2006 YZ 125

JMFNB
6/29/2017 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 12:23pm

Well, here it goes. I've been out of the game for awhile with starting a new fam and getting sent around the world. Im finally in a good spot and put my foot down and TOLD (i asked) momma its time for a bike. I found this one on craigslist for $2500. It was in decent shape, I rode off with it for 1900$

right off the bat, we noticed it needed the linkage bearings, tires, and the front fork needed to be re-tapped.The bike was claimed to never have been raced and the maintenance paperwork he gave me when I bought it showed some promise for a shed toy. The bottom and top end were both rebuilt, although it needs a new top end, compression is a little low. Its got a brand new set of plastics, fork oil and steering bearing replace. I bought it to wrench with my little dude and have an excuse to crush more beers than i need during the week.

Here are a few more pics from the tear down

The last picture shows the 1/2" bolt the dude slammed through the fork after he stripped the 10MM out. Performance cycles down the road said he can re sleeve and tap. Stay tuned for more, in the mean time ill be in the garage with some steel wool and WD40....and beers!

|
JMFNB
6/29/2017 8:14pm

Got a little more done tonight! The linkage bearings are shot. I'll have it down to parade rest by tomorrow.
nicko-31
7/1/2017 6:29pm
Congratulations on your new bike. You simply could"Not" have chosen a better bike to buy IMHO. Hasn't changed in 12 year's. I don't know if there is a bike with more information and options out there.
crc245
7/1/2017 7:26pm
Congrats and great choice Cool

Please, don't forget to double check your shift stopper: The 2005/2006 YZingers had a ball-bearing style that implodes after minimal usage (and can take out cases/whole trans in the process). The revised part is a solid wheel, eliminating the bearing and potential problems. Link below:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/512858-replace-your-shift-stop…

Please keep us updated and congrats again!

The Shop

JMFNB
7/2/2017 11:37am
I got started on cleaning up the linkage this weekend with a file and sandpaper. I've got a lot of the casting marks off. I'm pumped on how they are turning out. I have the All Balls linkage and swingarm bearing kits on order. Should have them installed this week sometime.

CRC245- thanks for the info! I literally started this thing and went through the gears 1 time during the purchase process and inspection. Before I fire her back up again, that shift stopper WILL be changed to the 07 part #.

Some other things i as planning on doing:

Pull the hubs and turn down....I have a lathe at work
Cerakote/powder coat some pieces.
Suspension refresh
Top end
Shift stopper
New clutch...basket is grooved pretty bad.

With the clutch, haven't pulled yet, if the basket is grooved what can I expect to see on the inner hub and will plates need to be replaced as well?

I'll post some pics in a couple days when the linkage is ready!
7/2/2017 12:45pm
crc245 wrote:
Congrats and great choice B) Please, don't forget to double check your shift stopper: The 2005/2006 YZingers had a ball-bearing style that implodes after minimal usage...
Congrats and great choice Cool

Please, don't forget to double check your shift stopper: The 2005/2006 YZingers had a ball-bearing style that implodes after minimal usage (and can take out cases/whole trans in the process). The revised part is a solid wheel, eliminating the bearing and potential problems. Link below:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/512858-replace-your-shift-stop…

Please keep us updated and congrats again!
I scored an 06 for 1500 bucks for this exact reason, kid thought he roasted the crank and it's a $35 part Woohoo
JMFNB
7/4/2017 2:40pm

Linkage is coming along nice! I'm going to do one more round with a higher grit sandpaper than 220, they look great but the steel wool doesn't get all scratches out from the 220. 4th of July weekend slowed shipment if of the bearing kits. In the meantime I'll start on the swingarm. It has an annodizes or something of that nature finish. Any suggestions on getting the scratches out and and overall even finish? HAPPY 4th of July
JMFNB
7/4/2017 2:44pm

JMFNB
7/16/2017 9:12am
Frame is all cleaned up ready for powder coat. One of my co-workers family owns a PC company and offered to do the work at NO COST! Can't pass up on this deal

It's been a crazy weekend here in FL, spent sometime with some simple green, bar keepers best friend and some mothers aluminum polish in the garage. I am really happy how well it turned out. More work to do I'll post some more updates as I get there.

mark_swart
7/22/2017 1:32pm
I went to the 06 YZ from a 450 F this season and have no regrets after two races. I put in a V Force and will test it tomorrow, and also went with Factory Connection for suspension revalve and rebuild. It is phenomenal.
JMFNB
11/3/2017 4:51pm

Well it was very slow there for awhile. Promotions at work and hurricanes really slowed down the progress. So Ive got a few updates to share.

-Carb is in pretty good shape, just needed some TLC!

I thought this one was pretty funny, One of the guys at work said I couldn't get a mirror shine on magnesium..this was a text to him. It is getting replaced with a black cover.

This was a nice surprise, I pulled the cover to replace the infamous shift stopper to find it had already been replaced. Makes me feel like the previous owner didn't ride it hard and put it away wet!

FINALLY got the frame and swing arm back from PC...I cant be too upset because it was free. The Hurricane that Houston really slowed down the work coming out of my buddies shop. PUMPED! how well it turned out.

On to the suspension!

The rear suspension needed some love, as you can see the bump stop is all but gone due to dry rot. So I cleaned it up real good and started to pull it apart. Mind you...this is the first time I've attempted a rear shock rebuild.

I have access to a lathe at work so decided to mill out a seal bullet and save a couple buck (budget build) My buddy Dave is a prior machinist and turned this thing out in 20 minutes..THANKS DUDE!

Now onto the scariest part of this build for me. As I stated in one of my first posts on this build, the previous owner stripped the threads out of the pinch bolts for the front axel. He then SLAMMED a 1/2 bolt through and backed it up with a nut. The hole was so large and distorted it looked like a snowman without a head. So i brainstormed with a couple of the boys for a solution. Time set, held-coil were the first that were thrown around but, the hole was to big and distorted. I called ENZO to see if they had a lower fork tube laying around, to no avail. Haha, what we did next scared the shit out me. I drilled it out to get all the trash out and then cut the lower lug vertical with a half inch access that ran the length of the would be threads and started to weld it shut to re-drill and tap. I could have gone with a larger bolt and called it good but F-that.

I have to say it turned out way better than expected! I have a micro kerf carbide blade to cut the relief and then will finish both front and rear suspension rebuilds when I get back from a family vacation.

More to follow!
TomC31
11/4/2017 2:06am
Awesome stuff !
JMFNB
11/19/2017 9:00am

JMFNB
11/19/2017 9:03am
finally finished the suspension. Onto the brakes. I planned on cerakote the hangers, calipers, and master cylinders however, I'm going to hold off for a little while. Slowly starting to look like a bike again
JWACK
11/19/2017 9:10am
Looks good man. Lots of work in that fork lug!
MotoRoss678
2/12/2019 11:25am
Did you get to finish this build?
2/12/2019 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 12:23pm
Dope. I hope you slapped an Athena 144 jug on her.

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ 125

The Latest