Powder Coating and Annodizing?

Related:
Create New Tag

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning

Vital MX member 2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning
57655 2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning,57655/all 05/11/17 2 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning,57655/setup 6 7

Posts: 13

Joined: 5/11/2017

Location: Caldwell, ID USA

5/15/2017 11:16 AM

What parts on dirt bikes can be annodized, powder coated and painted? Like every single piece.
I know

Powder Coated:
Frame
Bars
Sub Frame
Rims
Hubs
Shock Spring

Annodizing:
Fork uppers and lowers
Shock.

What else can be changed? Such as engine color wise, triple clamp, and other various parts?

elliottmagnus

Vital MX member elliottmagnus
37884 elliottmagnus http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/37884/avatar/c50_323107_2275237130900_6435553_o.jpg?1362354099 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/elliottmagnus,37884/all 03/01/13 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/elliottmagnus,37884/setup 11 122 5 1

Posts: 133

Joined: 3/1/2013

Location: mackay, AUS

5/15/2017 1:24 PM

Basically any part can be powder coated as long as you don't interfere with any internals or tolerances.

I'd stay away from the smaller parts when powder coating and stick to maybe the frame, swing arm rims ect...

As for anodising you can only anodise aluminium/Ti parts from my understanding.

Inner tubes or fork lowers do not send them away to be anodised, your only option there would be either re chroming, TIN or DLC coatings.

Also another option is to ceramic coat yours parts (cerakote) you can coat any material from steel to aluminium to plastic. I've done this process myself and extremely happy with the results

I'm no expert in these fields but hopefully someone else can offer some help to cheers.

Follow me on Instagram "elliottmagnus"

elliottmagnus

Vital MX member elliottmagnus
37884 elliottmagnus http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/37884/avatar/c50_323107_2275237130900_6435553_o.jpg?1362354099 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/elliottmagnus,37884/all 03/01/13 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/elliottmagnus,37884/setup 11 122 5 1

Posts: 133

Joined: 3/1/2013

Location: mackay, AUS

5/15/2017 1:28 PM

Also with anodising your cast aluminium parts such as your stock hubs, triple clamps, calipers ect.. The Finnish won't be bright like it would if you where to anodise a piece of billet such as aftermarket hubs or triple clamps

If your going to anodise these parts stick to black from what I've seen you usually get a pretty consistent colour
Cheers

Follow me on Instagram "elliottmagnus"

Turbojez

Vital MX member Turbojez
48348 Turbojez http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/48348/avatar/c50_DSC_0669_1470385124.jpg?1470384960 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/all 08/05/15 7 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/setup 73 968 17

Posts: 1041

Joined: 8/5/2015

Location: POL

5/16/2017 12:42 AM

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

What parts on dirt bikes can be annodized, powder coated and painted? Like every single piece.
I know

Powder Coated:
Frame
Bars
Sub Frame
Rims
Hubs
Shock Spring

Annodizing:
Fork uppers and lowers
Shock.

What else can be changed? Such as engine color wise, triple clamp, and other various parts?

Rims - anodizing works better than powdercoating and is lighter. Same applies to bars.

Triple clamps can be either anodized or powdercoated.

Anyone have experience with good looking and durable coating to use on 2-stroke pipe???

For sale:
WP Cone Valve small and big axle forks
KXF KYB Factory Technical touch forks, clamps and shock
KTM SX/SXF 11-15 WP Trax shock

Slosh 112

Vital MX member Slosh 112
42684 Slosh 112 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/42684/avatar/c50_IMG_1091_1472545966.jpg?1472545813 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Slosh-112,42684/all 03/31/14 3 25 878 50

Posts: 903

Joined: 3/31/2014

Location: Mackay QLD, AUS

5/18/2017 5:09 PM

Don't powder coat handlebars, first tip over you have the bars will rotate because the clamps will grip on the powder and rip it off the aluminium.

I anodised every aluminium part on my bike apart from the Cylinder (Nikasil plating couldn't be sealed off), swingarm and lower fork lugs.





Cast aluminium is more porous than billet so the anodising sort of soaks in more, All my cast parts were done in black and when they came back they looked sort of dark grey but after hitting the bike with a light coat of silicone spray of wd40 they come up nice and black.

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_



Turbojez

Vital MX member Turbojez
48348 Turbojez http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/48348/avatar/c50_DSC_0669_1470385124.jpg?1470384960 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/all 08/05/15 7 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/setup 73 968 17

Posts: 1041

Joined: 8/5/2015

Location: POL

5/18/2017 11:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2017 12:52 AM

Slosh 112 wrote:

Don't powder coat handlebars, first tip over you have the bars will rotate because the clamps will grip on the powder and rip it off the aluminium.

I anodised every aluminium part on my bike apart from the Cylinder (Nikasil plating couldn't be sealed off), swingarm and lower fork lugs.





Cast aluminium is more porous than billet so the anodising sort of soaks in more, All my cast parts were done in black and when they came back they looked sort of dark grey but after hitting the bike with a light coat of silicone spray of wd40 they come up nice and black.

Hey Slosh, those came out sweet! Enjoyed every page of your build btw, congrats on a beautiful bike.
I see you turned your hubs prior to anodising, did you remove/grind down those four "ribs" that were in the hub?

For sale:
WP Cone Valve small and big axle forks
KXF KYB Factory Technical touch forks, clamps and shock
KTM SX/SXF 11-15 WP Trax shock

Slosh 112

Vital MX member Slosh 112
42684 Slosh 112 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/42684/avatar/c50_IMG_1091_1472545966.jpg?1472545813 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Slosh-112,42684/all 03/31/14 3 25 878 50

Posts: 903

Joined: 3/31/2014

Location: Mackay QLD, AUS

5/19/2017 1:31 AM

Turbojez wrote:

Hey Slosh, those came out sweet! Enjoyed every page of your build btw, congrats on a beautiful bike.
I see you turned your hubs prior to anodising, did you remove/grind down those four "ribs" that were in the hub?

Cheers mate, the RM isnnt finished yet though, she needs a frame transplant now!!!

I skimmed them down on a lathe, Made a slip fit mandel that fits snug in where the bearing goes that was long enough to gab with the 3 Jaw chuck in a lathe and put a tapered centre in the other side to keep it centred. Used a standard cutting tip and manually followed the contours of each. Took about 2 hours each hub, roughing them out then gradually polishing through the grades of wet and dry sand paper then I blast them with super fine crushed glass to get the cast look back into them so the finish was consistent.

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_



TrailDigger

Vital MX member TrailDigger
35442 TrailDigger /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/TrailDigger,35442/all 09/07/12 24 392 17

Posts: 416

Joined: 9/7/2012

Location: Winchendon, MA USA

5/22/2017 12:49 PM

Turbojez wrote:

Rims - anodizing works better than powdercoating and is lighter. Same applies to bars.

Triple clamps can be either anodized or powdercoated.

Anyone have experience with good looking and durable coating to use on 2-stroke pipe???

I've seen a guy cerakote his header.

Same coating used on firearms, lasts a long time. Looks good in black, not sure what other color you'd want?

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

Yzf916

Vital MX member Yzf916
30099 Yzf916 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/30099/avatar/c50_image_1453960796.jpg?1453959977 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Yzf916,30099/all 10/13/11 1 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Yzf916,30099/setup 12 107 61

Posts: 119

Joined: 10/13/2011

Location: USA

5/23/2017 4:57 PM

Will clutch covers hold up if powder coated?

langhammx

Vital MX member langhammx
27612 langhammx http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/27612/avatar/c50_image_1471230632.jpg?1471230447 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/langhammx,27612/all 05/05/11 15 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/langhammx,27612/setup 135 3030 25 3

Posts: 3165

Joined: 5/5/2011

Location: Santa Clarita, CA USA

5/23/2017 8:51 PM

Slosh 112 wrote:

Don't powder coat handlebars, first tip over you have the bars will rotate because the clamps will grip on the powder and rip it off the aluminium.

I anodised every aluminium part on my bike apart from the Cylinder (Nikasil plating couldn't be sealed off), swingarm and lower fork lugs.





Cast aluminium is more porous than billet so the anodising sort of soaks in more, All my cast parts were done in black and when they came back they looked sort of dark grey but after hitting the bike with a light coat of silicone spray of wd40 they come up nice and black.

Turbojez wrote:

Hey Slosh, those came out sweet! Enjoyed every page of your build btw, congrats on a beautiful bike.
I see you turned your hubs prior to anodising, did you remove/grind down those four "ribs" that were in the hub?

Slosh 112 wrote:

Cheers mate, the RM isnnt finished yet though, she needs a frame transplant now!!!

I skimmed them down on a lathe, Made a slip fit mandel that fits snug in where the bearing goes that was long enough to gab with the 3 Jaw chuck in a lathe and put a tapered centre in the other side to keep it centred. Used a standard cutting tip and manually followed the contours of each. Took about 2 hours each hub, roughing them out then gradually polishing through the grades of wet and dry sand paper then I blast them with super fine crushed glass to get the cast look back into them so the finish was consistent.

What year frame do you need ?

Turbojez

Vital MX member Turbojez
48348 Turbojez http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/48348/avatar/c50_DSC_0669_1470385124.jpg?1470384960 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/all 08/05/15 7 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Turbojez,48348/setup 73 968 17

Posts: 1041

Joined: 8/5/2015

Location: POL

5/24/2017 6:01 AM

TrailDigger wrote:

I've seen a guy cerakote his header.

Same coating used on firearms, lasts a long time. Looks good in black, not sure what other color you'd want?

I'm torn between sanblasting, scotchbriting, then torching the welds and spraying in high temp clear coat for this trick look, or simply sending the pipe to nickel plating for a shiny look.
Cerakoating such a big part will probably cost an arm and a leg but I'll ask around. Thanks for the suggestion!

For sale:
WP Cone Valve small and big axle forks
KXF KYB Factory Technical touch forks, clamps and shock
KTM SX/SXF 11-15 WP Trax shock

Skerby

Vital MX member Skerby
38469 Skerby http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/38469/avatar/c50_1655863_10202314619442349_823908387_n_1390862840.jpg?1390862082 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Skerby,38469/all 04/09/13 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Skerby,38469/setup 38 646 10

Posts: 684

Joined: 4/9/2013

Location: SkerbTownVille, WA USA

5/24/2017 10:01 AM

Turbojez wrote:

Rims - anodizing works better than powdercoating and is lighter. Same applies to bars.

Triple clamps can be either anodized or powdercoated.

Anyone have experience with good looking and durable coating to use on 2-stroke pipe???

TrailDigger wrote:

I've seen a guy cerakote his header.

Same coating used on firearms, lasts a long time. Looks good in black, not sure what other color you'd want?

Turbojez wrote:

I'm torn between sanblasting, scotchbriting, then torching the welds and spraying in high temp clear coat for this trick look, or simply sending the pipe to nickel plating for a shiny look.
Cerakoating such a big part will probably cost an arm and a leg but I'll ask around. Thanks for the suggestion!



This stuff actually works really good, I've used a stove bright blue on a YZ pipe and it actually turned out pretty good. The finish is not shiny, but it holds up to heat well and it protects against rust.

I only ever used this stuff to freshen up stock pipes, they sell a black with a little flake in it that looks better than the stock black imo.

TrailDigger

Vital MX member TrailDigger
35442 TrailDigger /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/TrailDigger,35442/all 09/07/12 24 392 17

Posts: 416

Joined: 9/7/2012

Location: Winchendon, MA USA

5/24/2017 10:41 AM

Turbojez wrote:

Rims - anodizing works better than powdercoating and is lighter. Same applies to bars.

Triple clamps can be either anodized or powdercoated.

Anyone have experience with good looking and durable coating to use on 2-stroke pipe???

TrailDigger wrote:

I've seen a guy cerakote his header.

Same coating used on firearms, lasts a long time. Looks good in black, not sure what other color you'd want?

Turbojez wrote:

I'm torn between sanblasting, scotchbriting, then torching the welds and spraying in high temp clear coat for this trick look, or simply sending the pipe to nickel plating for a shiny look.
Cerakoating such a big part will probably cost an arm and a leg but I'll ask around. Thanks for the suggestion!

It would cost a good amount I would assume, but it would probably never come off, wouldn't rust, and can take a beating.

Cerakoted frame would be badass

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

Slosh 112

Vital MX member Slosh 112
42684 Slosh 112 http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/42684/avatar/c50_IMG_1091_1472545966.jpg?1472545813 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/Slosh-112,42684/all 03/31/14 3 25 878 50

Posts: 903

Joined: 3/31/2014

Location: Mackay QLD, AUS

5/25/2017 12:29 PM

langhammx wrote:

What year frame do you need ?

05 - 09.

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_