KX 125 2000 resto

motorob
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2017 9:44am
Hi guys, new to vital. All the way from Scotland. Picked up this KX 125 2000 for £400. Had been sat for years untouched due to engine problems. I started this a few months ago and just decided to start a thread. Most of the work is now done. I don't have a lot of time so slow progress. I'll be posting more pictures later on and a list of things that have been done. This was day one.

|
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
4/19/2017 8:25am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2017 8:26am
Are you putting the 2000 splitfire pro circuit graphics on it that go with that seat? I'd be interested in buying that seat cover from you if not.

Good luck with the build. Nothing wrong with taking it slow.
motorob
4/19/2017 9:09am
731chopper wrote:
Are you putting the 2000 splitfire pro circuit graphics on it that go with that seat? I'd be interested in buying that seat cover from you...
Are you putting the 2000 splitfire pro circuit graphics on it that go with that seat? I'd be interested in buying that seat cover from you if not.

Good luck with the build. Nothing wrong with taking it slow.
That was the plan, I have ordered scrubdesignz take on the splitfire graphics. Not 100% a match. However I'm not using the seat cover for now. It's in surprisingly good condition, due to space in my shed I may look to sell at a later date and if your still interested then ill be sure to give you a shout.
motorob
4/19/2017 10:45am
So... The plan was to replicate the splitfire pc bike. However parts are hard to come by and I have a deadline. It's been many years since I last rode a bike. (1997 cr125) miss that thing. This summer I'm hitting the enduro track that's local to get back into the swing of things. So this will be my practice bike. My next build will be a goodie. I plan to do all the work myself, I'm building a powder coat setup, sand blaster, soda blaster etc. All in a 8ft shed. Haha
Things that's been replaced:
Gearbox. Old selector drum was knackered.
New clutch hub and pressure plate.
New barrel, ported and a new sleeve
Prox piston.
Wheels, sm pro platinum.
Vhm head
304 shorty pipe.
Forks serviced, bushes and seals.
Front and rear brakes serviced
New sprocket and chain.
Replaced all cosmetic bolts.
New hand guards.
New plastics.
Tank repair.

Still to be done.
Pro circuit header.
Back wheel built.
Power valve cover. ( a metal one, not plastic)
Graphics.
Seat cover.
New discs

If any one knows and good little trick with these bikes or places to get parts would be appreciated.

motorob
4/21/2017 8:25am
Postman brought me my graphics today. They are not as nice as the original splitfire ones however they are good enough for the practice bike. Also got me a new clutch disc kit as mine is totaled. Still waiting on the rear wheel, and looking for front and rear discs.

The Shop

22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
4/22/2017 12:27am
Nice mate keep us posted, a lot of odd things on this which is looking like some fun repairs.
motorob
4/22/2017 2:56am
The barrel was chucked and replaced as it's knackered. That tank repair is messy but it's fixed, cut out the old brass insert and plastic welded in anew m6 tee nut. Messy but effective. Any info on bleeding brakes? I know how to do a car but not a bike.
Pirate421
4/22/2017 4:26am
To bleed brakes you can grab a two foot length of fuel hose and put a loop in it to stop air bubbles from being sucked back into the system after you crack the bleeder. Also motion pro and tusk make a bleeder tool that has a check valve in it so air bubbles don't get sucked back in. Some people grab a syringe and back bleed from the bleeder port up to the master cyclinder but I've had trouble in the past finding a syringe that will fit the fuel line that I use. After bleeding the brakes I zip ty the levers closed for a few hours to allow any trapped air left to get out of the system. This process has worked well for me. As far as process goes, put an 8mm wrench on the. Bleeder nut followed by the fuel line hose, keep the nut closed and pour some new fluid in the mc, pump the brakes and then crack the bleeder. Let some fluid out but don't let it get too low (below the fill line) or it will pull air. Close the bleed nut and then add more fluid. Do this until clean fluid comes out of the fuel line and there is no more air bubbles. That's what I do. Someone may have some better advice but works for me!
motorob
4/23/2017 6:56am
Fitted my graphics today, quite tricky but not many bubbles. Been a delay in getting my rear rim so bike is one footed for longer. Bike is heavy and awkward with just the front wheel. Still to replace clutch plates and bleed brakes, my front rotor is major warps.
Any idea on where the front number guard tab thing goes? There isn't any place to clip it on.

4/23/2017 1:14pm
After coming to terms with the fact that my set up above looked a little goofy I decided to remedy it. If we had cross bars we could just loop the tab on there without any problem.

I ended up drilling a second hole to run the zip tie through and it allows me to pull the tab down tighter.

Kianio7
4/23/2017 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 1:49pm
liking the thread so far i plan to try and buy a similar condition of bike in the summer for around the same price for a project im in northern ireland Smile
motorob
4/23/2017 2:09pm
Yea I think I'll have a look and drill some holes. It's been a really good bike to work on. Not a lot was knackered and it's in surprisingly good nick, minus the exhaust. I know a guy with an rm 250 sitting rotting in a garden. Hoping to strike a deal....
4/23/2017 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 4:56pm
Thats cool, my yz was similar. I got a good deal and it really only needed minimal work. I'm going to have to do a Kx 125 eventually. There were way too many cool looking kx's throughout the years.
Kianio7
4/24/2017 4:53am
i dont know how someone could just leave a bike such as an rm250 rotting in there back garden id eat shit for such a bike !
motorob
4/24/2017 5:33am
I know, they don't deserve a bike. Thing will be in nasty shape, but I'll take it cheap.
Kianio7
4/24/2017 11:20am
if you can get it cheap it should be a good winter project
motorob
4/29/2017 4:26am
Small up date, got me some new discs, look much better than the standard jobbies. Got it all bolted together and bled, however, my lever still feels a bit spongy. I have the fluid coming out the nipple nice and clear no bubbles. But it just don't feel right. The caliper and master have just been rebuilt with new seals and pistons the lot. It's been so long since I've been on a bike it could be fine. It stops the wheel. But without my back wheel I can't be rolling it about for a good test. Anyway. Some pics. Lastly the white brake line cover in the photo. Is it possible to get them in black? Ta

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
4/30/2017 11:32am
A lot of people cut off that part of the front number plate that wraps around the crossbar pad. I cut mine off with scissors along the natural line of the plate which is what I believe most of the teams did in the past.

Sometimes you have to bleed the brakes quite a bit to get the firmness back in my experience. Even if you don't have any air bubbles coming out while bleeding, just keep doing it if you haven't gotten the firmness back.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
4/30/2017 1:45pm
The loop around the bar pad can serve a purpose. I've had a brake line move behind the number board and get hooked over the top yoke. The bike had a guide, the same as Cycra supply, fitted to the OEM board. Replacing it with original parts fixed it, although it's something to be mindful of when fitting one of those stadium plates.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
4/30/2017 2:21pm
Mr Happy wrote:
The loop around the bar pad can serve a purpose. I've had a brake line move behind the number board and get hooked over the top...
The loop around the bar pad can serve a purpose. I've had a brake line move behind the number board and get hooked over the top yoke. The bike had a guide, the same as Cycra supply, fitted to the OEM board. Replacing it with original parts fixed it, although it's something to be mindful of when fitting one of those stadium plates.
That's a good point about the front brake line possibly getting hooked.
5/2/2017 4:59am
I picked up a 99 in much the same condition, missing a cylinder though. Been trying to find nice bits for it, only found a Ohlins rear shock so far. Where did you find the VHM head from, can't seem to find one anywhere.

motorob
5/2/2017 5:36am
reggie426 wrote:
I picked up a 99 in much the same condition, missing a cylinder though. Been trying to find nice bits for it, only found a Ohlins...
I picked up a 99 in much the same condition, missing a cylinder though. Been trying to find nice bits for it, only found a Ohlins rear shock so far. Where did you find the VHM head from, can't seem to find one anywhere.

Looks rather clean, loving the rear shock, where did you find that beaut. The vhm head was a impulse buy on flea-bay haven't seen another one since. Don't even think they make them any more. I'm struggling to find find metal frame protectors. I have loads of spare but I doubt any will be good for you. Mainly plastics and a spare gearbox.
5/2/2017 5:53am
Getting clean, when I picked it up for $400 AUD it looked like it had been ridden for weeks in red mud then just put away in the shed. The bottom end seems good and there's a PC pipe and shorty with it. The shock I found on a trading website (Gumtree) from a guy on the east coast of Aus who was wrecking a 99 125, I missed out on the cylinder but couldn't pass up on the shock for $200 AUD.

I'm thinking of going all white with the plastics then some Redbull/Kawasaki/Pro Circuit graphics I saw from a race bike once.
motorob
5/2/2017 10:31am
I've got the 304 shorty. Still looking for a header. I regret putting it together too quickly. I wish I could have stripped everything and cleaned it all. But hey itching to ride the thing. Having major issues bleeding the front brake. I cannot seem to get any pressure in the lever, still going right back to the bar. I've been at it now for about an hour with no change.
motorob
5/2/2017 10:39pm
reggie426 wrote:
Maybe the brake line is stuffed?
That was my guess, however before it was all stripped the brake made more pressure. I have heard it can be a pain but for me this is taking the biscuit! I'll persevere for now until I get sick.
motorob
5/13/2017 11:34am
Hello again chaps, I have finally got my back wheel assembled, the bike is looking good. ( in my eyes) some small issues. Can't get pressure in back brake. Tried back bleeding, that one way valve method, keeping pressure on the lever over night, and the usual open close method. Still no luck. But that's nothing compared to my luck with the clutch, since starting the build, the pressure plate was snapped,so I got a new one, I then snapped my clutch hub trying to tighten it. So I got a new one... today I thought I'd fit my new plates and springs. Well low and behold, my brand new proX hub now has a blot snapped inside it. ( the one to hold the clutch springs down) does anyone have any tips on removing a broken stud? I really don't want to buy another one. One step forward 2 steps back. ( that should be my tread title) any help is greatly appreciated.

Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
5/13/2017 11:58am
Wind a bolt in behind it from the other side and you should be able to gently tease it out. Did this for someone that did exactly the same thing. If that fails a left hand drill bit and a slow speed setting on the drill.
5/13/2017 12:03pm
I'm dealing with a similar situation with a stripped bolt head on my front brake disk. I was going to try to find a reverse threaded self tapping bolt to screw in and then when I continue to crank on it it should break loose eventually. You could try that. Bike looks good! I would get some frame guards to protect that paint.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
5/13/2017 12:11pm
I'm dealing with a similar situation with a stripped bolt head on my front brake disk. I was going to try to find a reverse threaded...
I'm dealing with a similar situation with a stripped bolt head on my front brake disk. I was going to try to find a reverse threaded self tapping bolt to screw in and then when I continue to crank on it it should break loose eventually. You could try that. Bike looks good! I would get some frame guards to protect that paint.
If it's a through hole try as I suggested above. If it's the head that has rounded just hammer a smaller socket on and use a windy gun. What you're thinking of exists, stud extractors, although there are other options before resorting to those.

Post a reply to: KX 125 2000 resto

The Latest