2012 yz450

Rogerson207
Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 5:45pm
Bought the bike a little over a year ago and have been slowly adding parts to it, some of the parts I have added I have pictures of and others I don't. Due to an engine failure recently, I decided to do a frame up rebuild of the bike while the motor was out getting repaired. I work and go to college still so the process may be kind of slow.

The bike currently has a full FMF system, Hot Cams builder series cam set, Dr. D radiator lowering kit and engine relocation kit, a WR linkage, Race Tech springs for my weight, MotoStuff 280mm rotor with a stainless braided brake line, Twin Air powerflow throttle body kit, and a few anodized Tusk products.

The bike the day I got it home, it was due for some cleaning the picture was taken part way through cleaning.

cleaned up, new gripper seat cover, Tag bars and some new grips, new chain and sprockets

FMF

New Acerbis plastic kit, and 180 decals graphics

The damage

|
Rogerson207
12/23/2016 10:26am
My wife found a set of red radiator hoses clearanced out on some website for 22$ so she ordered them, she knew I wanted a set of red ones for the bike but forgot that I wanted Moto Hose hoses in red. Sorry Lumpy but I will have to upgrade to your hoses sometime down the road when she forgets about the ones she got me, and unluckily for me she notices bike parts being changed or added easily. For someone who didn't know much or had rode much before she met me she sure picked up on that fast lol.

Also discovered a trick that a Yamaha offroad racing team did to a few of their rider's bikes to narrow them up, they trimmed the radiator post mounts on the frame. They had done this on their 2014-current race bikes but I figured the same could be applied to my 2012. The posts on my bike stuck out just as far or farther than the newer bikes so I ended up trimming a little over 9mm off of each post on both sides.

The only update I have to be current is that I ordered and received my Xceldyne titanium valve train parts and shipped them along with my head to Rocket Valley to get fixed and reworked with the new parts. The plan is to put a CP or CWI rod on the crank and have the transmission, clutch basket gear, water pump gear and balancer shaft and gear treated to some micropolish. Trying to decide if I want to powder coat the frame and subframe, putting a Twin Air powerflow air box kit on, maybe a carbon fiber fuel tank that someone posted up in the for sale section, Guts Phantom seat foam and a Traction MX seat cover, would love to do some titanium bolts just for the heck of it but that might be for another time on this bike as spring only going to get closer and I may run out of time and money and I want to ride!

12/27/2016 5:55am
Seems to become an solid build, the engine must have had nice top-end power with the cams and the rest? Did you tune the fuel for the mods? I have an faction Mx fuel piggyback tuner lying for your bike if you need, but the shipping from Sweden is probably more than what you can find one on CL for.
Rogerson207
12/28/2016 6:05pm
chris225 wrote:
Need cycra powerflow shrouds
I have a set that I put on a little before I tore it down, they seemed to narrow it up some and I like the style better than the OEM style shrouds. Plan on putting a Cycra lite front fender and stadium front plate on it during the build also.

The Shop

Slosh 112
12/29/2016 4:13pm
Nice! I have a 2013 YZ450F, I've been waiting for somebody to build one of these first gen reverse head YZF's, they are a great bike and I get sick of people who have never ridden one before bad mouth them just because James Stewart had a bad season on it. Nice selection of parts, I'm looking forward to this one.
YZfan1230
1/26/2017 6:30am
Looks like a good build. I agree with Slosh, I have been looking for a build on one of these because I have one as well and they're great bikes. But if you find any trick parts that won't kill the wallet I'd love to see it! Sweet bike!
Rogerson207
2/1/2017 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 6:48pm
Thanks for the posts, I too looked forward to someone posting a build on these bikes but no one else did so I will. Not much for updates at this point, the head is still at the shop I sent it to and I haven't got around to sending my trans parts off to get treated. I am hoping I get time to send it off this week. I removed the casting marks off of the head stays, coil mount bracket, wiring harness bracket and a few other brackets that bolt to the frame. Kind of surprised at the weight loss from doing just that and drilling a few holes in some of those brackets. Not a lot in total but it shaved off half a pound so far. That includes the material I removed from the radiator mounting posts and removing the plastic rear caliper guard and plastic rear rotor guard that comes on the bike when its new. I think I may remove the casting marks on the WR450 link that I put on the bike a while back and maybe the calipers also, then send the calipers off to get ceramic coated by Trick Engineering. May also send the valve cover, stator cover and clutch cover to the same place.
Rogerson207
2/24/2017 4:37pm
Some parts showed up from EBR Performance yesterday, so far this is my only update. Hoping to have time to pick up a soda blaster soon so I can clean up the frame and engine cases.

Rogerson207
3/3/2017 5:21pm
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Any update on this build?
Not really at this point, the head is at the shop. I have a long list of parts to order but have not gotten around to it yet. Once I get the head back I will probably be a little more motivated to order parts and get moving on the build. Hoping to pick up a soda blaster next week so I can clean up some parts. Thinking about scraping the titanium bolts and carbon fiber tank ideas and getting my suspension revalved instead. Getting the suspension done was another project I have been wanting to do but never got around to and then the motor let go so it became priority.
Jmicmoto13
3/3/2017 8:04pm
Sounds good. Just keep us updated. Really looking forward to this build.
3/7/2017 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2017 4:13pm
These model yz450s are nice looking bikes. Yamaha ruined the look by hiding the tank and adding the air horns to the rad shrouds.
Rogerson207
4/22/2017 1:09pm
Got the head back a little while back, only update as of right now. Money has been tighter than normal here lately so this build process has been going slower than I ever thought it would.

Post a reply to: 2012 yz450

The Latest