Where to Start?

5/11/2017 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 10:33am
Hey guys, I am 16. I REALLLYYYY like the idea of taking a bike all the way down to the frame and doing a complete rebuild. I would like to do it with pretty much and 90's two stroke i could get my fingers on. What tools are neccessary for the job. As well as where do you guys start? What are your exact tear down steps? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated.
|
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2530th
5/11/2017 3:51pm
Step 1. Have a spare 5-6k to spend that you would otherwise have set in a pile and burnt.

Step 2. Buy a heap of a bike from a gyppo who's toolbox consisted of mulgrips and a hammer.

Step 3. Consider the engine and chassis as separate projects. Start on and finish the chassis before moving on to the engine, or visa versa, as having a nice clean engine sat waiting will push you to finish the chassis. Tackle each job on the chassis one at a time, rather than dismantling it all at once, as it'll mean you have large chunks of bike sat around rather than lots of boxes of bits.

Step 4. Find all of the bodges and mangled parts from the 20 previous owners.

Step 5. Cry and wish you had just burnt the money rather than take on this project.

Step 6. Repair it all.

Step 7. Build the bike, ride it and plan the next project.

Tools wise a basic kit will do and have other people do certain jobs. Personally I can't do without a press, lathe and mill.
Basic tool kit.
pete24
5/11/2017 5:44pm
youll also need
a blast cab
a torch
nitrogen
a tumbler
a truing stand
and a big mutherfucking five pound case splitting sledge hammer and some big sharp screwdrivers
sandman768
5/11/2017 6:32pm
buy one already done & tell everyone you did it.....you"ll save about 100 hrs of labor & a lot of headaches...
22Ryann
Fantasy
3989th
5/11/2017 8:43pm
You kinda learn as you go, tear down and start from ground up. That's why it's fun

The Shop

5/12/2017 10:09am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 10:10am
22Ryann wrote:
You kinda learn as you go, tear down and start from ground up. That's why it's fun
That's what I did. I bought a complete bike and then burned through a lot of money by tearing it down and making it look older, gawdier, pinker, and purpler.

Be sure to get the maintenance manual for the bike that you buy. The pictures and diagrams help a lot with re assembly.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/12/2017 1:12pm
Mr Happy wrote:
Step 1. Have a spare 5-6k to spend that you would otherwise have set in a pile and burnt. Step 2. Buy a heap of a...
Step 1. Have a spare 5-6k to spend that you would otherwise have set in a pile and burnt.

Step 2. Buy a heap of a bike from a gyppo who's toolbox consisted of mulgrips and a hammer.

Step 3. Consider the engine and chassis as separate projects. Start on and finish the chassis before moving on to the engine, or visa versa, as having a nice clean engine sat waiting will push you to finish the chassis. Tackle each job on the chassis one at a time, rather than dismantling it all at once, as it'll mean you have large chunks of bike sat around rather than lots of boxes of bits.

Step 4. Find all of the bodges and mangled parts from the 20 previous owners.

Step 5. Cry and wish you had just burnt the money rather than take on this project.

Step 6. Repair it all.

Step 7. Build the bike, ride it and plan the next project.

Tools wise a basic kit will do and have other people do certain jobs. Personally I can't do without a press, lathe and mill.
Basic tool kit.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Pretty much this
braaap707
5/12/2017 2:50pm
Stock up on Mr. clean by the gallons ( the green original blend no febreeze additives or other crap) lots of scotch bright pads and steel wool, WD-40 and PB blaster for stuff that doesn't move, acetylene torch for stuff that really doesn't move, Wire wheel to re finish hardware, a small parts cleaner, and a soda blaster to take off old paint,rust,dirt and what ever else is encrusted onto it. Stay organized. Zip lock bags and label them, small boxes label them. Took me almost 2 years to finish my 95 CR125. Most important of all is to have fun with it. I like fixing and restoring them almost as much as i do riding them. Really great feeling when you have a awesome finished product that you created with your own hands.

5/12/2017 5:03pm
I hope money won't be much if an issue for you. If you're sixteen at least you don't have any real bills to pay. I remember those days.

I found a hell of a deal and bought mine for $550 and it just needed a carb rebuild. By the end I think I had about 4k into it, but it was a complete rebuild.

5/12/2017 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 7:31pm
Fantastic looking yz right there. Great job.
JWACK
5/12/2017 7:43pm
Start buying a decent metric tool set. 5.5 to 32mm. You will need double wrenches in the 8-17 sizes so you can use both to hold the bolt while you take a nut off.. Buy the cleanest low hour bike you can afford and get the service manual. The tools you need will take years to gather. Have fun.
ledger
5/12/2017 11:58pm
braaap707 wrote:
Stock up on Mr. clean by the gallons ( the green original blend no febreeze additives or other crap) lots of scotch bright pads and steel...
Stock up on Mr. clean by the gallons ( the green original blend no febreeze additives or other crap) lots of scotch bright pads and steel wool, WD-40 and PB blaster for stuff that doesn't move, acetylene torch for stuff that really doesn't move, Wire wheel to re finish hardware, a small parts cleaner, and a soda blaster to take off old paint,rust,dirt and what ever else is encrusted onto it. Stay organized. Zip lock bags and label them, small boxes label them. Took me almost 2 years to finish my 95 CR125. Most important of all is to have fun with it. I like fixing and restoring them almost as much as i do riding them. Really great feeling when you have a awesome finished product that you created with your own hands.

^^ Woohoo
ledger
5/12/2017 11:58pm
I hope money won't be much if an issue for you. If you're sixteen at least you don't have any real bills to pay. I remember...
I hope money won't be much if an issue for you. If you're sixteen at least you don't have any real bills to pay. I remember those days.

I found a hell of a deal and bought mine for $550 and it just needed a carb rebuild. By the end I think I had about 4k into it, but it was a complete rebuild.

^^Woohoo
Bruneval
5/15/2017 8:13am
Biggest thing you need is knowledge, and that just takes time and effort. Understanding how a bike works is pretty fundamental, and doing things for the first time you run the risk of damaging parts and making mistakes - it's part of learning.

1. Buy a manual and read it back to back. Then do it again.
2. Watch the excellent 'how to' videos on YouTube from RockyMountainATV and the MMI (Shane Coley or something like that).
3. Find yourself a wise old owl who is willing to spend time to teach you, and to help you out when you get stuck.
4. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Try and find something that is as complete and unmolested as you can for your budget. Even bikes that look good initially will require a lot of work/parts when you scratch the surface.
5. If you can, a parts bike is sometimes a good way of keeping the parts spend down. i.e. build 1 good bike out of 2.
6. Penetrating fluid/WD40 and heat is your friend.
7. Clean everything thoroughly before dis-assembly.
8. Take your time. Think everything through.
9. Buy a torque wrench. Do not be heavy handed - aluminium parts and threads shear for fun on old bikes.
K-dubbb
5/15/2017 10:33am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 10:34am
Bruneval wrote:
Biggest thing you need is knowledge, and that just takes time and effort. Understanding how a bike works is pretty fundamental, and doing things for the...
Biggest thing you need is knowledge, and that just takes time and effort. Understanding how a bike works is pretty fundamental, and doing things for the first time you run the risk of damaging parts and making mistakes - it's part of learning.

1. Buy a manual and read it back to back. Then do it again.
2. Watch the excellent 'how to' videos on YouTube from RockyMountainATV and the MMI (Shane Coley or something like that).
3. Find yourself a wise old owl who is willing to spend time to teach you, and to help you out when you get stuck.
4. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Try and find something that is as complete and unmolested as you can for your budget. Even bikes that look good initially will require a lot of work/parts when you scratch the surface.
5. If you can, a parts bike is sometimes a good way of keeping the parts spend down. i.e. build 1 good bike out of 2.
6. Penetrating fluid/WD40 and heat is your friend.
7. Clean everything thoroughly before dis-assembly.
8. Take your time. Think everything through.
9. Buy a torque wrench. Do not be heavy handed - aluminium parts and threads shear for fun on old bikes.
This ^

Although I know you won't read the manual front to back, let alone a couple times..... try to do it in bite size pieces. This is coming from a guy who knew very little (just basic maintenance stuff) and built a bike from the frame up.

What I mean by bite size pieces - try to think of the bike as a series of "systems". And pick your battles as to what systems you want to take on independently...
Brakes are a system......what are the essential components, how do they work and what will you/can you change?
Suspension, another system, that is more than likely a system you want to give someone else to help you with....
The linkage, wheel bearings and pivot points is another system that must be given the proper attention

If you can break it down like this, it can rid the overwhelming feeling and each system can get the attention it deserves.

This will not only increase your knowledge of the total function of a bike but will make it easier for future tracking, diagnostics of issues and ensures that everything is covered and you are on a bike that is not only functional, but safe.
Manbearpig
5/15/2017 12:15pm
Hey guys, I am 16. I REALLLYYYY like the idea of taking a bike all the way down to the frame and doing a complete rebuild...
Hey guys, I am 16. I REALLLYYYY like the idea of taking a bike all the way down to the frame and doing a complete rebuild. I would like to do it with pretty much and 90's two stroke i could get my fingers on. What tools are neccessary for the job. As well as where do you guys start? What are your exact tear down steps? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated.
I love the fact that you are a youngster and wanting to take the dive in a project bike! I was 14 when I tore apart my entire 1989 KX 250 apart including the p.o.s kips powervalve assembly and my dad was pissed when he got home and saw my perfectly running bike in pieces. haha! I just wanted to know how it all worked.

That being said... I would find a bike that runs and needs mostly cosmetic help. I would do a fresh top end regardless. Easy to do and rewarding results. You can find 2 strokes for pretty cheap that look like crap because some idiot cut the fenders or has stickers all over it.

You don't need a lot of tools unless you plan on rebuilding the suspension or splitting the cases.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Good luck!
Manbearpig
5/15/2017 12:17pm
I hope money won't be much if an issue for you. If you're sixteen at least you don't have any real bills to pay. I remember...

Wow!! Love this build. Good work
Manbearpig
5/15/2017 12:27pm

Here is my latest project that i overhauled.
ledger
5/15/2017 2:09pm
Manbearpig wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/15/195418/s1200_20170322_232210.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/15/195419/s1200_20170401_154251.jpg[/img] Here is my latest project that i overhauled.

Wow, beautiful bike, thumbs up on the gold wheels.
Manbearpig
5/15/2017 4:58pm
Manbearpig wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/15/195418/s1200_20170322_232210.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/15/195419/s1200_20170401_154251.jpg[/img] Here is my latest project that i overhauled.

ledger wrote:
Wow, beautiful bike, thumbs up on the gold wheels.
Thanks Ledger. It was a lot of fun.
5/16/2017 12:49am
I have just torn down my first build, i am cleaning up the frame at the moment. I startet off right here, reading a bunch of bike builds and learning alot. I still come back and read stuff that i dont remember 100%.
Even though i have been around my uncle and dad in the garage all the time when they worked on my bikes, so i have learned some stuff that seem obvious to me now, but maybe not as obvious to you.

One simple advice is to stuff or cover the engine intake and where the exhaust goes (whatever that is called) when it is exposed. I usually just stuff some clean paper in there. I have also seen people put plastic over it with rubberband around it to keep it tight.

Another simple advice is to either keep the bolts and nuts in boxes or ziplock bags with labels on them like someone said earlier, or you can just screw them back in where they came from, after you have taken away the part that you wanted (if possible, and wont affect anything else you do like cleaning and stuff).

Take alot of pictures of where things go. You are probably going to think that you will remember where things go, but you wont. I even record a short video where i basicly tell myself where things go, if it is hard to understand just from a picture. Especially where cables from the handlebar goes. The throttle cable is very important, because if it gets squeezed somewhere, it might get stuck when riding and it will be very slow.

Do not overtighten.
Do not loose control of the bolts, and where they go. (if you do you can always look it up in the manual, but it takes alot of time)
Do not expect it to be a quick - few weeks - project.
5/19/2017 11:01am
braaap707 wrote:
Stock up on Mr. clean by the gallons ( the green original blend no febreeze additives or other crap) lots of scotch bright pads and steel...

Why was that bike green.....Huh

Post a reply to: Where to Start?

The Latest