300SX Beach race/hill climb/drag racer.

Slosh 112
Ok so I've got a new project and lets just say its a bitsa. The parts that are going to make up this bike span 3 different model years...

I've gone halves in this one with my mate, we were watching the Grasstree beach races last year and we both wanted to have a go so we decided to pool our efforts and go halves in a bike project. So basically we picked this thing up as an unfinished project that they guy lost interest in. Its a 2007 250SX-F frame, wheel sets, forks and body work with a 2000 0r 2002 (not sure) swing arm, rear shock and radiators. Power plant wise we got two engines with this basket case, a 2002 250SX and a 2000 300EXC. Theres lots of other mixed in parts between the three models but thats the most important items any way.

So this wont be a motocross bike ever again, its main job will be to go as fast as possible in a straight line on a dirt drag strip and up a hill and also to compete in a local flat track beach race we have locally every year. The beach races is the main race it will be built for, its held once a year on a beach at low tide and there are basically two sets of barricades set up on the flat wet sand, one is level with the start line and timing hut and the other is moved out to different distances after each round, 250m 500m & 750M. We will be competing in the 250 - 300cc two stroke class.

Bear with us, this is the first KTM either of us have owned but this is what it looked like when we picked it up. We paid $350 dollars for the whole thing and 4 boxes of parts so yeah...

More pictures to come, We are about 2 months into the project and well into teardown and manufacturing of parts to make this shambles of a bike fit together just gotta get some more pictures on the phone.
|
1/24/2017 4:54am
I love the air forks.

Good luck mate. Interested to see the progress and results!
Oskiie87
1/24/2017 6:24am
Finally a thread! Very interesting build, keep it up!
Slosh 112
1/25/2017 1:32am
I love the air forks.

Good luck mate. Interested to see the progress and results!
Lightweight tho! cheers man.

The Shop

Slosh 112
1/25/2017 2:28am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2017 2:58am
Its gonna be a fun build but after loosley going through the parts we have and the parts we dont its going to be a bit of a headache. When we first got it and had all these schmick plans to spend 15 grand on it things were going to just happen. we've got a budget now...

Soo by now we've decided to build a 300. We were going to build a 250 simply because the 300 was missing a cylinder head and power valve covers. But after going through a few things we decided not to waste our time on a 250, so we ordered 2 of the 3 power valve covers as we will be blanking off the Torque Chamber as its only really usefully at or below 3000RPM. Got a Wossner piston and a Pro - X crank shaft rebuild kit & 2nd hand cylinder head. Going to measure squish and send the Cylinder off for porting and replating and the head will get cut at the same time.

300 cylinder... its flogged. But its getting replated.

Both motors share exactly the same crank cases, inner clutch cover, water pump & clutch. I'm not sure on gear box ratio's but I'd guess that the 300 has wider ratio's. I'll have a bit of a gander to see what has what regarding gear box and power valve set ups and pick the best suited through testing.

These Bikes came standard with a Keihin PWK 38 Airstriker which is from what I know a pretty schmick carb as far OEM supplied goes. One or two years down the track Kylie (thats the bikes name... thanks Josh...) will get a real nice Lectron feeding her methanol because beach races are pretty full on... She's also got a Boyesen Rad valve, probs needs new reeds though.

Slosh 112
1/25/2017 2:56am
I reckon this bike was freestyle bike in a past life, it had a few stickers on it from a local FMX crew that was really popular at around the time this bike was new, plus It has copped a fair hiding. Subframe is bent down over an inch on the right hand side, seat was missing, Rear master cylinder & lever were missing, right side footpeg mounts have been broken off and been repaired & the frame is cracked on the front down tube where it meets the lower cradle rails. Its had a hard life, but then I pulled the front end off and had a look at the triple clamps...

Thats a fair decent crack in the lower right side clamp. See that pinkish red sharpie marking point? I didnt put that there, thats how I noticed the crack & it shows how deep it is. Could be wrong but I reckon Kylie has had herself a high altitude mishap... We will fix the whole show any way.

Post a reply to: 300SX Beach race/hill climb/drag racer.

The Latest