1999 Honda cr250

Related:
Create New Tag

rj06

Vital MX member rj06
59000 rj06 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/all 08/08/17 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/setup 3 7

Posts: 10

Joined: 8/8/2017

Location: AUS

8/9/2017 3:07 PM

Looking at one that has a fully rebuilt engine 15hrs ago. Plastics aren't great but the rest of the bike seems to be in ok condition. How was the frame and overall reliability and power of the motor? I'm getting it for $2000 Australian dollars

tempura

Vital MX member tempura
47390 tempura http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/47390/avatar/c50_image_1471072505.jpg?1471071797 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/tempura,47390/all 05/18/15 1 25 1519 18 1

Posts: 1544

Joined: 5/18/2015

Location: JPN

8/9/2017 6:21 PM

Didn't they come with the first gen alloy frames?

"Nothing happens until something moves"

rj06

Vital MX member rj06
59000 rj06 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/all 08/08/17 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/setup 3 7

Posts: 10

Joined: 8/8/2017

Location: AUS

8/9/2017 7:01 PM

tempura wrote:

Didn't they come with the first gen alloy frames?

I think so. I was wondering how they handled since being the first one.

tempura

Vital MX member tempura
47390 tempura http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/47390/avatar/c50_image_1471072505.jpg?1471071797 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/tempura,47390/all 05/18/15 1 25 1519 18 1

Posts: 1544

Joined: 5/18/2015

Location: JPN

8/9/2017 7:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 7:33 PM

The first gen alloy frames are possibly the worst frames to grace the CR.
Most people don't like the way those first gen frames made the bike feel.
Be warned.
I think the 99 did have some slight changes to the original frame(97?), but it's still first gen.

"Nothing happens until something moves"

rj06

Vital MX member rj06
59000 rj06 /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/all 08/08/17 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/rj06,59000/setup 3 7

Posts: 10

Joined: 8/8/2017

Location: AUS

8/10/2017 12:23 AM

tempura wrote:

The first gen alloy frames are possibly the worst frames to grace the CR.
Most people don't like the way those first gen frames made the bike feel.
Be warned.
I think the 99 did have some slight changes to the original frame(97?), but it's still first gen.

I'm worried cause I'm still an intermediate at the track too. I have a 16 crf250r and had an rm 250 but sold it to buy a 125 then this popped up

H4L

Vital MX member H4L
51473 H4L http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/51473/avatar/c50_H4L_photo_96848_1458328084.jpg?1458327318 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/H4L,51473/all 03/18/16 2 301

Posts: 303

Joined: 3/18/2016

Location: CA, USA

8/10/2017 6:50 AM

Owned a 97 CR250r (97-99 1st gen AF) & a 01 CR2 model (00-01 2nd gen AF). They were a couple of the worst bikes owned due to the stiffness of the chassis. They were very rigid & weren't forgiving plus didn't turn well. YZ & RM 250's are a much better choice in the 97-01 yrs era.
If your looking for a CR the 3rd gen 02-07 model is as good as it gets when it comes to a chassis. Excellent stability with good flex with exceptional turning. I've ridden mx bikes for 4 decades & have yet to ride a better chassis.

omalley

Vital MX member omalley
53474 omalley /images/default/avatar/c50.png http://www.vitalmx.com/community/omalley,53474/all 07/27/16 11 358

Posts: 369

Joined: 7/27/2016

Location: Snohomish, WA USA

8/10/2017 7:13 AM

H4L wrote:

Owned a 97 CR250r (97-99 1st gen AF) & a 01 CR2 model (00-01 2nd gen AF). They were a couple of the worst bikes owned due to the stiffness of the chassis. They were very rigid & weren't forgiving plus didn't turn well. YZ & RM 250's are a much better choice in the 97-01 yrs era.
If your looking for a CR the 3rd gen 02-07 model is as good as it gets when it comes to a chassis. Excellent stability with good flex with exceptional turning. I've ridden mx bikes for 4 decades & have yet to ride a better chassis.

+1. The 97 made a lifelong Honda rider (me) switch to Kawasaki. Horrible. Sold it after 5 rides. I came back to Honda in 02 and the 02 CR250 was without a doubt my favorite chassis of all time. I actually liked the motor as well, although many didn't.

H4L

Vital MX member H4L
51473 H4L http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/51473/avatar/c50_H4L_photo_96848_1458328084.jpg?1458327318 http://www.vitalmx.com/community/H4L,51473/all 03/18/16 2 301

Posts: 303

Joined: 3/18/2016

Location: CA, USA

8/10/2017 7:34 AM

omalley wrote:

+1. The 97 made a lifelong Honda rider (me) switch to Kawasaki. Horrible. Sold it after 5 rides. I came back to Honda in 02 and the 02 CR250 was without a doubt my favorite chassis of all time. I actually liked the motor as well, although many didn't.

Agree. I also like the case reed engine & is my favorite. It's a versatile engine that can be tuned to be very potent / fast if you ride mx or tuned for woods. Have an 03 CR2 model that has PC cyl / head mods that is the fastest 250 2t engine I've had the pleasure to own or ride. The 02-07 3rd gen AF CR250r models with some tweaks are an exceptional mx package.