2008 yz125

Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/18/2017 6:18am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2021 6:12am
Hey guys, here is my yz125 that I'm doing a frame up on.
Basically I wanted a 125 that looked good, one that I could keep for a while and ride when it suits. I'm also planning on finding a 08 250 and pretty much doing the same thing.
Here's a couple photos from the build so far:

Motor on the bench, it got a new crank, main bearings, gaskets, seals, piston and ring.

What I'm working with at the moment, a pile of parts.

Frame after the coaters. I got it done "Ace Black" which is a middle ground between flat and Matt. I'm hoping this will help the more blinged out parts stand out more.

Here are the hubs, turned down and coated. This colour is a copper metallic.

Wheels laced. Stock rims, excel stainless spokes.

[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/18/182129/s1200_IMG_3802.jpg" class="img-fluid" />
Box of parts from BTO. Fmf fatty and shorty for the pipe and silencer. The spokes for the wheel set. Renthal kevlar grips. VForce 3 reed valve. Galifer steel braided front brake line.

And the frame how it sits now.

Next on the agenda is sending the triple clamps in to be coated the same colour as the hubs, and the suspension to be serviced.

More photos to come.

|
Jmicmoto13
3/18/2017 9:11am
Love black framed bikes. Great start to the build.
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/18/2017 7:42pm
I got the wheels laced up, but the front isn't quite right. As you can see, the nipples on the rear go all the way through, and the fronts dont. Not quite sure what to do because I was hoping they'd just slip right in. Any suggestions would be great!

JWACK
3/18/2017 8:44pm
You will have to drill each nipple hole to get the correct fit. Nice work. I dig the frame.

The Shop

Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/18/2017 9:09pm
JWACK wrote:
You will have to drill each nipple hole to get the correct fit. Nice work. I dig the frame.
That won't damage the strength of the rim? Because that's what I was thinking, just didn't want to start boring shit out and end up cracking a rim
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/19/2017 4:24pm

Ready for the powder coaters tonight, casting marks removed
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/23/2017 1:29am

Triple clamps back from powder coaters. That's the last of the parts that need coating so from here on in it's finding time to work on it and waiting for parts!
Helder
3/23/2017 2:50am
Great Northern in the USA...really??!!
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/23/2017 4:30am
Helder wrote:
I'm from AUS. Dunno how to change my profile Dry
Good beer though
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/26/2017 3:25am
So, Not much got done in the short time I worked this afternoon.
Footpegs got installed

Here are a few "before photos" for you guys

This is one of the power valve cover fasteners, too stretched to go back in. Someone over tightened these.

These are the chain tension bolts, the bolt head/threads look good (once they're cleaned up) but the nuts are too rounded off to go back on so they'll need replacing.

That's all for now!

yjgfikl
3/26/2017 1:58pm
Hoooooly crap that power valve cover fastener. Are the threads in the engine case ok?
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/26/2017 3:27pm
yjgfikl wrote:
Hoooooly crap that power valve cover fastener. Are the threads in the engine case ok?
Yeah, because that got fully stripped down and everything was inspected. It's pretty darn rooted
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/27/2017 2:52am

First round of sanding done on the linkage
smezmx
3/27/2017 12:47pm
Smile
nicko-31
3/27/2017 3:08pm
Fresh wrote:
I got the wheels laced up, but the front isn't quite right. As you can see, the nipples on the rear go all the way through...
I got the wheels laced up, but the front isn't quite right. As you can see, the nipples on the rear go all the way through, and the fronts dont. Not quite sure what to do because I was hoping they'd just slip right in. Any suggestions would be great!

I would Not start drilling out your rims. On my Tusk built wheels and stock wheels the rear nipples are bigger in the rear than the front.Did you possibly install the front nipples in the back wheel.? If not call BTO and ask for their input.
Helder
3/27/2017 4:57pm
Helder wrote:
Fresh wrote:
Good beer though
The best beer!!
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/27/2017 6:20pm
Fresh wrote:
I got the wheels laced up, but the front isn't quite right. As you can see, the nipples on the rear go all the way through...

nicko-31 wrote:
I would Not start drilling out your rims. On my Tusk built wheels and stock wheels the rear nipples are bigger in the rear than the...
I would Not start drilling out your rims. On my Tusk built wheels and stock wheels the rear nipples are bigger in the rear than the front.Did you possibly install the front nipples in the back wheel.? If not call BTO and ask for their input.
I've been told to drill and not to drill, so I've got no idea what to do. I'm thinking about just getting some new black rims. And no, I did not use the rears in the front and fronts in the rear. The stock nipples and the front rims nipple holes have a size difference of 0.2mm. The Excel spoke nipples are 8.3mm, the nipple holes are 8mm. So taking .5 of a mill out of the holes wouldn't do too much damage would they?
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/28/2017 1:36am
Helder wrote:
Fresh wrote:
Good beer though
Helder wrote:
The best beer!!
One of, for sure. I don't mind some 150 lashes though, or a classic VB!
yjgfikl
3/28/2017 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 6:40pm
After all this effort with coating the hubs and re-lacing the wheels, why not go with black (or other) rims?
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/28/2017 9:39pm
yjgfikl wrote:
After all this effort with coating the hubs and re-lacing the wheels, why not go with black (or other) rims?
That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing now that the nipples don't go through
nicko-31
3/30/2017 2:10am
Fresh wrote:

nicko-31 wrote:
I would Not start drilling out your rims. On my Tusk built wheels and stock wheels the rear nipples are bigger in the rear than the...
Fresh wrote:
I've been told to drill and not to drill, so I've got no idea what to do. I'm thinking about just getting some new black rims...
I've been told to drill and not to drill, so I've got no idea what to do. I'm thinking about just getting some new black rims. And no, I did not use the rears in the front and fronts in the rear. The stock nipples and the front rims nipple holes have a size difference of 0.2mm. The Excel spoke nipples are 8.3mm, the nipple holes are 8mm. So taking .5 of a mill out of the holes wouldn't do too much damage would they?
Fresh, I'm just trying to keep you from possibly making a mistake you won't be able to undo.You already have a lot of time and money into this bike that for your own sake get a hold of whom you bought the spokes from and ask ! That way you can be confident that it will work and you won't have any issues. I'm confident in your ability.
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/30/2017 5:31am
nicko-31 wrote:
Fresh wrote:
I've been told to drill and not to drill, so I've got no idea what to do. I'm thinking about just getting some new black rims...
nicko-31 wrote:
Fresh, I'm just trying to keep you from possibly making a mistake you won't be able to undo.You already have a lot of time and money...
Fresh, I'm just trying to keep you from possibly making a mistake you won't be able to undo.You already have a lot of time and money into this bike that for your own sake get a hold of whom you bought the spokes from and ask ! That way you can be confident that it will work and you won't have any issues. I'm confident in your ability.
I've decided to go with the black rims, they'll line up. You're right though, if I'm gonna go all out I may as well go all out Woohoo
yjgfikl
3/30/2017 9:58pm
Fresh wrote:
I've decided to go with the black rims, they'll line up. You're right though, if I'm gonna go all out I may as well go all...
I've decided to go with the black rims, they'll line up. You're right though, if I'm gonna go all out I may as well go all out Woohoo
Nice, should look really good! I'm interested in seeing where you get them from and for how much. I've seen decent deals on eBay sometimes for new hoops.
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/31/2017 12:36am
Fresh wrote:
I've decided to go with the black rims, they'll line up. You're right though, if I'm gonna go all out I may as well go all...
yjgfikl wrote:
Nice, should look really good! I'm interested in seeing where you get them from and for how much. I've seen decent deals on eBay sometimes for...
Nice, should look really good! I'm interested in seeing where you get them from and for how much. I've seen decent deals on eBay sometimes for new hoops.
I'll probably go BTO, mostly because I'm bulk buying from them anyway
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/31/2017 2:04am

Got the tank looking a little better, still need to clean some grime off it though, any suggestions?
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/31/2017 2:15am

Also cable tied some stuff up, builds going real slow at the moment while I Aquire more money, but I'm pushing on and doing as much as I can without spending much
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
3/31/2017 7:11am
That hub color is sweet! Powder coat you say?
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
3/31/2017 7:20am
That hub color is sweet! Powder coat you say?
Yes, powder coated! Turned down first of course. Something I didn't decide on till late though, I had the hubs turned down for like a year before I decided to go to powder with them, but that colour is what made coat them.
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
4/3/2017 4:04am

Just a little more polish. I feel the parts you bring back to life are more important on these builds than the ones you buy.
Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
8/7/2017 6:15am
I've just ordered a bunch of parts to get a rolling chassis together. Will have a heap more photos and updates very soon!

Post a reply to: 2008 yz125

The Latest