Franken YZ250 "2006"

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2017 2:11pm
Dunno what year this bike is, since everything is from different years, but because frame is 2006, I guess that is most accurate label? My goal was low budget, we are building a country house, so go all mental with cost would end up in a divorce. Goal was around 2k (it stopped counting after a while, so I don't want to go there, but less than 3k at least)

So I had tons of stuff, like subframe, seat, tank, pegs, shifters, plastics, wheels, rims, muffler (OEM), electrics, hoses, KYB SSS forks (2009) and shock, Öhlins TTX (2010) and much more and I stumble on this 2002 mill from this other Swedish guy building the YZ290F and I was in agony, because I just sold a rather complete 2003 restore, that I was so happy over, but cash was needed for a boat. So a working 2002 mill for $500 with electrics was a steal. Now I just needed a frame, swing arm, air box, linkage, radiators, wheel axles, brakes, exhaust, new plastics, tons of bolts, graphics, some wiring and holders for the aluminum frame. Ebay is the shit, but then the dollar went berserk, what costed me $100, now costed $150, but I went all in. Steve (Motohose) was the middle man, since some seller didn't ship to Sweden, so he was collecting tons of stuff, until I felt bad for Steve (he's an amazing guy). So send it man, he had collected a 2006 frame, with linkage, and some wiring, an 2009 wrf450 swingarm (same as 2009-2017) rear brake 2015 yz250, front brake kx250f 2005 they all work, just caliper issues, and FMF shorty muffler, 2017 wider pegs.

Then I went shopping for months, looking for bargains, ended up with with AFAM wheels with gold excel rims, GYTR-rotor, BUD carbon muffler (I already had an FMF, but carbon is tits) GPI oversized radiators.

I bought the gold rims, because I was thinking it's a bit different, they all go black, so using a fellow Vitard members tits 2005 YZ250 I did a design test in photo choppa.

I felt the gold was different, so that's the reason why I bought the AFAM hubs with gold excel rims.

Wheels from England. I feel tires are important, and once I tried Pirelli, I can newer use anything else.

This engine need work.

This was a bitch, and end result was mkay, but I didn't feel it was that important, and since I will put on used wheels etc, it will appear used anyway (and I'm cheap).
Steve (Lumpy/Motohose) sends a teaser from the US.

Box has travelled domestic in the US, over then over Atlantic, ends up in my car. Pretty cool in a way. One needs to appreciate stuff like this.

In my garage, pew. Swing arm looks like shit though, salt? Something has eaten the paint. What to do?

Pew, sandpaper and some rubbing, will see how it looks in a few mos. New bearing kit. Those were of course toasted.

What a feeling, shit is happening. I know NOTHING about the engine. Piston looks good (supposed to have a few hours, but you know), everything turns around. This is the first time ever, I don't put in a new piston in a used bike. I feel tired...

New sprockets, chain, new linkage bearings, new triple clamp bearings. Swing arm axle needs to be for the aluminum frames, since it's wider than the steel. It came with the swing arm, was rusty, had to polish it. Öhlins TTX, Renthal Fatbar mounts and Renthal RC High (my favorite bars since I'm 6'1). New chain guides.

Closer.
https://youtu.be/jCGlEbceG7Q Third kick after sitting for a few years? 2006 wiring, 2002 mill. Anything could go wrong. Amazing.

BAM!!! The pipe is dented, I photoshopped it to make it look better. I don't stuff to blow it out. But it's a DOMA, which I dig, so I will fix it later. I took hours to polished it. I had been sitting outdoors for a while, but it was cheap!

I like what BUD does. Light, good bottom wromp, good sound.

Premier this weekend. Braaap! Love it. Riding a 250 two stroke for a vet B sucks speed wise period, but the sound, the feeling, EPIC.

Seat cover is hand made. Seat foam is harder, and higher. New clutch, cables. I now need to fine tune some stuff, like there's some bind with the GYTR rotor and bracket, some fork leak, but I did two motos with joy. And pretty amazing when you build up a bike, every nut and bolt tighten to spec, all oiled and greased (best grease possible) and it feels so tight, like new. Just that is priceless.

Polished pipe gets colored by heat. Braaap!
|
Pirate421
4/25/2017 7:07pm
Awesome. Definitely has to be satisfying. I know mine is knowing I built everything, that's what it's all about. I could read these all day.
DrSweden
4/26/2017 1:15pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Awesome. Definitely has to be satisfying. I know mine is knowing I built everything, that's what it's all about. I could read these all day.
True dat. And if someone has anxiety or whatever, building your bike up, YOU know it's legit! Woohoo

The Shop

Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
4/27/2017 11:00am
Nice work on a budget build. I like it.

Any more info on the hand made seat? I might want to get a seat cover modified and am interested if there is someone in sweden that can do this.

Also I have a friend in the US and want to do the same with parts that you did, he is happy to collect the parts and send them to me. Which shipping method did you use? Cost? Did you pay import duty?

Thanks
DrSweden
4/28/2017 4:06pm
Badd127 wrote:
Nice work on a budget build. I like it. Any more info on the hand made seat? I might want to get a seat cover modified...
Nice work on a budget build. I like it.

Any more info on the hand made seat? I might want to get a seat cover modified and am interested if there is someone in sweden that can do this.

Also I have a friend in the US and want to do the same with parts that you did, he is happy to collect the parts and send them to me. Which shipping method did you use? Cost? Did you pay import duty?

Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/sch/r.b.seatcovers/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_fro…

Seat cover was made in the US.

Shipping is hard to answer, USPS international is what I use. Sending a wheel is about $50. Sign up for Ebay, and you will get a feeling. The big box with frame etc, costed $200 to send. But it was heavy, about 20 kg. Usually a big box with frame and a few items is about $110.

Graphics was free shipping, wheels from England...

Happy hunting!
mingham97
4/29/2017 12:10am
Hey mate can you post a photo of your bike carrier set up? It looks like its on a small car?
4/29/2017 4:37am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 4:38am
Really good job in collecting parts, and the result is perfect! Loved to hear my old smoker in that clip, we must meet at the track sometime and switch bikes!
DrSweden
5/1/2017 1:33pm
Really good job in collecting parts, and the result is perfect! Loved to hear my old smoker in that clip, we must meet at the track...
Really good job in collecting parts, and the result is perfect! Loved to hear my old smoker in that clip, we must meet at the track sometime and switch bikes!
Ha, we will for sure! Smile
DrSweden
5/1/2017 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2017 2:11pm
mingham97 wrote:
Hey mate can you post a photo of your bike carrier set up? It looks like its on a small car?

This is my setup. The carrier is build by some small company, they almost always look the same. A square shape, and then two metal blocks around the hitch (one block is attached on the carrier, and it has 3: M12 (?) pins, and you put the other block on the other side of the hitch and attach the three bolts. Swedish hitch looks like a dick, with a ball on a stick sort of design, the blocks have a spheric space between them for the head of the hitch to be squeezed (yeah baby).

This is a carrier I bought in the US, I had to cut and rebuild it, because it was faulty from my standpoint, way much pressure on the hitch, it was about 30 cm from the car, build for two carriers next to each other, like 400 lbs on the hitch?
Seriously? Becomes like a lever in all directions, creating play and wear on the hitch, and what about chassie? And bike is strapped down on the carrier which adds to the above. Instead you put one strap so the bike is seated properly on the carrier, but then you put two straps to the the rails from the handlebar. This adds some load there, and you can also make the bike way firmer in the attachment to the car. Like when you turn, you don't feel the almost wobbling because of the bike moves around.

This is how it was delivered. Imagine the hitch and feeling driving this freak?

Well...

Post a reply to: Franken YZ250 "2006"

The Latest