Bike Build Thread Rules?

MOTO120
I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for even posting this but here goes nothing....

How about some general guidelines for bike build threads? In an attempt to not clutter this cool new section up with "look at my new grips and graphics build", what might be some "gentleman" agreed upon rules? What might classify your thinking of a "build" to be thread worthy? Is putting on graphics and a Hinson clutch cover worthy of its own thread? I simply ask this because I truly enjoy coming to this section and reading/looking thru the tru builds...bringing a bike back from the dead...I don't care to see your new graphics (sorry, I'm an ass I know).

Anyways, thoughts?
|
GregDVT
11/7/2016 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2016 12:38pm
If you haven't shed blood, sweat, or tears over it, it doesn't belong here.
Motofinne
11/7/2016 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2016 12:48pm
I think the only rules should be a quick story about the bike and the "objectives" for the build with at least 5 qualitative pictures of it. That is the least we should expect from a "build"

But i see your point. We already have a "Bike check" section. This section could actually be a very cool place for "real"(what ever that means) builds. Not only a FMF slip on and nice graphics.
11/7/2016 2:47pm
GregDVT wrote:
I agree 1000%
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
11/7/2016 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2016 7:13pm
I have to disagree sorry. To some people new tires, plastic, graphics, " grips", and a top end is to the extent of what they have or can build at the moment. Quick craigslist turn around 125 rider or something like that. Basically what some one is proud of taking something not nice and making it nice again. I dunno just my .02. There are enough rules in place in this world much less on a build forum.

The Shop

MOTO120
11/8/2016 4:33am
CrGuy2T wrote:
I have to disagree sorry. To some people new tires, plastic, graphics, " grips", and a top end is to the extent of what they have...
I have to disagree sorry. To some people new tires, plastic, graphics, " grips", and a top end is to the extent of what they have or can build at the moment. Quick craigslist turn around 125 rider or something like that. Basically what some one is proud of taking something not nice and making it nice again. I dunno just my .02. There are enough rules in place in this world much less on a build forum.
I will agree with you in that monetary value has ZERO to do with this. With that said though, it takes little to no money to pull a motor from the frame, blast/wash the frame, and begin the ground-up build. I personally like to see the skill and dedication put into these real builds...I'm pretty sure every registered user of Vital knows how to install graphics, grips, and tires...no real skill involved there (loosely saying). Agree...rules suck and we are about to find out who our new ruler is later tonight Sick
stevo450
11/9/2016 7:11am
Hmm interesting thoughts.... I can see both points being made... I personally think that bike should be tear downs, complete ground up restorations or super modded bikes...for example an AF conversion or a well thought out 'throw back' bike.

On the same token, some may think new graphics, and some bolt on 'go fast' bling deserves a thread... Which they can post but it won't get much in the way of commentary...

I think this needs to be kept to individuals 'works' bikes. There are plenty of sections to cater for all the bikes...
11/9/2016 11:15am
If you want to show your beloved pride and joy, what ever you have done on it - show us!
It's also not just about show, lots of help to be found here.

Come on, chill out.. Sick
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
11/9/2016 11:44am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2016 11:45am
If you want to show your beloved pride and joy, what ever you have done on it - show us! It's also not just about show...
If you want to show your beloved pride and joy, what ever you have done on it - show us!

You hit the nail on the head! Honesty every bike on here mine included are just something taken apart and put back together. I I mean really everything on all our bikes are 90% bolt on parts. Just because some one puts an A kit really does that matter? NO, or I sent my engine to so and so, but joe blow built his in the garage. Who cares! It's just about putting a bike together or reserrecting it from the dead to make a nice bike. Just because someone might go a little step more than someone else depends make the other guys bike not worthy. Personally the 3-500 craigslist riders are the best. Anyone can throw money at a bike and say Oh mine is the best yours is worthy.
MOTO120
11/9/2016 12:06pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
You hit the nail on the head! Honesty every bike on here mine included are just something taken apart and put back together. I I mean...
You hit the nail on the head! Honesty every bike on here mine included are just something taken apart and put back together. I I mean really everything on all our bikes are 90% bolt on parts. Just because some one puts an A kit really does that matter? NO, or I sent my engine to so and so, but joe blow built his in the garage. Who cares! It's just about putting a bike together or reserrecting it from the dead to make a nice bike. Just because someone might go a little step more than someone else depends make the other guys bike not worthy. Personally the 3-500 craigslist riders are the best. Anyone can throw money at a bike and say Oh mine is the best yours is worthy.
I agree, you hit the nail on the head! I as well like seeing the $300-$500 craigslist specials beings brought back from the dead...from the frame up. I agree that anyone can spend $50 to $5000 on bolt-on parts...now big deal, that's easy. I can very easily look thru magazines or online shops to see all the new gadgets I could simply buy...and within an hour install on any bike....I don't care to come to this section to see that. I personally like to see the dedication, craftsmanship, thought process, and determination behind true "builds"....none of which are required to install new graphics, new grips, an exhaust, or a set of handlebars.
11/9/2016 1:18pm
If you want to show your beloved pride and joy, what ever you have done on it - show us! It's also not just about show...

X2
JWACK
11/9/2016 2:09pm
My opinion is that putting on graphics and a seat cover straight without bubbles and wrinkles is much tougher and requires more effort than sending out parts to get coated.
11/9/2016 3:03pm
JWACK wrote:
My opinion is that putting on graphics and a seat cover straight without bubbles and wrinkles is much tougher and requires more effort than sending out...
My opinion is that putting on graphics and a seat cover straight without bubbles and wrinkles is much tougher and requires more effort than sending out parts to get coated.
Hahaha he's right! Grinning
Slosh 112
11/10/2016 1:31am
GregDVT wrote:
Ive done plenty of all of them during my build haha.

Probably one rule that we could all agree on is thread hijacking... dont see it often though.

Post a reply to: Bike Build Thread Rules?

The Latest