Vintage Inspired 2017 FC 350

swatdoc
Edited Date/Time 6/12/2017 9:29am
Bought a new 350 a few weeks ago, and before the first ride I had it dropped off at Dan Crower Racing for a little work. Dan pulled the top end off the brand new motor, installed his cams, ported the head, installed an HGS exhaust, and then dyno tuned it with a new Vortex ignition. The end result showed 63.5 hp. I think it's gonna be a screamer!

I have all kinds of goodies to install on it, including a brand new pair of CV AER forks and Trax shock from Billy at Powerband Racing.

Other misc parts:
White/black Tusk wheelsets
Motostuff 280mm front disc kit, with their standard size rear disc
Renthal rear sprocket with RK MXZ4 gold chain
Boyesen supercooler waterpump with CV4 radiator cap, red Samco hoses
Neken SFS top triple clamps with Twisted Engineering composite bars and Arc memlon levers
Acerbis white frame guards, white skid plate, and white front disc guard
Think Technology seat foam with Motoseat cover
Rekluse clutch
Misc red anodized do-dads and bolts (very difficult to find for a Husky)
Stevie at Phil Denton Engineering is making one of their new rear suspension knuckles for me and will be anodizing it red. They are the same dimensions as used by one of the MXGP2 teams.

I'll eventually be installing a Honda steering stabilizer, but have to get the mount made and then welded onto the frame like I did for my '16 KTM 350. The bolt-on mount that Ride Engineering makes won't work when using the Neken SFS triple clamps.

For graphics - I'm doing something that I've never seen before. I'll keep modern styling, but it will be retro/vintage inspired. You should get an idea from the fact I'll have a lot of red parts on the bike. Elusive is working on them now.

Should be a fun bike to ride. Unfortunately for me, my buddy Carl will get the first couple of chances to ride it before me. My bike is at his place in California, and I'll have to fly over from Hawaii first chance I get to race it. Probably at an OTHG vet race, or maybe the Saturday REM race at Glen Helen. This bike should rip up those hills!

I'll be posting up some pics when I get things together
|
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
5/10/2017 8:34pm
Holy shit this girl will be gnarly as fuck!! Hold on tight!!

The Shop

Motofinne
5/12/2017 2:20am
Can't wait to see more pics, this bike will be awesome!
Pirate421
5/12/2017 5:06am
I'm in. 63 hp for the 350 is unreal. Cannot fathom why no other manufacturers make these yet. If I had the cash I'd have one of these in my garage. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
erik_94COBRA
5/12/2017 6:20am
Can you show the whole dyno chart? Would like to see how the power is further down in the RPM range.

Sounds like a sweet setup!
HackMan162
5/12/2017 7:13am
Do you have a plot of the stock numbers? That 63.5 number is worthless without knowing what you started with... (Though it is impressive).
swatdoc
5/12/2017 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 7:08pm
Hackman - Dan dyno'd the bike stock - it was literally delivered new to his shop. It hit 53.5 hp. I didn't see Dan ever post a pic of the stock dyno run. In the Feb issue of MXA they dyno'd their FC350 at 54.75 hp. So Dan's dyno runs a tad lower, although that could be due to the motor being brand new and not broken in yet, or merely the usual differences in dynos, different temps on test days, etc. Overall pretty close though.

Dan then installed the HGS exhaust, then tuned the bike for MR12 race gas with a Vortex ignition. My bike hit damn near 59 hp doing just that. Here's a pic of the dyno:

You can see on that graph that the bike hits peak around 13K rpm. If you transpose the graph onto the last dyno run, the motor is hitting peak hp at 14K rpms, but still has 50hp down to 9K

Overall picked up another 5hp with cams and porting

Hitting 58hp - the power of a stock KTM 450 (the fastest 450) at about 10,800 rpms (450 makes that at 9K)
Hitting 60hp at about 11,300 rpms

I'll need to scream this baby if I want that peak power - 5 additional horsepower from 11K to 14K

Should be killer on starts

yz133rider
5/14/2017 7:42am
Picked up 10 HP seemingly pretty easily! That's super impressive!
swatdoc
5/18/2017 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2017 10:37pm
small update:

I just finalized the graphics with Jared at Elusive Graphics. He does really great work, and is one of only a few companies I know of that can do a chrome graphic.

As you can see, I wanted graphics that would reflect the vintage style of the Huskys from the 70's and early 80's, but yet retain modern styling. The silvery area on the radiator shrouds will actually be chrome, like the vintage bikes - it just won't show as chrome in the pic here. Went with all vintage style logos as well (except for the Hotwheels, which I just liked). I pretty much came up with this design myself. Ever since this style of plastics came out on last years model, I thought they would lend themselves to this kind of a design. Jared took my thoughts and ideas, and made them a reality with his graphics skills.

Hopefully I have achieved my goal. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that don't like it, but I'm actually very happy with how they look. I think it'll look nice with the white Tusk hubs, and all of the red anodized accessories.

I went with the vintage O'Brian style numbers similar to what Marty Smith used to run.

My buddy Carl will be racing it this weekend at Milestone. Then I'll be flying over next month to race the bike at LACR on June 11th. Should be able to post up pics then - June 10th will be the big build day.

5/19/2017 8:54am

keep on sending more info
saving for 350 next year although I´m not man enough to hammer a 350 or any bike for more than 3 laps... Wink

Happy in this life maybe next life I´m born in some African country and cant afford enough food..

Enjoy this life Vital members !

ledger
5/19/2017 9:39am
swatdoc wrote:
small update: I just finalized the graphics with Jared at Elusive Graphics. He does really great work, and is one of only a few companies I...
small update:

I just finalized the graphics with Jared at Elusive Graphics. He does really great work, and is one of only a few companies I know of that can do a chrome graphic.

As you can see, I wanted graphics that would reflect the vintage style of the Huskys from the 70's and early 80's, but yet retain modern styling. The silvery area on the radiator shrouds will actually be chrome, like the vintage bikes - it just won't show as chrome in the pic here. Went with all vintage style logos as well (except for the Hotwheels, which I just liked). I pretty much came up with this design myself. Ever since this style of plastics came out on last years model, I thought they would lend themselves to this kind of a design. Jared took my thoughts and ideas, and made them a reality with his graphics skills.

Hopefully I have achieved my goal. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that don't like it, but I'm actually very happy with how they look. I think it'll look nice with the white Tusk hubs, and all of the red anodized accessories.

I went with the vintage O'Brian style numbers similar to what Marty Smith used to run.

My buddy Carl will be racing it this weekend at Milestone. Then I'll be flying over next month to race the bike at LACR on June 11th. Should be able to post up pics then - June 10th will be the big build day.

Awesome idea on the graphics, I was wondering when someone would take this approach on the Husky. The chrome on red takes me back to the showroom floor back in the 70's, props on the old school Fox head also. Looking fwd to seeing the graphics on the bike.
JBlain619
5/19/2017 11:33am
swatdoc wrote:
small update: I just finalized the graphics with Jared at Elusive Graphics. He does really great work, and is one of only a few companies I...
small update:

AWESOME!!! I was going to do the exact same thing to my 450! Looks great, can't wait to see it on the bike!
5/19/2017 7:35pm
Did you perform the factory-recommended 30 minute pre-ride engine warm up? Wink
swatdoc
5/19/2017 8:12pm
Thanks guys!

Ace - yea unfortunately! Good thing is my motor builder and KTM Factory Services both told me I should be fine since it didn't boil over or lose coolant (miraculously). Did tell my buddy in no uncertain terms to never do that again though!!
5/20/2017 4:51pm
Good deal! Yeah, if you didn't lose coolant then your motor is fine. My stupid rmz loses half it's coolant if it sits longer thsn.a minute or two.
swatdoc
5/20/2017 7:48pm
I can only guess that it was pretty cool in the morning there in Murrieta, and my buddy said there was a decent breeze. That could easily have been a $4K mistake.

Dirtdemon - you're not alone - I have so few opportunities to ride/race, that I get horrible arm pump w/I about 3 laps like you do. I'm hoping once I retire and can ride on a weekly basis, that it will go away. If not, I'll be contacting Zach Osbourne's Dr. ! LOL It's actually pretty serious - I lose about 60-70% of my grip strength and can barely hold on - kinda scary.
jeffro503
5/21/2017 8:28pm
Good lord! 63 HP 350....freakin' beast! Like to see some pics after those graphics are put on. Great idea!
Brent
5/24/2017 8:57pm
this is an interesting topic for me, I have a 17 KTM 350 and I would love to get some more torque down low, gearing up on the rear sprocket can only take it so far...
swatdoc
5/24/2017 9:31pm
Brent - my buddy raced the bike this past weekend at Milestone. He said there was enough power to easily leave the bike in third gear the whole track. Dan Crower pretty much said the same thing - he runs a KTM 350 and has pretty much the same exact mods.
MotoMatt_928
5/25/2017 8:10am
Brent wrote:
this is an interesting topic for me, I have a 17 KTM 350 and I would love to get some more torque down low, gearing up...
this is an interesting topic for me, I have a 17 KTM 350 and I would love to get some more torque down low, gearing up on the rear sprocket can only take it so far...
I went up one tooth on the rear sprocket, then drilled out the side panels and airbox on my Husky 350. That helped quite a bit, but I think what gave me the most torque down low, was the FMF exhaust. I use the longer "SX-style" header, versus the short one.
swatdoc
5/25/2017 10:49pm
I'm thinking about drilling some holes in my airbox and side panel too. Do you have a pic of how you did yours?
MotoMatt_928
5/26/2017 10:27am
swatdoc wrote:
I'm thinking about drilling some holes in my airbox and side panel too. Do you have a pic of how you did yours?
Here you go

swatdoc
5/26/2017 4:57pm
Thanks! Any mapping changes needed after that?
PRM31
6/1/2017 1:36pm
swatdoc wrote:
small update:

Can't wait to see pics!
swatdoc
6/3/2017 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 5:22pm
Flying to Calif this coming Friday - should have new pics up Saturday. The new plastics/graphics just came in and they look killer
ledger
6/4/2017 12:55am
swatdoc wrote:
Flying to Calif this coming Friday - should have new pics up Saturday. The new plastics/graphics just came in and they look killer
C'mon swat...Hurry up....Whistling

Post a reply to: Vintage Inspired 2017 FC 350

The Latest