor
Replace some of the bearings - A lot of them are newly changed but some are worn out

Engine
New Piston kit - it's a 125 two strokes, it eats pistons for breakfast
Boyesen reeds - they're cheap but better than stock
Fmf Fatty pipe and silencer - Well let's face it, I want it to be slow so I can feel fast but you can't beat the look and sound of an aftermarket system on a two stroke!
Jetting - duh Wink
Powder coat covers
Possibly new kickstarter - Rather not spend money on it but I might have to
New drivetrain - Current one is shit
New chain guides - Current one is completely worn out

Brakes
New front disc and pads - check pics, nothing to add
New brakelines front and rear
New Disc protector rear

Controls
New brake pedal
New shifter - current is worn through to the point of it being a hole in it
New footpegs - Honestly just because the current ones look really bad
Emig grips - Love them
Possibly new bars (current are to low)

Wheels
Powder coated
Dunlop mx3s tires - Best tires
New wheel locks

Misc.
Hour meter - Best 5 bucks you can spend
Remove rust from all axles, nuts and bolts - There's lots of it!
Random anodized parts - Bling yo! But only if I can find it at a decent price
Cleaning up everything in general

How it currently sits:

|
Slosh 112
8/22/2017 3:32am
Man that front disc is the worst I've ever seen!
8/22/2017 6:39am
Yeah the discs are shot! It's had a life but you seem to have this project under control with good plans, keen to see the result.

Check out the brake pedal...so high Huh
8/22/2017 7:00am
Saw the first picture,and tought: This must be in Sweden!

YeahTongue

Looks like a good starting point!
8/22/2017 8:05am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 8:06am
Saw the first picture,and tought: This must be in Sweden!

YeahTongue

Looks like a good starting point!
Haha yeah, I'm Swedish, 30-something that made a "comeback" riding last year after not riding for a couple of years and it's more fun than ever.

Yeah, it's a decent starting point, lots of stuff that needs changing but that's what's fun about projects like thisWink

The Shop

8/22/2017 8:06am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2017 8:07am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Man that front disc is the worst I've ever seen!
Haha, yeah the front disc is crazy!
8/22/2017 8:08am
Cooper 688 wrote:
Yeah the discs are shot! It's had a life but you seem to have this project under control with good plans, keen to see the result...
Yeah the discs are shot! It's had a life but you seem to have this project under control with good plans, keen to see the result.

Check out the brake pedal...so high Huh
Thank's a lot, I think it's gonna be a fun project.

All controls (and a lot of other things) are.... wild... don't think the previous owners knew what they were doing Wink
8/23/2017 12:50am
Great bike to start a Project from! Always great to see fellow Swedish riders Smile
8/23/2017 2:33am
Arthur357 wrote:
Great bike to start a Project from! Always great to see fellow Swedish riders Smile
Thanks man!
8/24/2017 2:39pm
Tonight I started taking the bike apart.

Also got a hold of an old friend who's gonna help me with some of the powder coating for a good price.

A lot of parts went straight to the trash can while I'm gonna sell some parts. Plastics for example are already sold.

The plan is to get everything cleaned up and parts of for powder coating next week. Hopefully some parts start showing up so I can change the top end, fix the seat etc.

Sorry for the bad picture, need to clean out the work bench Smile

TimR
8/25/2017 11:20am
Cool project! Did the same thing this spring with a -12 yz125. Tore it apart and ended up needing almost everything new, ordered parts for about 25000 sek but now I have a practically new bike!

Följer!
8/25/2017 11:48am
TimR wrote:
Cool project! Did the same thing this spring with a -12 yz125. Tore it apart and ended up needing almost everything new, ordered parts for about...
Cool project! Did the same thing this spring with a -12 yz125. Tore it apart and ended up needing almost everything new, ordered parts for about 25000 sek but now I have a practically new bike!

Följer!
Hi man, sounds awesome, any pics of your build?
My bike's the same, most everything needs to be changed or looked at but hopefully it's worth it in the end Smile

(in swedish) Grymt!
8/25/2017 1:26pm
TimR wrote:
Cool project! Did the same thing this spring with a -12 yz125. Tore it apart and ended up needing almost everything new, ordered parts for about...

Följer!
First package arrived.

Rtech firm seatfoam and FMF gold series Fatty and Shorty silencer.

TimR
8/27/2017 7:40am
TimR wrote:

Följer!
Mike_Frisk wrote:
Hi man, sounds awesome, any pics of your build? My bike's the same, most everything needs to be changed or looked at but hopefully it's worth...
My bike's the same, most everything needs to be changed or looked at but hopefully it's worth it in the end Smile

(in swedish) Grymt!
http://imgur.com/a/jYNNr

Here she is. Going to order a fmf fatty for next season to go with the fmf shorty I have on now, which sounds amazing btw..and loud haha.
8/27/2017 9:12am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2017 9:13am
TimR wrote:

Följer!
Mike_Frisk wrote:
Hi man, sounds awesome, any pics of your build? My bike's the same, most everything needs to be changed or looked at but hopefully it's worth...

(in swedish) Grymt!
TimR wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/jYNNr Here she is. Going to order a fmf fatty for next season to go with the fmf shorty I have on now, which sounds amazing...
http://imgur.com/a/jYNNr

Here she is. Going to order a fmf fatty for next season to go with the fmf shorty I have on now, which sounds amazing btw..and loud haha.
Nice, I like the look of the wheels! Also nice to hear the shorty sounds good, can't wait to hear the fatty/shorty combo on mine Smile
8/28/2017 9:44am
Yesterday I cleaned most of the parts that are going to blasting and powder coating, the frame, the swingarm, trippel clamps, watering cover and some small parts. I still need to take the wheels apart since the hubs is also being powder coated, press the steering stem out and grind the marks from the casting off. Sorry not much for pictures on this yet.

Today I got another few packages
- Full Rtech kit, looks great
- Blue silicone hoses, cheap ones from eBay we'll see how they work...
- Cycra Stadium front number plate, I put this on every bike I own

8/29/2017 11:48pm
Hey guys, quick question.
When I started looking at the engine I noticed the counter shaft (where the front sprocket sits) has some movement in and out. Is this normal?
6/12/2019 2:06am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 2:08am
Ended up having to put this project on hold for a year after losing the place I was gonna do the build at. Finally found a garage this spring and pieced it all together. Here are some quick phone-shots of how it sits right now.

The plastics are R-tech Revolution and the graphics are custom design (by me) matte finish.
Basically everything is new or updated or massaged in some way. It's not perfect (my first build) but I'm pretty happy with it. More info to come.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/12/2019 6:08am
Daaaammmmm those graphics are sweet! whole bike is well put together!
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
6/12/2019 10:14am
Wow- This thing looks awesome! One of the better (best maybe) YZ stroke looks Ive seen!
Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
6/12/2019 10:31am
Great build!
Pirate421
6/12/2019 5:16pm
What did you end up doing for a solution for the subframe mount? It looks like there’s a bolt with a nut instead of the stock bolt threading into the frame. Bike looks amazing. Do stock yz graphics work on the rtech kit too I’ve been looking at that kit for my 250
6/12/2019 11:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2019 6:25am
Pirate421 wrote:
What did you end up doing for a solution for the subframe mount? It looks like there’s a bolt with a nut instead of the stock...
What did you end up doing for a solution for the subframe mount? It looks like there’s a bolt with a nut instead of the stock bolt threading into the frame. Bike looks amazing. Do stock yz graphics work on the rtech kit too I’ve been looking at that kit for my 250
I'll get a closeup for you on the subframe solution in the next couple of days Smile

No I do not think stock graphics work, it's quite different around the tank/shroud area.
rtech supplies the cut file for the updated plastics so a custom set is your best bet. If you would need a graphics done for it feel free to contact me and we can work something out.
Jordan94
6/13/2019 11:23am
Probably the best lookin yz125 I’ve seen!
6/14/2019 1:08am
Jordan94 wrote:
Probably the best lookin yz125 I’ve seen!
Thanks a lot. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Post a reply to: 2008 YZ 125 build - Finished, now with more pictures

The Latest