97 Yz125 Resto

pmshortt2
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 10:02am
Didn't get my first dirtbike till last July. Bought it for $1100, older guy and his son. Seemed very honest and genuine, apparently completely rebuilt bottom end. I rode it from Late July until mid November, the splines on the shifter shaft had worn so badly I had to replace it. Had never done it before but my manual helped a lot!

Anyways I went to ride it again at the beginning of December. Rode for about 15 minutes, cut it off to take a break, went to start it...kick, kick, CLANK. The kickstart shaft broke. So I decided before anymore BS like this happens I'm just going to go through the whole bike and it's going to be a fun, learning experience and at the end of it I'll have a brand new 1999 Yz125.

I don't fall near as much as I did when I first got it so I should be able to keep it clean. Anyways I finally started tearing it apart tonight. I work 2 jobs Monday to Friday so you won't see much during the week. My only free time is weekends. Gonna post pictures of my progress each week.

I do not plan on doing any engine work internally besides replacing my kickstart assembly. The bottom end is fresh (apparently) and the top end seems fine. But I do plan on cosmetically making the engine look brand new.

I want to get the frame blasted and power coated either black or silver. I'm going to replace every little bolt with a nice fresh OEM bolt. The whole shabang. My friend helped me rebuild my Forks with new Factory connection springs for my weight and new seals and wipers. So I'm gonna send my rear shock to Factory connection to get the works.

Anyways here's some pics. Cool
|

The Shop

pmshortt2
1/23/2017 4:16am
Are you sure that isn't a 97? It looks like the 97 plastic. I like the darker navy blue. It might be harder to track down...
Are you sure that isn't a 97? It looks like the 97 plastic. I like the darker navy blue. It might be harder to track down though.
The guy I bought it from had it listed as a 98 so I thought it was a 98 for the longest time until I looked up the VIN which is when it came up as a 99. Wink
Banana_oil
1/23/2017 1:15pm
Nice bike! Sure looks like a 97, look up the VIN at oem-cycle.com.

Regardless year those bikes have great engine and are very good looking in my opinion. Good luck with the build!
1/24/2017 2:21pm
Navy Colored frame and plastic was 1997 . The 1996 had navy colored tank and seat.
Thats the only 2 years whit navy blue color. From 1998 the the blue color was Reflex blue
pmshortt2
1/25/2017 6:41pm
Are you sure that isn't a 97? It looks like the 97 plastic. I like the darker navy blue. It might be harder to track down...
Are you sure that isn't a 97? It looks like the 97 plastic. I like the darker navy blue. It might be harder to track down though.
You were right. Just looked up the vin it's a 97. Guy I bought it from said it was 98. On the side of the air box frame someone wrote "99 Yz125." So that's why I thought it was lol. Kinda cool that it's 2 years older though. Cool
pmshortt2
1/25/2017 6:42pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Nice bike! Sure looks like a 97, look up the VIN at oem-cycle.com. Regardless year those bikes have great engine and are very good looking in...
Nice bike! Sure looks like a 97, look up the VIN at oem-cycle.com.

Regardless year those bikes have great engine and are very good looking in my opinion. Good luck with the build!
It came up as a 97 haha. My bad. Cool to know it's actually a 97. VIN was JYA4XMW07VA006368. I'm glad you guys called that out. Grinning
pmshortt2
1/25/2017 6:43pm
Navy Colored frame and plastic was 1997 . The 1996 had navy colored tank and seat. Thats the only 2 years whit navy blue color. From...
Navy Colored frame and plastic was 1997 . The 1996 had navy colored tank and seat.
Thats the only 2 years whit navy blue color. From 1998 the the blue color was Reflex blue
It's a 97 PinchGrinning
1/26/2017 4:38am
The 97 color was only around for a couple years so I would keep it that way. The plastic you have looks like it's in good shape too.

pmshortt2
1/26/2017 5:06am
The 97 color was only around for a couple years so I would keep it that way. The plastic you have looks like it's in good...
The 97 color was only around for a couple years so I would keep it that way. The plastic you have looks like it's in good shape too.

I wish I could find old school Yz graphics like that. And sadly the plastics are all scratched up mostly. I know it looks better in pictures. And the fact that 96-97 was the only years with the navy colored frame makes me want to go with that color powder coat for the frame WhistlingCool also my girlfriend got me all new Acerbis plastics for a 99 yz125. I'm pretty sure it should be the same as a 97, but I could be wrong. Unsure
pmshortt2
1/26/2017 5:10am
You're all also probably wondering why I haven't attacked the front yet, at least take the wheel off right? One of my axle pinch bolts broke off when I was overtightening it like a month or 2 ago. I also have a bolt on my triple clamp that is broke off. My buddy is really good with that kind of stuff (drilling out) so I'm gonna let him do that for me, as I don't want to mess it up even more. Working on dirtbikes is definitely not like my trucks, you DO NOT tighten the shit out of a 10mm bolt Grinning I learned the hard way.
pmshortt2
2/13/2017 8:33pm

Finally got around to taking a little more of this thing apart tonight and last night. Finally got the radiator and engine removed. The only reason I haven't removed the handlebars is because I'm struggling to remove the throttle cable from the carb throttle tube. Going to give it another try this weekend. It's definitely some finicky shit.

Anyways, all I gotta do now is remove the forks, triple clamps, a couple other small things, and then she's off to get powder coated. My rear shock is on it's way to Factory Connection in PA right now to get rebuilt for and estimate of $400 Smile

Anyone know a really good way to clean up the engine really good and get it to look like new? I bought two cans of engine degreaser so I guess I'll use that and some brushes. Should I not use a wire brush because that could scratch the case all up? Anyways, really excited for the build, and can't wait to have this thing back to life!
2/14/2017 1:26am
I used a scotch bright pad and wd 40 to clean mine up. It works really good just to clean it up. You can polish the parts with it if you want , but I just used it to clean.

I would invest in a torque wrench if I were you. A lot of the specs on the bolts aren't very tight. I think the triple clamps were only 14 ft lbs.

If you have the money you can have graphics made. I got lucky and found some old 93 tank graphics, but had split designs do the airbox stickers.
pmshortt2
2/14/2017 5:29am
I used a scotch bright pad and wd 40 to clean mine up. It works really good just to clean it up. You can polish the...
I used a scotch bright pad and wd 40 to clean mine up. It works really good just to clean it up. You can polish the parts with it if you want , but I just used it to clean.

I would invest in a torque wrench if I were you. A lot of the specs on the bolts aren't very tight. I think the triple clamps were only 14 ft lbs.

If you have the money you can have graphics made. I got lucky and found some old 93 tank graphics, but had split designs do the airbox stickers.
I'll probably go with the scotch brite method. And definitely getting a torque wrench since I broke 3 bolts that I had to drill out last weekend Laughing I'm probably gonna get graphics made. Do you know how I can get the gas tank to look brand new? And where's a good place to buy all new bolts?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/14/2017 8:37am
are you going to update the front end at all? I have a 98 YZ250 that I bought 07 YZ250F clamps for and I also bought 05 YZ forks for. I just had to have the stem from the 98 clamps pressed into the 07 clamps and everything went together pretty good. I just need to get a newer front wheel in order to use the 07 250F axle since the 07 250F clamps are a little bit wider. I'll post a picture of it tonight.
2/14/2017 9:30am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I'll probably go with the scotch brite method. And definitely getting a torque wrench since I broke 3 bolts that I had to drill out last...
I'll probably go with the scotch brite method. And definitely getting a torque wrench since I broke 3 bolts that I had to drill out last weekend Laughing I'm probably gonna get graphics made. Do you know how I can get the gas tank to look brand new? And where's a good place to buy all new bolts?
There is a way to get rid of the scratches. You have to wet sand the tank with really fine sand paper. I've never done it, but you could find info by googling about tank refurbishes.

You can always get new bolts on ebay there are a lot of people parting bikes out.
pmshortt2
2/14/2017 9:30am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
are you going to update the front end at all? I have a 98 YZ250 that I bought 07 YZ250F clamps for and I also bought...
are you going to update the front end at all? I have a 98 YZ250 that I bought 07 YZ250F clamps for and I also bought 05 YZ forks for. I just had to have the stem from the 98 clamps pressed into the 07 clamps and everything went together pretty good. I just need to get a newer front wheel in order to use the 07 250F axle since the 07 250F clamps are a little bit wider. I'll post a picture of it tonight.
No plans on updating the front end. Don't want to spend anymore than I have to, and just want a brand new looking 97 yz125 to ride until I get good enough to get a 250 4 stroke one day
pmshortt2
2/14/2017 9:34am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I'll probably go with the scotch brite method. And definitely getting a torque wrench since I broke 3 bolts that I had to drill out last...
There is a way to get rid of the scratches. You have to wet sand the tank with really fine sand paper. I've never done it...
There is a way to get rid of the scratches. You have to wet sand the tank with really fine sand paper. I've never done it, but you could find info by googling about tank refurbishes.

You can always get new bolts on ebay there are a lot of people parting bikes out.
I'll have to look into that. And spec bolt seems to be the best to me. Prices and quantity seem pretty great. Gonna end up ordering a couple OEM motor mount bolts though. Thanks buddy.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/14/2017 8:28pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
are you going to update the front end at all? I have a 98 YZ250 that I bought 07 YZ250F clamps for and I also bought...
pmshortt2 wrote:
No plans on updating the front end. Don't want to spend anymore than I have to, and just want a brand new looking 97 yz125 to...
No plans on updating the front end. Don't want to spend anymore than I have to, and just want a brand new looking 97 yz125 to ride until I get good enough to get a 250 4 stroke one day
Haha ya I understand that! I actually found clamps for $75 and forks for $225 on eBay. Factory Effex makes the oem replica graphics for the 96-01 yz's. I'm going to get some for my 98. I think they are around $45?

Here's my 98 250

pmshortt2
2/15/2017 4:44am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
pmshortt2 wrote:
No plans on updating the front end. Don't want to spend anymore than I have to, and just want a brand new looking 97 yz125 to...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Haha ya I understand that! I actually found clamps for $75 and forks for $225 on eBay. Factory Effex makes the oem replica graphics for the...
Haha ya I understand that! I actually found clamps for $75 and forks for $225 on eBay. Factory Effex makes the oem replica graphics for the 96-01 yz's. I'm going to get some for my 98. I think they are around $45?

Here's my 98 250

Beautiful bike Shocked I can't wait for mine to look like that. It just looks so fresh haha. I should be getting my friends 03 yz125 after this one is done. His just needs a top end but I'm gonna restore it too. Wouldn't mind getting some different forks or something for that project Grinning
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/15/2017 7:06am
pmshortt2 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Haha ya I understand that! I actually found clamps for $75 and forks for $225 on eBay. Factory Effex makes the oem replica graphics for the...

Here's my 98 250

pmshortt2 wrote:
Beautiful bike :ohmy: I can't wait for mine to look like that. It just looks so fresh haha. I should be getting my friends 03 yz125...
Beautiful bike Shocked I can't wait for mine to look like that. It just looks so fresh haha. I should be getting my friends 03 yz125 after this one is done. His just needs a top end but I'm gonna restore it too. Wouldn't mind getting some different forks or something for that project Grinning
Thank you, sir! I'm looking forward to what it will look like when its finished.

Man, I had an 03 125 and I miss it every day. I regret selling it. Whatever you do, buy it but never get rid of it!

Post a reply to: 97 Yz125 Resto

The Latest