2004 Suzuki RM125 Build

mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
Edited Date/Time 5/15/2017 10:26am

Picked up this bad boy yesterday afternoon and tore it down immediately once I got home! Rode it around and steering bearings were completely shot! And that's not where it ended. Linkage, swing arm and shock bearings are just as bad.

This is where I ended the night.

Super excited to get this thing going as I hope to have it prepared to get the frame, sub frame, and swing arm ready for powder coat tomorrow. Forks and shock body will be getting hard coat anodizing as well (fork anodize is in rough shape now).

Any suggestions on what to watch out for on this build? And any retro fitting parts from the RMZs to these bikes? Thanks!
|
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/4/2016 9:54am
vmxracer wrote:
What are your plans for it
Get a rolling chasis first. Powder coat frame, swing arm, and subframe, getting forks and shock body anodized, replace all the bearings, vforce reeds, fmf pipe, new triple clamps, leaving the motor stock so just going to check that out and make sure everything is good to go, and also looking into over sized front rotor.
BAMX
12/4/2016 10:48am
Nice...I am doing a 2004 RM125 rebuild as well. Check the frame for cracks. I have had 2 RM125's an 02 and now and 04. Both had frame cracks when I bought them. I had the same bearing issues and went with Bearing Connections kits. I will get some pics posted as soon as they come in early this coming week. The kit that I bought for my 250 Steering was way better than the All Balls kits that I have had in the past.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/5/2016 9:54am
Awesome. Just gotta pull some extra cash from some where to get the triple clamps and hoping that they come with steering stem bearings (I think they do). I'll watch for your build as well!

The Shop

mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/6/2016 10:00am
Started cleaning the cases last night just using degreaser, planning on picking up some wire brushes for the dremmel and get a cleaner look on them and to get in the crevices. Any recommendations on how to clean up the bolts? This bike has a lot of rusty pieces on that I want to get a cleaner look too!

BAMX
12/6/2016 12:12pm
I just clean the bolts with a wire wheel in the bench grinder. They aren't perfect but it does make them better. You may want to try some of that Mag Wheel cleaner on the cases. I bead blasted mine but I did the cylinder with the cleaner and it came out looking like new.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/6/2016 1:42pm
BAMX wrote:
I just clean the bolts with a wire wheel in the bench grinder. They aren't perfect but it does make them better. You may want to...
I just clean the bolts with a wire wheel in the bench grinder. They aren't perfect but it does make them better. You may want to try some of that Mag Wheel cleaner on the cases. I bead blasted mine but I did the cylinder with the cleaner and it came out looking like new.
I can't seem to find it anywhere! Went to my local Walmart and advanced auto and no one has it! Buddy of mine just gave me some advice for the cases. I didn't plan on splitting the cases so Brad blasting is out for me for the time being!
BAMX
12/6/2016 3:28pm
BAMX wrote:
I just clean the bolts with a wire wheel in the bench grinder. They aren't perfect but it does make them better. You may want to...
I can't seem to find it anywhere! Went to my local Walmart and advanced auto and no one has it! Buddy of mine just gave me...
I can't seem to find it anywhere! Went to my local Walmart and advanced auto and no one has it! Buddy of mine just gave me some advice for the cases. I didn't plan on splitting the cases so Brad blasting is out for me for the time being!
I found it at Autozone.

mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/7/2016 6:46am
Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight. Also going to get a wire brush for the dremmel and see what I can do with that. Made some good progress on it last night. Frame, Subframe, and Swingarm are out being powder coated now. Bearings should be here any day now and I'm getting a great deal on a pipe and triple clamps next week. Forks and shock are being dropped off tomorrow for anodizing and set up! Build is coming along pretty nicely I think. Also giving a shot at a set of 2008 crf front brakes (master cylinder and caliper) which will probably be here next week or the following as well.
BAMX
12/7/2016 9:29am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2016 9:32am
Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight. Also going to get a wire brush for the dremmel and see what I can do with that. Made...
Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight. Also going to get a wire brush for the dremmel and see what I can do with that. Made some good progress on it last night. Frame, Subframe, and Swingarm are out being powder coated now. Bearings should be here any day now and I'm getting a great deal on a pipe and triple clamps next week. Forks and shock are being dropped off tomorrow for anodizing and set up! Build is coming along pretty nicely I think. Also giving a shot at a set of 2008 crf front brakes (master cylinder and caliper) which will probably be here next week or the following as well.
I had front brake issues on my 2006 RM250. No matter what fluid or how much I blead them, they were spongy. On the other hand, my 02 RM 125 would stop on a dime with stock brakes. I noticed that they had different master cylinders. On one, the brake line mounts in the front (01 125) and the other the back. Being cheap, I found a used front master on Ebay for like $20 and gave it a shot. The results were amazing. After the initial pain of bleading, they pumped up and were great. If that deal doesn't come through on the CRF stuff, you may want to give it a try.

On a side note, check your carb slide. Mine came broken. Suzuki wants like $120 so I bought a whole used card on Ebay and it came with a slide that was starting to crack. I will post a pic of the slide in my build thread today or tomorrow.
DoctorJD
12/7/2016 12:53pm
BAMX wrote:
I can't seem to find it anywhere! Went to my local Walmart and advanced auto and no one has it! Buddy of mine just gave me...
Regarding the bolts, I put a fine wire wheel on one side of my bench grinder, and a cloth polishing bonnet on the other. I hit the bolt heads lightly with the wire wheel, then put some Mother's Aluminum and Mag cleaner (comes in a jar) on them and polish them with the buffer. They will shine like a new penny.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/8/2016 6:26pm
I dug into the motor and carb tonight...top end is definitely a little over due in this bike! I also pulled apart and cleaned the carb and thankfully my slide is perfect! Waiting on my frame and everything to get back so I can get this thing rolling. Also dropped off the suspension to get done tonight as well. Needless to say this build is going well and looks like I am only going to have to replace what I planned on replacing!
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/10/2016 8:07pm
Got all my bearings to me last night. Along with ordering some more motor parts! Hopefully getting frame, sub frame, and swing arm back sometime next week so I can finally start re assembling the bike. Cases are still a work in process, have 08 crf front brakes on order along with the new 05 rear brake set up. Picking up triple clamps next week. My ultimate goal is to have this completely done by the end of January! Will start to post more pictures when I get stuff back!
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/13/2016 11:54am
Well, just had to pull the trigger on a Pro Circuit Linkage Arm....mine unfortunately cracked when trying to press the bearings out. Oh well, guess an upgrade wont hurt....except the wallet
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
12/13/2016 12:23pm
I love it, the previous owner bought spoke skins for it but never once touched the stem bearings or linkage, that bearing looks like it's from a 1970s bike!
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/13/2016 5:53pm
Oh I know lol. I swear I think it was a bike that just sat and collected rust. The bottom end felt like it was new but all the bearings were rusted to all hell. And those spoke skins are coming off ASAP. Lol I'd like to get new wheels but it's not in the budget unfortunately
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/16/2016 6:02pm
Finally got some parts in!

And the CRF front brakes!

And the radiators cleaned up!

And the motor all put together!

And finally got the frame back from powder coating!

Going to start assembling tomorrow and see where we are at from there! Excited to finally get this thing back together! Also got a call tonight saying my suspension should be done by Monday so pretty excited for that as well!
Slosh 112
12/16/2016 11:19pm
As far as brakes go on the RM's you can get a lot of that spongy feel out with adjustment at the lever. I ended up fitting a Motostuff 280mm blade kit on mine with the original MC and i had to adjust the lever back in to get some modulation into it because the brakes were too much at first when i wasn't used to it.

With your cracked linkage, were you trying to press them out from one side to the other? because the oem linkage is shouldered on the inside and the bearing outer race presses in upto that shoulder, you have to pull them out from each side. I put my linkage in the oven for half an hour and they came out relatively easily after that.

with your bolts its very time consuming to clean each one, I sent all the engine hardware, axles, and some of the bigger more expensive bolts and fitting away to be re plated, not sure about where you are but for my it was around $1 per part on average. Buy yourself a Bolt (thats the brand) full kit and replace the ones you can and send the rest off for replating

mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/17/2016 5:44pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
As far as brakes go on the RM's you can get a lot of that spongy feel out with adjustment at the lever. I ended up...
As far as brakes go on the RM's you can get a lot of that spongy feel out with adjustment at the lever. I ended up fitting a Motostuff 280mm blade kit on mine with the original MC and i had to adjust the lever back in to get some modulation into it because the brakes were too much at first when i wasn't used to it.

With your cracked linkage, were you trying to press them out from one side to the other? because the oem linkage is shouldered on the inside and the bearing outer race presses in upto that shoulder, you have to pull them out from each side. I put my linkage in the oven for half an hour and they came out relatively easily after that.

with your bolts its very time consuming to clean each one, I sent all the engine hardware, axles, and some of the bigger more expensive bolts and fitting away to be re plated, not sure about where you are but for my it was around $1 per part on average. Buy yourself a Bolt (thats the brand) full kit and replace the ones you can and send the rest off for replating

Slosh your build is what made me want to do one. I was thinking the 280 kit but I can't justify close to $500 on brakes lol. I've already purchased a bolt kit and during reassembly today I replaced most of the bolts. The guy who owned this bike before definitely wasn't using the oem rear axle so I'm going to be ordering the correct size come Monday. I am in South Central Pennsylvania. Not sure of anyone who does zinc coating around here, but thanks for the idea!
12/17/2016 9:30pm
I live in the Etters/Lewisberry area Mike and I honestly can't think of a place that does plating around here like that. I'll ask around..
Slosh 112
12/18/2016 4:07am
Slosh your build is what made me want to do one. I was thinking the 280 kit but I can't justify close to $500 on brakes...
Slosh your build is what made me want to do one. I was thinking the 280 kit but I can't justify close to $500 on brakes lol. I've already purchased a bolt kit and during reassembly today I replaced most of the bolts. The guy who owned this bike before definitely wasn't using the oem rear axle so I'm going to be ordering the correct size come Monday. I am in South Central Pennsylvania. Not sure of anyone who does zinc coating around here, but thanks for the idea!
Cheers mate, good to hear people like my RM.

That brake set up owes me over 700 with the Aussie dollar vs US dollar rate at the time and I bought the wrong bracket the first time around due to poor researching on my behalf. if you can't find anyone that can do it near you Its not too hard to piece together a zinc plating kit, the hard part is getting the sequence correct to get a good outcome but nothing a bit of practice and set up couldn't fix, theres probably a how to video on you tube. some of those bigger items on the bike are pretty expensive to replace, I paid $40 just for the sump plug.

By the way the correct combo is YZF (like 98 - current) disc and RMZ/KXF (current) calliper bracket
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/18/2016 8:48pm
I live in the Etters/Lewisberry area Mike and I honestly can't think of a place that does plating around here like that. I'll ask around..
I live in Dover and I have no idea who would. I'll have to do some more research tomorrow at work! But I did get some more put together last night so I'll post pictures tomorrow!
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/19/2016 10:16am
Here is where it sits now!

And just picked up the suspension!

12/19/2016 11:31am
Here is where it sits now! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/19/164770/s1200_IMG_9658.jpg[/img] And just picked up the suspension! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/19/164772/s1200_IMG_9662.jpg[/img]
Here is where it sits now!

And just picked up the suspension!

Put a full wrap on the forks! I had a black anodized pair and it sucks ass when they start to get pitted from roost
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/19/2016 11:57am
Put a full wrap on the forks! I had a black anodized pair and it sucks ass when they start to get pitted from roost
Will do! Thanks for the look out!
BAMX
12/19/2016 2:01pm
Forks and shock look sweet.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/20/2016 9:29am
Got the shock on last night and mocked up what the forks will look like...pretty excited to say the least. Ordered the finishing touches yesterday and hoping they will be here before Christmas!

mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/26/2016 7:33pm
Got some updates!!!

The crf caliper does not work so I will need to figure out what I want to do there...

I love the way those fmf pipes look! I'm gonna dig into figuring out brakes this week along with getting the final touches figured out. Super excited to finally be able to rip this thing....and also, had to start it to calm my anxiety
Jmicmoto13
12/27/2016 7:35am
Such a sick looking RM. I agree with the above post trying to keep those beautiful black forks wrapped up. Check this place out for some sick wraps:
http://www.factoryarme.com
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
12/27/2016 9:43am
Let us know what works as far as brakes go. I have an 05 RM250 and am trying to find out what caliper/MC would work well. I hear so much debate over the CRF mod...some claim it works and some say it won't bolt up. Be curious to learn what works for you.

Post a reply to: 2004 Suzuki RM125 Build

The Latest