2012 YZ290F black & finished with pics

YZfan1230
8/11/2017 2:29pm
This is a sweet build! It motivates me to do something similar with my 13. How did you manage to paint/powdercoat the forks and frame? I would like to look into it
8/12/2017 2:28pm
YZfan1230 wrote:
This is a sweet build! It motivates me to do something similar with my 13. How did you manage to paint/powdercoat the forks and frame? I...
This is a sweet build! It motivates me to do something similar with my 13. How did you manage to paint/powdercoat the forks and frame? I would like to look into it
Thanks, I powder coated the frame and swing arm and a lot more parts. Forks you have to first strip the anodizing and then re-anodize.
8/12/2017 2:36pm
First test ride today, afr between 12-12.7 on 1/2-3/4 throttle so gonna drop the needle one clip.Didn't have room to hold it wide open for more than a second, so I will try another location tomorrow. But it feels strong already, going to be perfect when jetted!
8/16/2017 2:25pm
So this is how it turned out, mostly as I planned. But there are some details that I would have done differently, and that will be an lesson for the next bike I will do.

The Shop

JWACK
8/16/2017 2:47pm
So what are you going to tow with that Allen bolt holding the foot peg on!!!
Nice job. It came out great.
8/16/2017 3:30pm
JWACK wrote:
So what are you going to tow with that Allen bolt holding the foot peg on!!!
Nice job. It came out great.
Hahaha yeah I knew some one would hit me with those! Still waiting for my custom stainless steel ones, so I dropped in those meanwhile for the test ride and photo. Thanks!
doofy
8/16/2017 8:50pm
Ho-lee-shit that thing is a show stopper.

Ill be 100% honest, when i saw you paint the engine in my head i was thinking "oh god no why?!"

But good lord that thing is goregous. Well done my friend. It came out exceptional
doofy
8/16/2017 8:52pm
How is the bike power wise? I had a 2011 yz250f and to this day its bar none the best handling bike ive ever rode but very dissapointing power wise. If i could make one rip id have another 10-13 in a heart beat.

My 14 kx250f handled like a tug boat in comparison but it felt like it had easily 10hp more
Turbojez
8/17/2017 1:26am
That is an awesome bike man, congrats. Came out perfect.
8/17/2017 1:23pm
doofy wrote:
Ho-lee-shit that thing is a show stopper. Ill be 100% honest, when i saw you paint the engine in my head i was thinking "oh god...
Ho-lee-shit that thing is a show stopper.

Ill be 100% honest, when i saw you paint the engine in my head i was thinking "oh god no why?!"

But good lord that thing is goregous. Well done my friend. It came out exceptional
I know you mean, if I didn't go all the way with the bike it would have looked like crap! Thanks for the compliments
8/17/2017 1:28pm
doofy wrote:
How is the bike power wise? I had a 2011 yz250f and to this day its bar none the best handling bike ive ever rode but...
How is the bike power wise? I had a 2011 yz250f and to this day its bar none the best handling bike ive ever rode but very dissapointing power wise. If i could make one rip id have another 10-13 in a heart beat.

My 14 kx250f handled like a tug boat in comparison but it felt like it had easily 10hp more
I haven't had the time to test it on track yet, but it sure does feel pissed off when you hit the gas! I'm very confident that it will be just what I need, easy to ride and quick turner with enough power to have fun on sand tracks
8/20/2017 1:52pm
Here is a little jetting report from today. Found a long field with perfect soft dirt so the bike got some resistance, wot in 5th gear for approx 5 sec showed 10,5:1 afr with 190 main. Swapped to 178 and that gave 12:1 afr. Then I tried 172 main and that seemed to be the one, 13:1 afr. Unfortunately I ran out of gas during that last test run, and had to walk home. Next step will be to dial in part load with the needle. Bike sounds and feel great! But got a little worried when it shut down, I thought wtf did I melt the piston or something.
8/31/2017 11:11am
Damn! Such an amazing build. Saw it on instagram and was already impressed, now, reading through the build thread, I'm even more stoked. Good work!
Slosh 112
9/1/2017 8:04pm
Man I really like the way it came out! nice job!
9/2/2017 7:36pm
Extemely nice and exotic bike, now for the head being sandblasted, how did no abrasvies get in? I would think it would be powerful enough to push through.
lumpy790
9/3/2017 7:55am
One of the coolest builds I have ever seen!

IMO I would not use regular paint on the radiators as it will not give off as much heat as the special auto motor ceramic heat paint
9/4/2017 12:02pm
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

The bike has now 4 hours on it and it works great!
The 2 first rides was at a sand track here in stockholm (called "uringe"), the only problem was my self not being able to hold on to the bike (haven't ridden for almost 10 years). But the few moments that I got some flow, the bike felt better than anything I have ever used before! Engine is a savage, pulls hard all the way. Perfect. Suspension works very good also, saved me a few times when it was bumpy in the wet and rutted sand.

Yesterday I went enduro riding with a few people, and surprisingly it worked sweet there also. The only exception was the forks being a little stiff at rockiest parts, but the ohlins shock sucked up all of it. The Magura clutch lever was totally awesome in the woods, same feeling all the time so it was easy to learn the clutch characteristics.

The only thing I need to focus on now, is to get in shape to use this bike to the fullest

9/4/2017 12:16pm
lumpy790 wrote:
One of the coolest builds I have ever seen! IMO I would not use regular paint on the radiators as it will not give off as...
One of the coolest builds I have ever seen!

IMO I would not use regular paint on the radiators as it will not give off as much heat as the special auto motor ceramic heat paint
I had my thoughts on that, but no worries there. I have digital temp gauge on the bike and it never got over 65.C/149.F on the track in heavy wet sand. It's nice to see what the temperature really is, and realize that an aftermarket high flow water pump is a true waste of money.

Post a reply to: 2012 YZ290F black & finished with pics

The Latest